Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Mini chat group?        (Topic#1541433)
sunrenay
Guru
sunrenay

Any takers for starting a chat group about minis? I was thinking we could get to know each other and talk about our favorite projects and whatnot.

latina43
Expert
latina43
In response to sunrenay

i have never made a mini! having trouble starting one!

sunrenay
Guru
sunrenay
In response to latina43

Bo Bunny makes some great papers that could get you started on minis. It's a little hard to tell from the images but they are perfect for 6x6 albums. The colors on these 3 papers are just gorgeous! I usually buy 3 sheets so I can have the squares and the words.

Adriann
Diva
Adriann
In response to sunrenay

This is a great idea. I love minis as you know already.

Adriann

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to Adriann

Count me in! I love minis - 8x8 is the largest that I do. Also, if you go on a certain handmade site you can find mini-kit embellishments that are low cost with lots of variety. I am doing my first website kit and so far I have 6 pages done. I love the fact that in one month I can finish an entire album at less than $50.00.

sunrenay
Guru
sunrenay
In response to theellenbee

Why don't we do a little introduction about ourselves and what you enjoy about minis and scrapping in general.

My name is Sunni and my daughter is almost 5. I've been married for 10 years. We live in Ohio and my seasonal allergies have kicked in big time. Ugh. I work fulltime outside the home. I scrap late at night. I don’t have a dedicated space yet but that’s going to have to change soon.

I've had a love affair with pretty paper for a long time. I've altered journals, notebooks, envelopes and magazines as gifts for years. I only got into scrapping back in April or May. I went to my LSS to get something for a project and she had a mini album hanging up. It all clicked together for me right then. I'm not sure why it never occurred to me to it before. I guess I'd never really seen paper divided into 4 boxes just perfect for cutting into an album.

My husband used to be the family photographer and he was in charge of the pictures. Well, that changed when he had a crash and lost all the baby photos. He'd never backed them up and hadn't shared very many with me. We’ve been asking for our friends and family to give us copies but we’ve come up empty handed so far. I have a ton of professional shots from Sears but I’d just be scrapping what’s hanging on my walls. That’s pretty uninspiring to me. He gave me a camera for Mother’s Day. It’s nothing fancy but I’m taking my own picts now! They’re not great but, at least I have something.

I love minis because they are instant gratification. I can have a whole album done in no time. The smaller size really stretches the paper so my money goes further. I also like that I don’t have to settle for 1 or 2 great shots. I do want to try a few 12x12s because I have a few albums that I don’t want to waste but those will be side projects for now.

Edited by sunrenay on 08-31-10 05:24 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Adriann
Diva
Adriann
In response to sunrenay

Hi my name is Adriann and I'm a mini-holic. LOL!

I'm married with three boys ages newborn, 16mos, and 8. My newest was born this month on the 6th. My family is mostly what I scrap about.

I got into scrapping 3 years ago to document my son's life. I wanted to leave him a family tradition. I soon ventured off into cardmaking and other papercrafts. I love mini albums because I like have interactive pages. I love booklets and hidden pockets and such. Mini albums give you more flexiblity to really design something unique.

I'm sorry you lost your photos. I'm the family photographer and my husband is the videographer. The only down side about being the family photographer is that I find that I'm not in a lot of pictures and I need to try and include myself more. I don't want my children to think I was never at the family events because there's no pictures of mom. :).

I don't want to be cured of this addiction. I'm learning to use my stash better and also to recycle items when making my minis. I find them to be more cost effective that the 12z12 LO's. So I'll be doing them for awhile.

I'm off to go catch a few zzzz's before everyone wakes up. We homeschool too so I rarely get a break.

Look forward to getting to know everyone better!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Adriann

Hi - I posted a question a few days ago about a pre-made mini blank album. It is bound with coils and I don't know whether I should undo the coils and make each page flat or whether that will ruin the album.

A friend who has gone through some tough times spent a few days on the ocean recently and loves to go there when she has a few extra dollars - I thought a little album full of pictures of her, the ocean waves & scenery, together with some sayings about the seashore, would be a nice gift. I have some seashell stamps for embellishments & some great papers - BUT just can't quite get started on the little book.

I've always made my own star or CD tin accordian albums, never started with one already "done". I guess I could just do it, but the paper wouldn't go all the way to the edge - just to the coils???

HELP.

New Kid On the Block
In response to dalmation

oh, that was rude - I just jumped in without introducing myself - I'm Christine & I mostly scrap my little granddaughters (age 7 & 3) I'm trying to make them each a "story of their lives" without it being birthday/Christmas/birthd ay.....more about moments - flying a kite, holding a chicken, playing in the mud etc. I've been cardmaking for almost 15 years, but did my first scrapbook page 8 years ago and it has taken over!!

Been away from it a bit, due to a house renovation - all my stuff packed away - but am ready to roll now - so much to catch up on!!

I'm curious about 6 x 6 album - just one picture to a page I guess? Or a couple of cropped ones? or do you print them smaller to start with?

sunrenay
Guru
sunrenay
In response to dalmation

Hi, Christine! I'd probably just leave it bound and take the paper up to the coils. It will still look fine. Can you give us link to look at it though? On a 6x6 you can use one photo, cropped, photos or wallets.

Ellen, everything going ok?

I've been off the board for a few days because we went to Pittsburgh! It was an awesome visit. The city is just gorgeous and I want to go back when we can explore more.

ETA: Christine-I saw your other post. That's a cute album! I wouldn't unbind it.

Edited by sunrenay on 08-30-10 05:59 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to sunrenay

I too was away for the weekend. Went to San Diego for the baseball game. San Diego is a beautiful city, weather was perfect and we saw the Seaworld fireworks from our window. About that mini. I too would leave in the coils. I would either use paint or distress ink to blend in the area that isn't covered by paper. Another thing you could do would be to add some ribbon and a charm to the coil so that it wouldn't look naked. For insiration check out the gallery on here and on etsy for paper bag albums. Many do not cover the entire cover with paper and they look great.

sunrenay
Guru
sunrenay

Ohhh, adding ribbon is a great idea! I love that look.

Edited by sunrenay on 08-30-10 05:56 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to sunrenay

I told my husband that I didn't want to do a mini on our trip. So naturally, the first thing he did when we got home was to download the photos. (Sunni, did you too get some great photos of your mini vacation?) We have some awesome photos of the train station that I think calls for a tiny little mini. Anyone have any ideas that aren't too cute? And Christine, I am planning on ordering the same mini envelope scrapbook. I look forward to seeing yours.

New Kid On the Block

Thanks ladies, you've really helped me think this through. I actually didn't get the mini-envelope one, but it is the same make, same coils, but not envelopes - just pages. I think the envelope one looks like fun, but my shop didn't carry it. It's about 4 x 4. I think ribbon would be great on coils - maybe with some seashell or starfish charms? hmmmm, ideas, ideas.

sunrenay
Guru
sunrenay
In response to dalmation

Ellen, I swear my husband had a camera glued to his eye so I have a few 100 to look through. A couple other Moms got a few shots that are better or we missed, so, I asked about getting them off FB. My friend suggested that they would only print nicely at 4x6 which is just perfect-lol.

New Kid On the Block
In response to sunrenay

I was going to say this is my first mini, but I guess that isn't true. From your posts, I gather that a mini is anything smaller than 12 x 12....I have done two star books. One was a Xmas theme & I filled it with old pictures of my daughters at Xmas - Santa's knee, rare snowfall, a few pics of our oldest ornaments. It comes out only at Xmas and is the center of the table. The other was an Oregon beach holiday.

I also did a little class on the CD tin (square) accordian book & wow, has that ever been useful!!
I did one with the best pictures from my brother's wedding as a surprise - they were delighted. Then I found out that my husband's cousins had never seen pictures of their mutual grandparents & great's, or of their father's family when he was a child....so I made 8 of those little tins with copies of pictures we had & researched birthdates & maiden names etc. Huge hit at a recent family reunion.

So - that's my mini story. They have all been "projects" and taken quite a bit of time.

And what have you all made? Any tips for a faster project??

sunrenay
Guru
sunrenay
In response to dalmation

I've mostly altered things. My latest craze was envelopes. I can't hep you with speed because I only scrap at night. I should be scrapping right now but I'm here to check on something-lol.

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to sunrenay

Warning...long post
We live in a tiny little cottage with a white picket fence so I only have ½ a closet for scrapbook storage and I use our dining room table for scrapping. Because of the lack of space I have learned to be very, very organized. I start by gathering all the photos I want to incorporate in the album. Downloading, printing and cropping usually takes a whole weekend. I then gather my album, my photos, all my papers, any embellishments – from glitter to ink – in the colors I need and then, only then do I even begin the process. I lay out all my papers and then start matching photos to the paper. When I have a handle on this, I then go to the next step which is adding embellishments. For the 8”x 8” (20 page) album I am working on right now, with paper from Scraps of Darkness, the whole process took me two weekends and one trip to Michael’s. The next step is trimming and gluing and that is what I usually do before and after work. Since yesterday, Monday, I have completed 6 pages. In this album I am using photos of my daughter, poetry, quotes, butterflies and lots of black. Luckily I have a four day weekend coming up with lots of time planned for scrapping. I expect to be finished by September 12th – almost exactly one month from the day I received the kit. Minis are different from 12” x 12” scrapbooks. You don’t do them piecemeal and the more organized you are the quicker and more enjoyable the process is! I hope this helps a bit.

sunrenay
Guru
sunrenay

I hope you'll post pictures, Ellen!

Adriann
Diva
Adriann

• theellenb Said:
Warning...long post
We live in a tiny little cottage with a white picket fence so I only have ½ a closet for scrapbook storage and I use our dining room table for scrapping. Because of the lack of space I have learned to be very, very organized. I start by gathering all the photos I want to incorporate in the album. Downloading, printing and cropping usually takes a whole weekend. I then gather my album, my photos, all my papers, any embellishments – from glitter to ink – in the colors I need and then, only then do I even begin the process. I lay out all my papers and then start matching photos to the paper. When I have a handle on this, I then go to the next step which is adding embellishments. For the 8”x 8” (20 page) album I am working on right now, with paper from Scraps of Darkness, the whole process took me two weekends and one trip to Michael’s. The next step is trimming and gluing and that is what I usually do before and after work. Since yesterday, Monday, I have completed 6 pages. In this album I am using photos of my daughter, poetry, quotes, butterflies and lots of black. Luckily I have a four day weekend coming up with lots of time planned for scrapping. I expect to be finished by September 12th – almost exactly one month from the day I received the kit. Minis are different from 12” x 12” scrapbooks. You don’t do them piecemeal and the more organized you are the quicker and more enjoyable the process is! I hope this helps a bit.

You are super organized!!! I'm like Sunni and can only scrap at night. I enjoy making the albums for the heck of it and so I don't have pictures in mind when I make it. So I have a few albums waiting for pictures. Which is nice because my family loves to get them as gifts and so I always have one on standby for a quick gift. All I have to do is add photos. Voila!

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics