Username Post: Beginner question about material and book making        (Topic#1541611)
KelyK 
New Kid On the Block
  • KelyK on 08-27-10 08:31 AM

Hi! I'm Kely, a 18 years old brazillian girl and I'm new at scrapbooking.

Actually, I read a lot about it and took a course in 8x8 albums on a local store, to make and give one for my boyfriend in our three years anniversary. The album is not ready yet, but I really liked all this and want make more!

I kinda choose the tools and things I will need (Cutter Bee Scissors, We R Memory Keepers Magnetic Mat, magnetic posts, the magnetic twist trimmer, fingertrip control Fiskars swivel Knife, and two pens), any suggestions or advice?

So, I'm a writer and have lots of texts. For my first project, I'm wondering about making a book to archive the best of my poetry, scrapbookin' style.

My question is about the material. The album I made in the course uses six 8x8' chipboards covered with patterned paper. I would like decorate the pages, and I won't use photos. And I would need more than six pages..

So I think chipboard is too.. "Too much" for this. I want something more 'delicate', but I don't know if I can use cardstock (is it too fragile? can I use patterned paper on it? and embellishments?), or if exists a thinner chipboard. And what about grungeboard?

Which one is better for my pupose?

I was looking into "4 x 7 Chipboard Album - Round Tab" by Doodlebug, but I think I wouldn't be able to cover it with paper, right? because I fell in love with "To love and Chrish" paper collection By Imaginisce, and the Basic White by Basic Gray and I would like to use them.

Sorry about my english, I understand well but don't know if I expressed myself correctly

lstory 
Mayor
In response to KelyK

Kely, you're right - a six-page book isn't very big. Cardstock comes in different weights. If you buy 120-pound weight cardstock, it's pretty thick, and I think it would work well to use as pages in between chipboard covers. Ask your local store about the different weights that cardstock comes in; they can probably show you several samples to choose from. The Cutter Bee scissors are great, by the way.

Lisa

purpledurple
Idol
purpledurple
In response to lstory

How about just using a typical album. Then you could use cardstock as your base and embelish it as you want and put that in the album.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to purpledurple

you can make a FOLDED cs album, it's thicker than one layer of CS and it has pockets,,,,,I make them all the time,,,,,,you can use chipboard for the covers if you want, or just decorate the cover,,,

I split a piece of 12x12 cs in to two pieces (both are then 6x12), then I score a 1/2 inch lip on the bottom, fold that up and fold the top down to meet that lip,,,,then open it up,,,, then I run a line of adhesive down the left side (leaving the right side open), and across the lip, folding down again to adhere,,,,,it makes a roughly 6x6 inch pocket,,,,,,,especially if you use the PP that has a white line at the top and score that white line as the lip,,,,,

put a couple holes in the left side of the pocket, and then ring a bunch of them together,,,,again, you can make a chipboard cover and back slightly larger than the album if you want,,,,,each inside page will have a pocket! I usually glue dot the outside covers together with ribbon inside to tie closed,,,,and of course, I cover and embellish all the pages,,,,

here's a couple folded cs albums,,,,,

Romantic/feminine minibook swap-cover By CommaHolly

Santa Mini front page By CommaHolly

Edited by CommaHolly on 08-28-10 06:27 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

AND you can make as many pages as you want,,,,just know that the rings will need to be larger (probably 1 inch) if you make more than 6 or 7 pages.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

PS,,,if you use double sided paper, or put the print to the INSIDE of the pocket and then cover and embellish the outside pages, the inside pockets are as pretty as the outside!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics