Username Post: Heat embossing technique        (Topic#1540065)
MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun

I'm going to try heat embossing this week, I purchased the powder and heating element and watched a couple of tutorials. I understand how to emboss an image from a stamp, but I don't need to do that for my current project.

I am going to emboss a die cut that is in the shape of a latch it is about 1 by 1 1/2 inches. How do I adhere the powder to the die cut? Can I use a glue like ZIG 2 way or Zip dry? Do I use a clear dye ink like I saw on the tutorials?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to MissaOnTheRun

I do this all the time. I love heat embossing chipboard shapes.

Rub your ink over the top of the shape, or press your shape down onto the top of the ink pad, then sprinkle with powder.

I wouldn't use glue.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

Do you have embossing ink?

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Bxr-Linda

Yeah, just take the ink, give it a good rub, then sprinkle, shake off excess and heat! Viola!

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to Manda_K

No ink, I saw it done with clear dye ink. Just to clarify what you are saying is to get an embossing ink pad. After I have the EIP rub latches on EIP, sprinkle with embossing powder, then heat, tada. I apologize for being cavepersony about it but I want to make sure I get the technique steps down before I go and make a mess.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome

• missafoy Said:
No ink, I saw it done with clear dye ink. Just to clarify what you are saying is to get an embossing ink pad. After I have the EIP rub latches on EIP, sprinkle with embossing powder, then heat, tada. I apologize for being cavepersony about it but I want to make sure I get the technique steps down before I go and make a mess.

Are you SURE it was dye ink? I have never even heard of clear dye ink and dye ink isn't really good for embossing with. Embossing ink is really just a slow drying ink that is sometimes clear or barely tinted, but it's not a dye ink.

Also, colored pigment inks or distress inks will work, just depends on what color/finish you want and what powder you're using.

purpledurple
Idol
purpledurple
In response to tinacome

Versamark makes a good embossing ink pad.

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to tinacome

• tinacome Said:

Are you SURE it was dye ink? I have never even heard of clear dye ink and dye ink isn't really good for embossing with. Embossing ink is really just a slow drying ink that is sometimes clear or barely tinted, but it's not a dye ink.

Also, colored pigment inks or distress inks will work, just depends on what color/finish you want and what powder you're using.

The woman on the first vid said clear dye ink. I remember because she said it dries more slowly than pigment. Since I was anaware of embossing ink I made a note to get clear dye ink. Now that I think about clear dye ink is like plastic glasses or a civil war, it just can't exist. No matter, I will procure embossing ink. I trust you all know what you're talking about.

Thanks, I will certainly look for the versamark if I get to a store this week. If not, I am sure they have it in the Superstore.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome

• missafoy Said:
  • tinacome Said:

The woman on the first vid said clear dye ink. I remember because she said it dries more slowly than pigment. Since I was anaware of embossing ink I made a note to get clear dye ink. Now that I think about clear dye ink is like plastic glasses or a civil war, it just can't exist. No matter, I will procure embossing ink. I trust you all know what you're talking about.

Thanks, I will certainly look for the versamark if I get to a store this week. If not, I am sure they have it in the Superstore.

The woman in the totorial was mistaken, dye ink dries quickly, faster than pigment ink.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to tinacome

Yeah, that woman had no idea.

Pigment ink dries slow, but it is colored. Embossing ink is clear and made that way so it is a little tacky and the powder will set.

Dye ink dries pretty quick, not a good choice for embossing!

VersaMark or Perfect Medium are both good options.

Edited by Manda_K on 08-03-10 03:02 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to Manda_K

Thanks for the clarification.

Jordannichole
Guru
Jordannichole

One last note, Tim Holtz distress pads are actually dye ink pads, it's just the way the ink was created that makes them good for embossing. Most dye inks dry a lot faster than pigments.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Jordannichole

I use the ranger ink pad (I think) for embossing ink. It's great for perfect pearls too. you can even get a pen and write/draw and emboss that. It's really fun once you start doing it. Be sure to rub your paper with a used dryer sheet or an embossing pouch before you stamp your image because the powder will leave little pieces all over the paper and you'll have speckles of embossed stuff when you're done. TRUST ME! I went for YEARS w/o the pouch/dryer sheet and could never figure out why I had powder all over the paper. It helps.

I linked to the perfect printing pouch variety that they have here in the store but I got mine at M's and used a coupon so it was SUPER cheap.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Seaexplore

Another vote for versamark here!

WendyGirl
Pro
WendyGirl
In response to scraprabbit

If you are trying heat embossing for the first time, I have a really cool technique for heat embossing. I will try to write it out, but there is also a video tutorial at tidbitzintime.com

It is a reverse embossing technique that you press your stamp down into. Any stamp works and this makes the coolest embellishments.

1. Find a blank piece of cardstock and press your stamp pad directly on the cardstock making a large enough space that your stamp will fit on.
2. Immediately dump your embossing powder onto the wet ink.
3. Shake off the excess and melt with your heat gun. Before it dries add another layer of embossing powder and melt this. Repeat thes step 4-5 times until you have a "puddle" of liquid embossing powder.
4. Before the embossing powder hardens, press your stamp into the puddle.
5. Remove the stamp and then you have a stamp reverse embossed! I love this technique. You can ink the edges of your dried, embossed embellishment to add a little more definition.

Here is an example of a card I made:

[image] Christmas Card 1 By WendyGirl[/image]

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to WendyGirl

Great technique!!! I will have to try that!

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to Manda_K

Wendy that looks great. I can't wait to try it.

Thanks again everyone.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics