Username Post: scalloped edges        (Topic#1541555)
New Kid On the Block

So I went to HL and M today looking for an edge punch that will just do a plain scalloped edge and I couldn't find a single one! There were all kinds of fancy ones, and fancy scallop shaped ones...but nothing simple!
I have some special scissors that have the scallop design but I'm not too good with them and I want a bigger scallop that what it gives me.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I could do a nice scalloped mat for my pics?

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to basanti

There are scallop punches out there, they're just the oldest of the punches so they are a bit harder to find now. Stamping Up still has one I believe as well.

Edited by Here Kitty on 08-26-10 11:19 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to Here Kitty

I use a corner rounder and remove the guide so it will punch the edge of the page. I'm not so hot at going around four sides of a page, though. For the green pp below, I gave up on the bottom and right sides because the corners were so awful and cut them off so only two sides were punched. Artistic license, I call it. (I used the large one for these scallops.)

cheese? By Lstory

Lisa

New Kid On the Block
In response to lstory

• lstory Said:
I use a corner rounder and remove the guide so it will punch the edge of the page. I'm not so hot at going around four sides of a page, though. For the green pp below, I gave up on the bottom and right sides because the corners were so awful and cut them off so only two sides were punched. Artistic license, I call it. (I used the large one for these scallops.)

cheese? By Lstory

Lisa

I didn't even notice til you mentioned it! It looks good! I just realized I have some chipboard borders like the one you have at the bottom taht are scalloped, I could just trace them and cut!

Edited by basanti on 08-26-10 01:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

lageorgiapaperie
Tenant
lageorgiapaperie
In response to basanti

Jo's has a good selection of Fiskars edge punches. I'm pretty sure they carry a basic scallop.

randasue
Guru
randasue
In response to lageorgiapaperie

crafter's companion has some great templates tht you can trace around and cut out... they have other designs on the templates too. you can also use them and ink, chalk, paint, glimmer mist on them for some awesome looks. they can be found here in the superstore. i have used them to make borders too.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 08-27-10 02:51 AM
In response to randasue

The Fiskars Scallop Sentiment is a plain scallop. I use that one and Fiskars Threading Water a lot. (Threading Water is the same as Scallop Sentiment - same size and shape - but with an added decorative dot). I also really like the MS Scallop Dot. I love scallop punches.

I've tried the tracing thing with a template and for me, cutting it out was hard work. A punch is a lot easier, though borders are tricky unless you have an around-the-page punch.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to IzzyB

The only thing about those punches, Izzy, is that they have relatively small scallops. I wish Martha would do a big scallop, punch-around-the-page set. No extra holes or mini scallops or anything else. I really like the large scallop paper but I want the freedom to use whatever cs or pp I want to. I have the Martha scallop-with-mini-scallop s punch, but still can't get it around the corner too well and would rather have a smooth scallop.

Lisa

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to lstory

If you're wanting a big scallop, it's just about impossible to find one unless it's a die-cut 12x12 as was mentioned above. I looked for one for a long time before giving up -- and I just resigned myself to using the smaller Fiskars scallop punches and found that I like Threading Water best of all!

Edited by meezerpleaser on 09-01-10 11:27 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to meezerpleaser

I do two different things...first, I have a Cricut Expression, and if I want a large scalloped cut square, I use that. If I just want a border, I use my CM circle punch, then cut those in half. That way, I have a scalloped edge.

I do have the new EK Success scallop punch the punches a bigger scallop that embosses as well. The embossing rarley turns out, so it is like a big scallop edge...

EK Success - Paper Shapers - Slim Profile - Edger Punch - Double Embossed Dotted Lace

lstory 
Mayor
In response to m.perk

Michelle, can you get it to do the corners properly? I really want to do a square or rectangle mat with decent-looking corners.

Funny you mention the not-embossing. I have their zigzag punch that is supposed to either punch out tiny holes or emboss them. Either way, it's not working. I really only want the zigzag, though, so I don't care.

Lisa
Products Referenced in This Post:

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to lstory

I have never done corners with the punch. When I want to do that, I use my Cricut.

I am glad my punch isnt the only one that doesnt emboss! I get a tiny bit of embossing, but not enough to tell what it is!

wickedscrapperchick
Tenant
wickedscrapperchick
In response to m.perk

If you bump in to an AC Moore anytime they carry the Fiskars Scalloped Sentiment punch. That's where I got mine [since I work there!] and they were back in stock really quickly.

Jen_31
Jen_31 
Resident
Jen_31
In response to wickedscrapperchick

Another way to do it is to design your own template on a computer program, print it, and trace it. Granted, it's a lot more work than just taking a punch to your paper...but you can't beat the price!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics