Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: New to scrapping and no idea where to start.        (Topic#1542103)
New Kid On the Block

I could really use tips on where to start. Ideas for sites and places to get supplies is very welcome! I have an 8 month old who likes to "help" with my crafts and the only "studio" I have is my dinning room table, so at the moment I can't get too fancy. DH is planning to get me the cricut for Christmas if nothing happens so I am super excited about that.

I have about 6,000 pictures of our daughter, not to mention my photography and wedding photos, so I plan to start digital and paper scrapping since the number of scrapbooks would be a lot for our apartment. I am hoping to make small scrapbooks for the grandmothers, great-grandmother's and aunts for Christmas. TIA for all your help.

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to SweetPeasMommy

Have you considered taking the Scrapbook Design & You course (SDU for short)? They offer it J' & M's. Or if interaction with flesh & body people is not necessary for you (or time away from your I'm sure LOVELY daughter) then you could take the free course on this site. Other than that, just look at the gallery here, watch the videos on different techniques here and on youtube. Have fun, remember there is no right or wrong in scrapping!

New Kid On the Block
In response to sweet1

Thank you. I am glad you mentioned the free course, time away from Livvie is hard. lol. Also, I forgot all about youtube. Thank you for your help.

kelsey kay 2012
Veteran
kelsey kay 2012

Start with sketches too or find a lo you like in a magazine and mimick it in your own style

New Kid On the Block
In response to kelsey kay 2012

What's a lo? My lo is the abbreviation for little one. lol.

purpledurple
Idol
purpledurple

It's for layout!! I know when I first came here I kept saying little one too cause I was on a baby board when I was pregnant!

New Kid On the Block
In response to purpledurple

Thanks. It makes sense now that I read it. LOL! Glad I am not the only one.

married05
Idol
married05

You will love the Cricut! Don't spend full price on cartridges - you can get them on ebay for way less! (I got the Winnie the Pooh font a while back for $13!)

I scrap at my dining room table too! I hope to get my own space someday... but for now it works! (I also have a corner of the dining room for my supplies - by corner I mean the entire wall of my dining room!)

When I first started I loved looking at sketches on websites like PageMaps and Pencillines for inspiration. I also love magazines like Scrapbooks Etc. (Simple Scrapbooks was my favorite, but they went under.) Just remember that you're scrapping for you and your family and that you don't have to "measure up" to anything you see. I had the hardest time at first because I thought my pages were much too simple. That's the way I scrap, and I'm okay with that. Check out the gallery here too - you can search by keyword to see what others have done. Have fun!

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to married05

I too am new to scrapbooking and I can identify with feeling overwhelmed at first. What I did, which helped immensely, was to start small with just photos from a trip to Boston using a 8x8 album. I gathered my photos, my papers and stickers and just went to town! My advice is to not spend lots of money on your first project and have fun!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to theellenbee

Awesome! Thank you all so much for all the help. I am super excited to get started. I started out with some free digital scrapbooking last night. Haven't got very far, but I figure it will help me learn what to do and what not to do before I got spend money. Hoping its turns out okay. Not expecting anything fabulous, so I won't be disappointed. Again, thank you for the tips. Where are some of your favorite places to buy supplies? I am guessing this site, Hobby Lobby and Michael's are on the list, but I didn't know if there were any others I did not know about.

massadmomma
Veteran
massadmomma

I started with an 8x8 album too! It just seemed less daunting! Gradually I worked my way up to 8.5x11, then single page 12x12, and now I mostly scrap double page 12x12.
I would scraplift layouts from magazines and ones I would find in online galleries. Once I discovered my own style I just did what came to mind!
When you first start just keep in mind that the most important thing is documenting the memory you have of the photo and just have fun dressing it up! Always remember to put the date on the layout! I hate looking back at old layouts and realizing I forgot that sometimes!
When I write my journaling I write to whomever is in the photos and as if whomever is reading it doesn't know me. I like to think that my great-great grandchildren will be flipping through my scrapbooks some day!
To buy supplies I love this site, Hobby Lobby, and my local scrapbook stores. If you have any around you that's the place to go! Many scrapbook stores have staff that are very helpful!

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to massadmomma

Hi and welcome to SBing. I hope you love it, after a couple of weeks of scratching my head I got totally hooked.

One thing I wish I would have done differently when I started was shop smarter. Choose pics for a few LOs then buy the paper and embellies to match the pics. That way you don't end up with a ton of stuff you'll never use. Then you have more money to buy the stuff that you will use and love.

If you can afford it buy good tools. You will use some tools for every LO so you want to make sure that your scissors and adhesive (and a few other things) are high quality and will last.

Scraplift LOs from artists you like. I use the gallery here a lot for this.

Don't worry about how the first few LOs look compared to other people's LOs. It takes some time to learn and hone the skills around scrapbooking just have fun.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to MissaOnTheRun

I love looking at the gallery and picking apart layouts to figure out how artists did them. That's pretty much the way I started out. Digital is probably a good way for you to go, especially with so many pictures. The collage feature will be a godsend. And it'll keep little fingers out of those tiny embellishments and off the pretty patterned paper!

armyscraper
Veteran
armyscraper
In response to meezerpleaser

Welcome to this site. This is a great place to start! Try not to buy a lot at once. I spent a lot of money on scrapbook supplies before I really knew what I liked and now have a bunch of stuff that I don't use.

The necessities of course are: cardstock (CS) or patterned paper (PP), adhesive, a paper cutter, markers, embellishments, and good scissors.

Sites...this one for sure!! U Tube. Buy some of your supplies used!!

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 09-14-10 04:57 PM
In response to armyscraper

Welcome.

#1 piece of advice for a newcomer - don't overbuy. What you think is cute or practical today may change DRASTICALLY in the first few months of scrapping regularly.

#2 (related to 1) - just buy a few basics. For me, that would be white, black and kraft cardstock, a few sheets of coordinating patterned paper, a good pair of scissors, a strong adhesive and a couple of punches.

You can be a great scrapbooker without a cricut, so don't wait for that. Just start.

There are exception, but generally don't buy (or don't buy a lot of): stickers (a cute sticker doesn't make a cute page), 100s of flowers in glass jars, more eyelets and brads than you can use in a lifetime, anything "cutesy."

#3 advice - date your pages and include journaling. You can do hidden journaling or journaling on the back if you don't have room for it on the front.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to IzzyB

I'll add a couple thoughts:

Don't start with your most important pictures. Test the waters with some everyday photos, not your wedding portrait.

You can find useful embellishments everywhere, not just scrapbook supply stores. Ribbons, buttons, lace, embroidery thread, hardware stuff (washers, etc), and more can be found around the house, at consignment shops, flea markets, and so on.

Enjoy yourself!

Lisa

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 09-14-10 06:41 PM
In response to lstory

As to where to start to get ideas, I think it's easiest to start with a style known as clean and simple. Your own personal scrapbooking style may evolve and veer wildly from that in the future, but I think knowing how to put together a good clean-and-simple layout is a great foundation, esp when starting out. I love a good clean-and-simple page, myself so I may be biased in suggesting this.

You can do a gallery search for clean and simple and you'll get thousands of layouts. You might want to look especially at the galleries of Cindy312 and Heather Landry. You can find their galleries by doing a search here in neighbors [or by using google.]

Lily Lou
Tenant
Lily Lou

I'm somewhat new to scrapbooking myself, even though my first attempts were about seven years ago. I am learning as I go along and have found this website the most helpful of any. Study the gallery and layouts of others. Read about the products. Take the free downloadable lessons. I like Michael's, but found that JoAnne Fabrics, at least in our area, has as much if not more in the way of supplies. Look for items in thrift stores and at home to use as embellishments. My work space is my computer desk, the floor, or anywhere that is comfortable at the moment. There are lots of how-to videos on this site, and help in the forums. I think the best advice would be to just not get too serious, don't fret, try not to get overwhelmed and be frugal in the beginning.

ScrapbookingPunches
New Kid On the Block
ScrapbookingPunches
In response to Lily Lou

Heather- I'm just like you! However, I have started scrapbooking and can't seem to finish a scrapbook!

Ycats
Ycats 
Expert
Ycats
  • Ycats on 09-18-10 11:54 AM
In response to ScrapbookingPunches

• ScrapbookingPunches Said:
Heather- I'm just like you! However, I have started scrapbooking and can't seem to finish a scrapbook!

It took me about 4 months of me and my Mom working on it to finish my first scrap book!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics