Username Post: Questions about using chipboard        (Topic#1539791)
Claggy
Claggy 
Mayor
Claggy

I have just become the proud owner of a great stash of plain chipboard pieces. There are flourishes, frames, flowers and just about everything with the exception of alphas.

My question is: What do I do with it?

I have used pattered and alpha chipboard before, and love the outcome. I am lost as to what to do with these little gems in the rough.

I didn't buy them, they were "gifted" to me because the former owner didn't have a clue as to how to use them either. I always say "yes" to freebies!

I know you creative artists out there will have tons of ideas. What are you waiting for? Get typing!

Oh, and thanks!!!!

purpledurple
Idol
purpledurple
In response to Claggy

I bought some that I didn't really like. So far I have painted them and them stamped on them. I have also covered them with glitter and then put glossy accents on them to seal. I'm probably going to do some embossing on some others I have and cover some with pp.

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to purpledurple

Paint dabbers are great to use on these. My favorite one was a chipboard key I used white and gold on.

caraboo
Expert
caraboo
In response to johnsusan8

You can apply paper to them and sand or ink the edges. You could use paint or ink to color them. If you have copic markers or another type of marker you could color them. You could add ribbon , bling etc.

Check out the gallery for lots of gorgeous examples...and have fun!

Claggy
Claggy 
Mayor
Claggy
In response to caraboo

I've tried the pp route, and they always look YUCK! Perhaps I need to practice more. I will try the dabbers and the embossing.

Thanks!

caraboo
Expert
caraboo
In response to Claggy

• Claggy Said:
I've tried the pp route, and they always look YUCK! Perhaps I need to practice more. I will try the dabbers and the embossing.

Thanks!

I think the pp works best with larger pieces. I have done it a few times and I loved it.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to caraboo

You can also try mists. The Maya Mists work especially well on naked chipboard.

there are new mists coming out from many manufacturers that I haven't tried, but I am sure they will work just as well.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to Nancy Keslin

I use to be into toll painting, I wasn't GOOD but I did enjoy trying and that translates well into chipboard. But really I just paint it with acrylic paints most of the time.

I've inked and chalked it too. I've also deco-ed paper on to it.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to Penny Lane

I tried using the Smooch Spritz on them for the 1st time last night and I LOVE how it looks.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to flintridgescrapper

I paint them, mist them, paper them, stickle them, ink them, covered them with flowers or buttons ... I've even used them plain a few times. I love naked chipboard.

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 07-31-10 02:03 PM
In response to madmatter

I'm another mist lover for chipboard. You can also ink or paint the edges, cover the exposed area with Glossy Accents, then cover with Martha Stewart Microbeads. Looks really cool. Have fun!

Here's a layout I did with this technique. The flowers are on the left side.

Cozy By Ami G

And here's a big naked chipboard flourish that I misted and stamped:

We Love The Fox (November/December 2009 Scrap n' Art) By Ami G

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Ami G

I like to heat emboss. Gives a great, shiny, finished look, and it's super easy.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to Bxr-Linda

Here are some ideas:
Paint them
Stamp then
Stamp them with Versamark then heat emboss them
Mist them
Paint them with glue and then add glitter
Oover with paper
Paint and then sand the edges for a shabby chic effect
distress the edges of them
use them "raw" (as they are)
Ink them (Chalk cat eyes work best for this)
Heat them in a Melting Pot and sprinkle with UTEE for a thick glaze on them
Pound them with Melody Ross CHIP ART tools
Add texture with Sizzix texture plates
Hammer them to make dimple for a distressed look

hth

S.Baker
Idol
S.Baker
In response to madmatter

I have painted them with fabric paint and loved it, you have to let it dry real good tho, so it won't feel sticky. Fabric paint is very vivrant and shiny and very economic. Oh btw when you use pp make sure you use your glue stick and your breyer to remove all the lil air bubbles it really works for me no matter how tiny the chipboard pieces are, if the pieces are to small glue your pp and then place it on the pp. Have fun.

Jordannichole
Guru
Jordannichole
In response to S.Baker

It looks like most everything I do has already been covered!!! And I got some new ideas! Glimmer mist them... hmmm. I just got my first glimmer mist, and this might be a good way to experiment with it.

Colombean
Guru
Colombean
In response to Jordannichole

acrylic paint works just fine for me! I don't use the PP route either, the edges aren't that smooth. but raw chipboard is a gem also. I have this wonderful paint that is sorta clear with silver glitter in it. when I paint the chipboard, I get a shiny, raw look with flecks of glitter. love it!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Colombean

I can't believe no one has mentioned crackle paints!!!!! Paint them, and wait several minutes,,,,after it starts to crack, you can hit it with a heat gun to speed up the drying or just wait for it to dry completely,,,,,,and then ink the edges and cracks for an even more aged look!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics