Username Post: Tim Holtz Vagabond vs. The Big Shot Express        (Topic#1542646)
scrappfever
New Kid On the Block
scrappfever

I've never owned a die cut machine but I love Tim Holtz's line. I was checking out the Vagabond and looks pretty cool. I've been doing some research on what the difference is between the Big shot express and the Vagabond. I am liking the Big shot due to it's size. Can you use any sizzix die cuts for both? Is there anything you can use on the Big Shot but can't on the Vagabond and vice versa?
Thank you in advance.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to scrappfever

I don't know for sure, but I have seen the vagabond and I am fairly confident that all the sizzix dies will work in it.

mrsgrant2010
New Kid On the Block
mrsgrant2010
In response to Nancy Keslin

I'm wondering the same thing......I have a pre-order for the Vagabond @ my local scrapbook store. I'm told by these great store owners that the Sizzix line will work with the Vagabond and vice-versa!!! I've already started my Tim Holtz dies collection and am ANXIOUSY awaiting my Vagabond. I'm trying not to get too antsy and decide to just purchase a Big Shot Express because I can't wait any longer.....Patience!!!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to mrsgrant2010

TH has partnered with Sizzix, so yes, the dies will work.

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 10-23-10 07:52 AM
In response to scrappfever

I am waiting on my vagabond, its been preordered. To my understanding it can use any sizzix dies (as well as other brands) except the ones for the 12 x 12 machine(big shot pro?). I know it is supposed to be able to cut metal, grungeboard, canvas, I do not know if the sizzix big shot express can do those?

ScrapNancy
New Kid On the Block
ScrapNancy
In response to Hev

They are both Sizzix machines so they take the same dies (other than the size limitation of the dies that the Vagabond can take).

The Vagabond is branded with Tim's name and was thus created by Sizzix to his specifications. For instance, the motor in the thing is huge compared to the Express, so it can cut heavier materials without straining the motor (is my understanding).

There's a picture of the motors from the two machines and some description of the Vagabond in my CHA Summer Hot Picks article at Scrapbook Update.

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 10-23-10 05:02 PM
In response to ScrapNancy

Can you explain the limitations on the size of the dies that the vagabond can use? I thought it could use the bigz and bigz l(like his new tag die)? Also could you explain more about the collecting the stickers at events thing? I thought I had read that they came with the machine?

ScrapNancy
New Kid On the Block
ScrapNancy
In response to Hev

The Vagabond can't take the super huge dies that the Pro can take - it isn't wide enough.

Some stickers do come with the machine, but then Tim says there will also be ones special to various events that you can get if you attend that event. So decorating your Vagabond will be like having a suitcase that is covered in stickers from the places that you've been. Each one will be unique!

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 10-23-10 06:18 PM

The big shot express cannot use the ones for the pro either right?

Thanks for the info on the stickers!

ScrapNancy
New Kid On the Block
ScrapNancy
In response to Hev

Yeah sorry for the confusion about the explanation there...I was comparing the die sizes on the Vagabond and the Pro because those are the two machines that are priced similar.

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066

My Stampin' Up demonstrator told me that both machines are basically the same, they just look different! I am assuming that she knows what she is talking about because Stampin' Up is partnered with Sizzix.

ScrapNancy
New Kid On the Block
ScrapNancy
In response to Karen3066

According to Tim if you talk to him about it the machines (Pro/Express) are definitely NOT the same as the Vagabond. He's very proud of the features he designed into the Vagabond with Sizzix. Try asking him about it and then getting him to shut up.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I wouldn't mind if that man NEVER shut up

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 10-24-10 09:25 AM
In response to Karen3066

Have you seen the difference in the size of the motors?

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 10-24-10 09:27 AM

Thanks again for the info. I saw the comparison of the sizes of the motors for the vagabond and the express! I was quite impressed at the size of the motor for the vagabond!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics