Username Post: white ink and stamping questions        (Topic#1539375)
lifekeepshappening
Tenant
lifekeepshappening

Hi there, I'm very excited to be here!! I am working on an art journal rather than a scrapbook, but it's still paper-art and what I've seen here in terms of the store and gallery makes me think this is the place to be.

This is my first post and I'm full of questions.

1. Can anyone recommend a really good white ink pad? I want something that is going to show up on very dark/black backgrounds. I bought one pad from Stampabilities and I'm glad I bought it on sale because... I get nothing from it. Maybe I'm not doing it right or maybe it isn't the right type of ink?

2. Can anyone recommend fine tip markers (fine enough to write small with) that can write on dark papers? I'm looking for white again. I've looked at packs of gel pens at Michaels and Hobby Lobby. Can't decide what to get without being able to test them if they're going to work.

3. Can anyone recommend a brand of black glitter glue? I want it to be actual glitter, not black paint with gold and iridescent flecks.

4. How do I stamp (especially letter stamps) without getting the edge of the stamp marking the page? I don't know if I'm inking the stamps wrong or putting them down on the page wrong - all I know is that it's an unhappy mess.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou to anyone who can help me with these questions! My budget is thinner than a shoestring, so I'd rather save up and buy a product that will definitely do the job than waste money buying stuff that doesn't quite hit the mark.

afilatreau
Pro
afilatreau
In response to lifekeepshappening

I have found that the white Signo pen does an awesome job of writing on dark cardstock. It is a highly recommended item for doing so.

I don't know of black glitter glue with gold flecks, however, the Stickles brand glitter glue is awesome!

Stamping takes a lot of practice to obtain the desired effect. One tip is to apply the ink to the stamp and not the stamp directly on top of the ink pad.

Also, I have used white chalk inks on dark cardstock with good results. I'm sure others can tell you of a better way to go if there is one, but I use white Tsukineko chalk ink and like the results.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to afilatreau

don't bother with staz-on white ink. My pad dries up all the time. I have the reinker too and it just plain old sucks IMO. I have yet to find a white ink that makes me happy.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Seaexplore

ditto on the sucky white ink out there,,,,,,the best oe I've found is a 2.00 ink pad at J's, go figure,,,,

someone really should invent a good one,,,,they'd make a mint.

rtay
rtay 
Mayor
rtay
  • rtay on 07-26-10 12:36 AM
In response to CommaHolly

As far a the white gel pen for writing on dark paper, the Signo Uniball it by far the best pen out there..they sell it here in the superstore.
I've never found a good white ink...I've had better success with white embossing powder, at least it shows up really well, plus it adds texture.
I agree with adding your ink to the stamp and not the stamp to the ink. It really does help.
And the Stickles Black Diamond glitter glue is the best....I use so much of it, I keep a minimum of 4 bottles on hand.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser

I haven't found a good white pad for stamping either... sorry about that.
But the Signo white pen is GREAT for writing on dark paper, the the Black Diamond Stickles is my fav for doing black glitter. It's perfect.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to meezerpleaser

A tip for the stamping: after you apply the ink to the stamp, wrap a tissue around your finger and run it around the edge of the stamp where there isn't supposed to be any ink to remove any that got there by mistake.

Also, try not to rock the stamp when you're mooshing it on the paper (that's a technical term, by the way, mooshing).

And ditto on the Signo. That's what I used for the doodling on this page:

Perfect Harmony By Lstory

Lisa

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to lstory

Papertrey Ink is the only white ink I've ever found that is any good! They also have a cream color as well.

If you don't have those, white embossing powder will work very well to make a bright white on any color cardstock. I used it on this card for the flowers and sentiment.
Iris Birthday Wishes By Here Kitty

lifekeepshappening
Tenant
lifekeepshappening
In response to Here Kitty

thank you so much to everyone for your advice and links. You're all so helpful and welcoming - and creative!

I'll definitely buy the Signo pen and Stickles glitter - it really helps to know which products are worth investing in when the budget is so restricted. I used to spend whatever I wanted on craft supplies, but now I'm a single mom so I'm watching the pennies on new purchases.

I'm going to take some time this week to practice with the alphabet stamps and see if I can get a better result.

It's interesting that white ink pads seem to be disappointing. I'll have to think about whether it's important enough to my pages to try embossing. I was going to do a whole book using just a black, white and red theme, but then when it came time to prepare the art journal, it seemed very repetitive for 24 pages to be only 3 colors, so I just did a "chapter" in that theme and the rest is multicolor.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I'm sure I'll be back needing more advice. Hope everyone has a great week, full of creativity and achievement.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

Signo Uniball yes, best one, I also agree with using Stickles for the glue.

As for a white ink pad, I LOVE my Archival Brilliance 'Moonlight White' ink pad. It shows up well on really dark papers. It is pigment ink, so it takes a bit to dry, but it is definitely the best one I have found.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to Manda_K

The signo pen is the best, if you are using rubber alpha stamps switch to clear. They are so much easier when you can see where you are stamping. CTMH makes a good white ink pad, its a pigment ink which makes a big difference. I also love the creative memories journalling pens but I have heard that they are made by Sakura which is sold here.
Products Referenced in This Post:

roxybonds
Veteran
roxybonds
In response to CorrieW

CTMH's white daisy pigment ink is fabulous! It does take a while to dry, but its worth the wait.

For your stamping and the line you are getting, it depends on the type/brand of your stamps. Your stamps may not be cut smoothly, getting ink on the edge of the stamps. I use acrylic stamps and use a foam pad under my paper to give it a nice cushion for stamping.

Lucyara3
New Kid On the Block
Lucyara3
In response to Seaexplore

Oh good you said that about the Stazon White Pad. I was just planning to buy one next week.

armyscraper
Veteran
armyscraper
In response to Lucyara3

I use Stampin' Up Craft Ink Pad and never had any issues. I have had it for about 5 years now and never had to replace it. However, to buy Stampin' Up products you have to find a Stampin' Up consultant.

I am with Amy with the white Signo pen it really does do an awesome job!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics