Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Cricut or Cuttlebug?        (Topic#1540499)
Juliet0915
Tenant
Juliet0915

Hi everyone. I just wanted to get some opinions whether I should get a Cricut (the smaller personal machine) or the Cuttlebug ... first.

I've looked at a ton of web sites, looked at other forums, etc., and I still can't decide.

I'm a beginner scrapbooker, but I have a ton of stuff, mostly from my mom who is a scrapper but also because I have an addiction to scrapping already.

I would like to get into card making, but I'm looking for something that will cut a lot of shapes.

I definately like the embossing feature of the cuttlebug and the cost of the embossing folders, but can the cuttlebug cut a lot of stuff?

How many shapes usually come with 1 folder? When you use a folder with a sheet of paper does it cut every shape out or can you pick a particular sheet? Is the low price of folders deceptive because you have to cut out every shape and waste all the paper?

I know there's a slighly higher first time investment with the cricut, but the cartridges can be used for the expression as well, which I figure I'll eventually get in a year or so.

Or should I get the cuttlebug first to tide over until Christmas and get the Cricut then? Does anyone have both products and like them for different reasons?

Thanks in advanced for your help!

*edited for typo

Edited by Juliet0915 on 08-10-10 03:41 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MamasBoys
Resident
MamasBoys
In response to Juliet0915

I don't have a cuttlebug so I can't answer anything on that. I have both cricuts, small personal and expression, if you are planning to have them I would get the expression and skip the personal. I got the small before the expression came out and the expression can do everything the small can and soooooo much more. I got the expression on black friday for a really good price a few years ago (2 years I think). I have also seen some great prices for it lately-Menards and Walmart. Hope this helps!

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook

I have the Cricut Expression and I love it! I also have the Sizzix Texture Boutique for embossing. My sizzix also uses cuttle bug embossing folders. If it was me, I would want to buy the cricut now and get an Embosser for christmas.

Edited by debby_westbrook on 08-10-10 04:04 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to debby_westbrook

I have both and I agree if you are going to get an expression, get that instead of the personal. I love both the cricut and cuttlebug, but if I had to choose, I would go with the cricut...more flexible.

leslief
Idol
leslief

I have the Expression and the Spellbinder (similar to Cuttlebug). Definitely-- the Expression. EVERYTHING- letters, shapes, swirls can be made in different sizes, and there are A LOT more designs to choose from.

married05
Idol
married05
In response to leslief

If you're mainly wanting to cut, get a Cricut. I have the Cricut "baby bug" (the original one) and a Cuttlebug that I use mainly for embossing. When I decided on my Cricut the main reason was to be able to get a bunch of different images at once instead of having to buy individual dies for a machine like the Cuttlebug.

There are some Cuttlebug folders that come with a few dies that coordinate. (I found some a while back for $2 a set at Big Lots.)

You could always get a Cricut (the Create has most of the same features as the Expression but doesn't cost as much) for cuts, and something like the Sizzix Texture Boutique just for embossing.
Products Referenced in This Post:

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser

I have a Cricut and a Cuttlebug and I use the bug for cutting and the Cuttlebug strictly for embossing. Haven't found anything yet to beat it. If you can, get both! J's usually has them on a good sale.

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to meezerpleaser

I have the baby bug and cuttlebug. Go cricut first if you get scal you will never need a die or a cart for that matter. I use my cuttlebug only for embossing...in the mean time while you wait for a cuttlebug you can use a rolling pin with the embossing folders AND if you turn your cricut blade upside down and put your paper on foam you can emboss with your cricut too!!!!

PaperLovesGlue
Resident
PaperLovesGlue
In response to Brandilynn

• Brandilynn Said:
I have the baby bug and cuttlebug. Go cricut first if you get scal you will never need a die or a cart for that matter. I use my cuttlebug only for embossing...in the mean time while you wait for a cuttlebug you can use a rolling pin with the embossing folders AND if you turn your cricut blade upside down and put your paper on foam you can emboss with your cricut too!!!!

I have the Cricut Expression and didn't even realize I could have been embossing with it this entire time! Wow, I've been missing out. Thanks for sharing this.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to PaperLovesGlue

There is also an embossing kit for the cricut called Chomas; it comes with a 12x12 mat and blade. I can't use the mat because it is latex. You can also use a couple sheets of cardstock with the blade as mentioned above for embossing...

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to HisGEM

I have the Cricut Create (not the small one, not the large one) for cutting, and the Sizzix red for embossing (similar to the cuttlebug),,,,,

if I could only have one, i'd pick the cricut every single time! It can cut many sizes of cuts, depending on the one you purchase,,,,My sizzix CAN cut, but only the size of the die that I purchase,,,,and it does NOT take the larger "bigz" dies they have out (neither does the cuttlebug),,,,so, if I want a diecut that is smaller or larger, I am out of luck,,,,,on my cricut, I can cut any size within the perameters of my bug!

You can always pick up a cuttlebug for embossing at 40 or 50% off later, if embossing is something you'd like to do,,,and in fact, the Texture boutique will emboss at the cost of about 30 bucks! It's a great tool along with your cricut! I love to make cuts on my cricut and THEN emboss them!

I did that with this fence,,,,I cut the fence to the size I wanted, then put it through the sizzix with the "swiss dots" embossing folder.

kids By CommaHolly

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to CommaHolly

i have the red sizzix as well as the create. i use my create all the time. i love my bug. i typically use my fiskars embossing plates and my stylus when i want to emboss. but in the future, i want to try other embossing techniques as well.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to flutterbye0419

if you want something for letters get the cricut, the cuttlebug alphas are being discontinued. You can get them cheap if you want to go that route but alot of people get both so you can always add to your collection.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to CorrieW

i love my cricut expression. so much you can do with it

New Kid On the Block
In response to Just G

A site that has been answering my same questions is

Cuttlebug Embossing

I hope this helps!!!

Resident
In response to gbmerkley

Wow! It seems every time I read this forum I learn something new! It's great! I had no idea that the cricut expression could be used to emboss. What a wonderful idea! I also have a cuttle bug but as was stated previuosly, it's kind of limited. Thanks for the tip guys!!!!

lageorgiapaperie
Tenant
lageorgiapaperie
In response to eyescrapp

I can't even compare the two of them, they're so different! Although I did purchase the Sizzix Texture Boutique, and I hated it because it wouldn't fit my Fiskars texture plates, so beware if you have them!

mama_erne
New Kid On the Block
mama_erne
In response to lageorgiapaperie

Get them both LOL

Juliet0915
Tenant
Juliet0915
In response to mama_erne

As for an update, I did end up getting both. I got the Cricut when it was on sale at J's for $85 a few weeks ago and love it!

I randomly search for deals on the cuttlebug and found the cuttlebug with beginners kit at an online seller for $40 and nabbed it! It should be arriving today.

Thanks for all of the tips!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM

Have fun!! They are like peanutbutter and jelly...they go so well together!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics