Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: favorite/most used tools        (Topic#1541387)
New Kid On the Block

So I've seen the list that they give on this site about things that you mainly need to scrapbook but I'm wondering what everyone else's opinions are. What are some scrapbooking tools that you think are a must, what tools are your favorites to use and why? What tools do you def. recommend having on hand or that you think are good to have?

Edited by basanti on 08-23-10 02:02 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to basanti

A good paper trimmer is invaluable. I've had excellent luck with my large Cutterpede - I love that it's larger than 12 inches.

Detail scissors like Cutterbees are a must for me.

A good black pen - I use Copic, Zig and Signo

As for tools that I love but that aren't necessarily needs:
Cuttlebug w/ embossing folders
Spellbinders dies
Border Punches
Stamps
Heat gun

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to Here Kitty

I agree with Amy in regard to the trimmer, scissors and a good pen.

ALSO, among my most used items is a corner rounder (really the only punch I think that everyone should have).

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie
In response to CMLeach

a good paper trimmer. I have a Fiskars one from WM, but would like to have a nicer one. Mine works fine, so oh well.

Small guillotine style trimmer from Creative Memories.

CM corner rounder.

A self-healing cutting mat. I wish mine was a little bigger than 12x12. Try the quilting section.

my centering ruler (WM $3), helps me line up alpha stickers

Cutterbee or Honeybee Scissors
Products Referenced in This Post:
Honey Bee Scissors (Discontinued)

lageorgiapaperie
Tenant
lageorgiapaperie
In response to lisymarie

My ATG and Scotch Quick Dry adhesives! Love both of those and couldn't complete any project with out them. I also use my Fiskars shape templates a ton!

lylacfey
Resident
lylacfey
In response to lisymarie

CutterBees
Tim Holtz Ruler
A good set of journaling pens
Favorite adhesive

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to lylacfey

My favs are my MM trimmer and my ATG gun and my cricut!!! I couldn't do without any of them!

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to lylacfey

Paper trimmer
Scissors
Pen
I love Tacky Glue
Tim Holtz paper distresser
Fiskars Shape Cutter and Templates
Cricut Expression
(Even with my cricut, I still use my Fiskars Shape Cutter)

Edited by debby_westbrook on 08-24-10 03:14 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Peg364
Peg364 
Idol
Peg364
In response to debby_westbrook

Definately a Trimmer, scissors, a black pen for me. But my cricut, I use it on almost every layout that I do. Stamps and ink are another 2 that I use all the time.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Peg364

My cricut, the spatuala to remove the cardstock from the mat, scissors,atg gun and my Xyron adhesives. Oh yes, I agree with a good trimmer. I have the cheap one from provocraft. I just changed the blade (it stopped cutting straight) and it now cuts like a dream!

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to HisGEM

I simply can not scrap without my cricut w/scal its a MUST MUST MUST MUST for me!!!

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to Brandilynn

my favorites:

my fiskars trimmer
my cricut
my stickles!!!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to flutterbye0419

For starting off def a good paper trimmer! I started off with just a cheap one and had to replace it pretty much right away. Now I use a self healing rotary mat, rotary cutter and clear ruler for paper trimming-all from the quilting section.

Scissors
Bone knife
Tweezers
Corner rounder

These are all the tools I could still scrap with if I had nothing else available to me! But I have to say a good flower die/punch is really handy as well to make your own flowers.

Hey Jude
Veteran
Hey Jude
In response to MrsAnnieS

My favorites:
Fiskars rotary cutter
Tombo adhesive runner
Zig pens
Canon selphy photo printer
GE coffee maker (for late night crops)

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to basanti

I couldn't do without my ATG 714 adhesive gun. I didn't get it in any fancy colors, just the red one, but it makes a serious difference in the way I scrap. I love my Fiskars paper trimmer (just basic, but it does the job for me!) and the Fiskars micro tip scissors. I use my corner rounder (small and medium), my black marker for journaling and doodling, my Signo uni for white journaling and doodling, my Cuttlebug for embossing and my Cricut for making letters (I don't know what I ever did without it, but alpha stickers do just fine, too, especially Thickers). Diamond Stickles is a good all-round go to for glitter. Good basic buttons are always a good embellishment.

purpledurple
Idol
purpledurple
In response to meezerpleaser

Pretty much what everyone else said...trimmer, good adhesive (I use ATG, Zig, and Zip Dry) good scissors, love my Cricut, cutting mat, and lots of inks!

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to purpledurple

An excellent and proficient paper trimmer--I love the MM Precision paper trimmer

Good adhesive--Glue Dots and Zig 2-way

Sharp pair of scissors--Cutterbees

With these three scrapbooking can be done.

Resident
In response to dotfree

First for me is a nice camera that takes really good pics. After that I like the Creative Memories personal trimmer because it's just the right size to crop your photos. As far as paper trimmers, I have a fiskers, a cutterpede, the older CM and the newer CM. I like the newer Creative Memories because it uses a rotary blade instead of a straight one and gives a cleaner cut.

Belia 
Tenant
  • Belia on 08-24-10 07:28 PM
In response to basanti

Paper trimmer. I cut by hand (!!) for the first couple of years and can't believe what a dork I was.

Adhesive tape runner. I also glued EVERYTHING for the first couple of years and still have gloppy pics because of it. I just got the ATG last weekend, which I am LOVING, but if price wasn't an issue I would probably stick with my little disposable tape runners. So quick and easy and neat.

I also just got a self-healing cutting mat, which is handy, but did just fine with an old kitchen cutting board for years. I don't have fancy scissors- I just use a regular office pair. Scrapbooking is basically pictures and paper..... everything else is just gravy. So if you have a trimmer and adhesive, you're golden.

fatwhippet
Pro
fatwhippet
In response to Belia

A good sharp Xacto knife and lots of blades. With all my cool tools and machines, I use this knife in many applications from distressing to picking up small items to peeling things off adhesive mats or backing.

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics