Username Post: Album size        (Topic#1542824)
Tenant

This will be my first time, I want to make a scrapbook for my Mother showcasing the genealogy research I've been doing of her family.What size album is recommended? i've read the 3 ring binders are best..but what size? Thanks for all help

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to Bitty-Boo

My advice (for what it is worth :-)) is to start your scrapbooking career with a small project. So often the first album people make is really a learning experience. Either try an inexpensive mini or kit and get familiar with what you like and dislike. Then, once you've gotten your feet wet - tackle your gift. Good luck it sounds awesome!

LaurenBiz
Idol
LaurenBiz
In response to theellenbee

I don't suggest the 3-ring binder.

If you go to Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc., you will see different sizes of scrapbook albums in one of their scrap aisles. Many are 12x12, but you'll find 8.5x11, 11x8.5, 8x8, etc.

I began scrapping on 12x12. I also now work on 8.5x11, and I've worked on 11x8.5.

Because I have a tendency to add and add and add with my work, I can have difficulty working with the 8.5x11 sizes. The 12x12 is a larger canvas for me, and I find it easier.

But it's your preference!

Check out the different styles at a scrapbook store, and one will speak to you!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to LaurenBiz

It depends on how many photos and other "stuff" you have. A standard album tends to fit 10 pages, both front and back, so it's really 20 total pages. Think about how much you might want to put on each page, and let that help you decide how big or small to go. Almost all albums have a way for you to add more pages if needed, but if you start with a large album (12x12) and then only have 8 pages worth of stuff, it might feel unfinished.

I personally love 12x12 albums, but they can be overwhelming for a new scrapbooker. Perhaps an 8x8 or 8 1/2x11 might make more sense.

Good luck with the project ... it sounds awesome

kelsey kay 2012
Veteran
kelsey kay 2012
In response to madmatter

i think 12x12 would be good because there is a good chance you have large artifacts to put in it

Pastor Joyce
Tenant
Pastor Joyce
In response to Bitty-Boo

• Bitty-Boo Said:
This will be my first time, I want to make a scrapbook for my Mother showcasing the genealogy research I've been doing of her family.What size album is recommended? i've read the 3 ring binders are best..but what size? Thanks for all help

My preference is 12x12 strap hinge albums because the size gives me room to include official documentation, photo(s), and journaling within the same layout. Depending on how much material I have, I may do a 24x12 layout. IMHO, strap hinge pages lay better. However, they're hard to find because post albums seem more popular. I order mine from HL.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to Pastor Joyce

I did a very clean and simple heritage/memorial album for my father that's in my gallery. It's 8x8 which was just the right size for doing what was essentially a one-person book. I agree with others -- start smaller with other pictures, get your style and skills down a little bit before you take on a bigger, more important project like you're contemplating. Scrap a few other special pictures before you move on. You don't wanting to be finding your scrapping style in the middle of a very important sb.

Every size paper has different challenges, but 12x12 has its own in that there's a lot of area to cover, so you have to be judicious in what you add. I always advocate 8x8 or 8-1/2x11 for beginners. Enough room to spread out a little, small enough to be new user friendly. Mini albums might be a scosh small right now.

tofino 
New Kid On the Block
In response to meezerpleaser

One thing not mentioned is how muc stuff you have to put in the album. Plus do you think you would be adding any after?

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to Bitty-Boo

As you can see, everyone has different preferences. I started with 12 X 12 and still prefer it-- even when I look back and cringe at some of my earlier layouts! I switched to ring binders and find them SO much easier. You can move the LOs around easier and add pages easier. Also- if you use A LOT of embellishments, the ring binders can handle more.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Pastor Joyce

I used strap hinge albums at one time but switched to postbound. I just take the posts out and use snap and load by pioneer then you can put a lot more in there and add more without fooling with posts.

scrapinsmiles
Expert
scrapinsmiles
In response to flojoseff

If you have a lot of photos and memorabilia, then I would suggest a 12 x 12 album. If you don't have all that many photos, then go with an 8 x 8.

No matter what size album you decide to use, your finished product will be lovely and your mother is going to so touched that you made it for her.

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to scrapinsmiles

I like the 12 x 12 better. But I have done a couple of 8 1/2 x 11. But I like all of my albums to fit on the shelf the same.... I am OCD.... LOL

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to LaurenBiz

• LaurenBiz Said:
I don't suggest the 3-ring binder.

Check out the different styles at a scrapbook store, and one will speak to you!

With all due respect, I disagree. I LOVE 3-ring albums.

Perhaps this person was referring to 3-ring office-school binders. In that case, probably I would not recommend those either.

Below are several sizes of 3-ring albums.

ehammann
Veteran
ehammann
In response to Bxr-Linda

I'm with Linda... I use the 3 Ring... sooooooo much easier!! Esp when you want to move stuff around or make it bulky. Once I moved to the 3 ring, I never looked back. I am a fan of the following...

cdynan
cdynan 
Resident
cdynan
In response to ehammann

I have been working on my genealogy album for a while...it keeps growing, LOL. I use 12x12 but am on the 2nd one. You will end up with 2 great hobbies. Sometimes I am torn on which one to concentrate on.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics