Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Distress inks        (Topic#1541209)
pugs223
Idol
pugs223

I've been perusing the gallery for a while now and I love the lo's with distres ink. So I'm going to take the plunge and order a few. If you were just starting out with using these...

a) what 3-4 colors are must haves?

b) what other accessories are required? I've seen a brush, heard of spritzing with water, what do you suggest?

c) anything else I should know - I'm trying to avoid hours on youtube

TIA!

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to pugs223

I just got into Distress Inks and I love them! I highly recommend Black Soot, Walnut Stain, Frayed Burlap, Tumbled Glass, Stormy Sky and Bundled Sage. All the colors are really pretty! They do react with water, so you can ink and then spray with water for a cool feathery effect. I also suggest going on Tim's website as he demos all of his own products and gives really great tips and techniques. I watched all his videos before I purchased any of his products. OH - try his masks too! They are great with his inks or Glimmer Mists.

pieces of me
Expert
pieces of me
In response to pugs223

Are you talking about the Distress Ink pads by Tim Holtz or a distress ink spray like Tattered Angels?

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to pieces of me

Oh I had only really seen Tim Holtz, not familiar with Tattered Angels.

pieces of me
Expert
pieces of me
In response to pugs223

Tattered Angels makes Glimmer Mist sprays and other products. They have them here at SB.com.

As far as the Distress Inks, I have all the colors that have been out for a few years and honestly never use them. I tend to lean towards my Technique Tuesday mini-stamp inks pads because they are smaller and get into more intricate places on some of the new chipboards.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to pieces of me

I use Distress Inks on almost every layout! I would go through your own layouts and see what colors you use most.

I love Walnut Stain, Black Soot, Chipped Sapphire, Fired Brick, Tumbled Glass, Rusty Hinge and Pumice Stone.

DesiLee
Idol
DesiLee
In response to Manda_K

I use tea dye antique linen, and fired brick a lot.

purpledurple
Idol
purpledurple
In response to DesiLee

One of the brown colors like tea dye, walnut stain or vintage photo (and there are a couple more) are probably my go to colors....then there is fired brick, peeled paint, broken china for when ya need some color!

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 08-20-10 01:59 PM
In response to purpledurple

My 4 must-have colors:
Fired Brick, Peeled Paint, Walnut Stain and Vintage Photo.

I use a plain makeup sponge (wedge type) for inking the edges of things. Very cheap and works great. You'll love Distress Inks!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Ami G

Is it just me, or is there a very strong smell to those inks - I've been at a demo once and came away with a headache, so have been hesitant to buy them.

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 08-20-10 02:58 PM
In response to dalmation

Ohh I love all the ones mentioned but my favs are
Aged Mahogany
Broken China
Scattered Straw &
Spiced marmalade!

Happy inking!!

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 08-20-10 02:59 PM
In response to dalmation

• dalmation Said:
Is it just me, or is there a very strong smell to those inks - I've been at a demo once and came away with a headache, so have been hesitant to buy them.

I never noticed it... The one that is strong to me is the Staz on... phew!

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to Foamy

Fired Brick and Tea Dye Distress Ink are my favorites. No I have not noticed any smell from them.

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie
In response to dotfree

great.... Now I want distress inks.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to lisymarie

Yes. Yes you do. They last a long time and I never have noticed a smell.

DesiLee
Idol
DesiLee
In response to Manda_K

I haven't noticed a smell either, and I've used mine a lot.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to DesiLee

Vintage photo is a most have. Walnut is to dark on many things where the vintage photo has just a touch of orange in it that really highlights.

shae516
Guru
shae516
In response to Sneezy1956

Yesterday I bought Tea Dye, Vintage Photo, and Antique Linen. I've never used them and thought these would be good to start with.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to shae516

I have a few now. I think that Black Soot, Walnut Ink and Tea Dye would be nice starter colors.

I think a blending "tool" would be nice. I really like that effect for edges. The product below is specially made for this but I've heard of people making their own or just using things like makeup sponges to save a little money. I did buy one of the tools and accidentally pulled the wrong part loose - the sticky part instead of the velcro fastner - on very first try and have never gotten it to hold quite right again without messying up my fingers in the process. Of course, I am kind of a clutz.

I haven't experienced any powerful odor with these either.

Edited by KatieJo on 08-20-10 08:56 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to KatieJo

I like tea dye and vintage photo,,,,,WHEN I use them,,,which I don't often care to,,,,I like chalk inks for distressing much more,,,,,I think they're smoother, easier to put on,,,,but that's just me If you want to antique, I'd suggest the browns like tea dye, mahogany stain, and vintage photo.

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics