Username Post: i-rock - Can anyone share their experiences?        (Topic#1541245)
LilacGal
Expert
LilacGal

I love bling more than someone should. Has anyone used this tool? I can't seem to figure out if it will do different sized crystals or if I'd need to buy different tips or something. How does it work? Totally clueless about it here but want one for some reason! lol

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to LilacGal

I have it.

I really like it so far, haven't gotten a chance to REALLY play with it as much as I want. But it is really easy and not pricey. Once those gems are down, they are DOWN. You have to be really careful, cause that sucker gets HOT.

LilacGal
Expert
LilacGal
In response to Manda_K

What's the process for heating a gem up? Do you just touch it to the back?

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to LilacGal

I have a similar tool (tulip from M) and you heat it on the gem side not the glue/adhesive side. And yes once it is down it is down for good! I'm luvin' it!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to HisGEM

You touch it to the front. You put them down where you want them, heat up the tool, press the button and then press down really lightly on the top of the gem. The heat conducts through the stone and melts the glue on the back. It starts to give a little bit and you can feel the glue melt and you know you are done.

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to Manda_K

I just ordered one the other day and cant wait to get it!!! I love bling, but those bling adhesives can get expensive!!!

wrightaud
Pro
wrightaud
In response to m.perk

I have one and I totally thought I needed it... but honestly, I don't understand the point. Why go to all the effort of waiting to heat up a gem when you can buy gems that already come sticky?? Am I the only one who doesn't get it??

married05
Idol
married05
In response to wrightaud

Love it so far! I like the fact that the gems won't come off! Sometimes the ones with adhesive on the back don't stay stuck on. I also like the idea of using these on other projects than just cards and layouts.

You only need the tip that comes with it, and it doesn't take long to see/feel the glue on the back melting! I love that you can also use other brands of heat fix gems! I found some Darice brand gems at Pat Catan's for 25 and 50 cents to test out - they work great too!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to wrightaud

• wrightaud Said:
I have one and I totally thought I needed it... but honestly, I don't understand the point. Why go to all the effort of waiting to heat up a gem when you can buy gems that already come sticky?? Am I the only one who doesn't get it??

I don't think it takes very long, and they don't come off. Esp over acrylic and you can better adhere them with heat to fabrics and delicate paper things like Primas.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Manda_K

must.buy.i-rock.

How expensive are the gemstones?? Do they sell them in clear only packs, or do you have to buy a set including colored gems? I have alcohol markers and I love buying clear only gems and coloring them whatever color I want,,,,,,,

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to CommaHolly

The compacts costs about $12.99 but you do not have to use irock gems. They come in clear only tubes or they come in different colors as well. I have the other brand that does the same thing and it looks like the irock and costs about the same. I really liking it and I am glad that I bought it! You will love it Holly!

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to HisGEM

I definitely want one of these too! Don't care for shipping prices in the superstore here so I'm waiting, semi-patiently, to find one in stores.

Wiser1
Wiser1 
Idol
Wiser1
In response to hotroding scrapbooker

OHHHHH, I think I want one!! Added - to my list!

livelovecreate86
Expert
livelovecreate86
In response to Wiser1

Michael's has them. I am buying one.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to livelovecreate86

Yep, the tool at M's is about 15 bucks if I recall,,,and you can use a coupon!!!!

married05
Idol
married05

• CommaHolly Said:
must.buy.i-rock.

How expensive are the gemstones?? Do they sell them in clear only packs, or do you have to buy a set including colored gems? I have alcohol markers and I love buying clear only gems and coloring them whatever color I want,,,,,,,

The larger packs retail at M's for $12.99 (I used a coupon to buy a pack of various sizes of clear gems.) You can also get smaller packs - the ones that come in the lip gloss style container and the ones that come with templates and flowers for $3.99 and $4.99 before coupons. Archiver's sells these also.

If you check in the craft store aisle where they sell t-shirt stuff you'll find other brands of hot fix gems - Tulip and Darice are two brands I've seen in stores.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to married05

• married05 Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:
must.buy.i-rock.

The larger packs retail at M's for $12.99 (I used a coupon to buy a pack of various sizes of clear gems.) You can also get smaller packs - the ones that come in the lip gloss style container and the ones that come with templates and flowers for $3.99 and $4.99 before coupons. Archiver's sells these also.

If you check in the craft store aisle where they sell t-shirt stuff you'll find other brands of hot fix gems - Tulip and Darice are two brands I've seen in stores.

THAT'S what I needed to know, thank you!!!

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect

Here's an alternative: Check out this video from Taylored Expressions. She makes her loose gems into sheets of pre-stuck gems.
http://www.youtube.com/tayloredexpressions#p /a/u/2/HrXQ...

Also this older one...where she uses Embellie Gellie to pick up and place tiny tiny gems. She could make self-adhesive gems from these TINY gems as well!http://www.youtube.com/tayloredexpressions#p /u/12/j9nd5OhDVis

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to scraperfect

My mom is out of town shopping today and she just scored me the I-Rock gun and gems at Michaels! A bit more than I wanted to pay, but she was able to use a JoAnn's coupon and got 40% off the gun.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

I have had a Bejeweler for years. It does the same thing. I wonder if it is cheaper because it isn't in the scrapping section. Sometimes anything "scrapping" is just priced higher.

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to 950nancy

I just got mine today and have used it on two projects...I LOVE IT!

Any recommendations on what I can use beside tweezers or the gem stick thingy?

lcmemories
Angel
lcmemories
In response to m.perk

Ohhhh, this looks like something I might want . . . adding to my wishlist

stephie056
Veteran
stephie056
In response to lcmemories

I can't wait for my next trip to M's

miniscraper
Idol
miniscraper
In response to stephie056

I saw it tonight at M,I didn't have a chance to stop and look.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to miniscraper

Finally got my I-rock from my mom yesterday. It was another 5 hours before I got to take a look at it. I'm eager to take it out of the package and give it a try, but the rhinestones are about half the size of what I expected.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

You can get larger sized hot fix gems at like Michael's, HL, the Darice ones, and there are other brands too, look where all the iron on stuff is.

Wiser1
Wiser1 
Idol
Wiser1
In response to Manda_K

OK - I just checked it out at Archivers today and played with it. Totally want one....now or a coupon need one to come out soon! The lip gloss looking tube that comes with the small gems is great for picking up the small gems. All it is is water that you use to help pick up the gem on that applicator.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to Wiser1

After all the love about the I-rock. Parents beware! Keep the I-rock stones away from kids and use with caution when pregnant. The I-rock rhinestones contain lead (noticed a very small warning on back of package).

Tammy Sue
Expert
Tammy Sue

One more thing to burn myself with? I already injure myself constantly with my embossing gun and my hot glue gun. I think I'll just stick with the glossy accents and loose gems . . .

Wiser1
Wiser1 
Idol
Wiser1
In response to Tammy Sue

OK - - - Just bought one last night. Archivers had their 30% off coupon!!

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to Wiser1

I've used mine on one project so far, I should've used bigger gems. Won't make that mistake again. I bought the placement stick thingy. It is like a short Qtip in a tiny vial that you add water. The good thing about it, is the water doesn't spill out if you knock the thing over, the bad thing is that it didn't really help much especially with the tiny gems. Maybe I wasn't using it correctly though.

Otherwise the I-Rock worked well. I'm wondering if I can use the tip from the I-Rock on my wood burner and eliminate the need for batteries. Any ideas on that one?

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics