Username Post: Big Shot vs. Cuttlebug        (Topic#1542840)
caraboo
Expert
caraboo

So I have decided it's time to buy one of these machines but I am not sure which one to get. So what do you all think? Which do you like and why?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to caraboo

I've been looking at them myself, and one thing I have noticed is that the cuttlebug is smaller, lighter, and easier to transport; but the big shot is a much sturdier machine. It really feels like it was built to last. The cuttlebug, not so much. But I don't own either one, I've just tried them out.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to Rosita

I have the Big Shot and have been very happy. I love that I can use the Bigz XL dies which make huge die cuts for things like boxes, gift bags, etc.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Nancy Keslin

There are a ton of larger dies etc that are coming out now that won't fit in the cuttlebug,,,,,,it might be worth thinking about, if tha tmakes a difference.

Kozy Scraps
Pro
Kozy Scraps
In response to CommaHolly

I do not have a cuddle bug and never used one. I do have a big shot and LOVE IT! I use my cuddle bug dies, quickutz, spellbinders and all my sizzix stuff. I got rid of my sizzix and quickutz and sizzix tools, I just use my big shot now for all of my dies.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Kozy Scraps

I love my big shot, you can use cuttlebug folders with a big shot, then all those great dies out there as well. So when I was looking for a manual machine it was worth the few extra bucks for the big shot over the cuttlebug so I could use both the embossing folders from cuttlebug and the sizzix dies.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to MrsAnnieS

I only use my cuttlebug for embossing, so the smaller size is fine for me

Scrapingbliss
Mayor
Scrapingbliss
In response to madmatter

I just ordered the new cuttlebug from HSN yesterday. You can use the Bigz dies and the Tim Holtz dies and all the other dies in the Cuttlebug. And I'm told that they are releasing a new plate that allows you to use the Bigz XL in it as well...but I don't know much about that part of it.

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to Scrapingbliss

One more BigShot vote. The Cuttlebug is cuter and takes up less real estate, but doesn't fit all the dies/embossing plates out there. (At least it didn't when I was in the market for a manual machine) You might want to consider the Epic 6 if space is at a premium...

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to CommaHolly

• CommaHolly Said:
There are a ton of larger dies etc that are coming out now that won't fit in the cuttlebug,,,,,,it might be worth thinking about, if tha tmakes a difference.

Really? What dies do not fit the CB?
I have used Bigz dies in it, here is a video on how to do it. Are there other dies that do not fit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jvmYIv7Kgw

caraboo
Expert
caraboo
In response to tinacome

Thanks for the input everyone...I was leaning toward the Big Shot just because I don't want to have worry about something (dies etc.) not fitting. Sounds like that may be the way to go!

New Kid On the Block
In response to caraboo

Yes, go for the Sizzix Big Shot! I love my Big Kick and side kick, as well as the original!

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to caraboo

• caraboo Said:
Thanks for the input everyone...I was leaning toward the Big Shot just because I don't want to have worry about something (dies etc.) not fitting. Sounds like that may be the way to go!

I'm pretty sure that you can use any die now. Does anyone know of dies that for sure do NOT work in the CB? I know Bigz xl will work.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to tinacome

The new dies will work in the Version 2 cuttlebug from what I heard....

godschild94
Governor
godschild94
In response to HisGEM

I have the cuttlebug and all the dies out on the market work with it. You just have to know which plates to use. The original one is only 7 inches long so you had to play around with it to use the longer dies but from what I understand there are new 12 inch plates coming out.

But if I had to go back and do it again I would definately buy a Big Shot. Much easier to use, more stable, and more heavy duty. Definately worth it...especially if you are willing to spend a bit extra for the electronic version, the Big Shot Express...bye bye crank!

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to godschild94

I was torn between the 2 and had decided on the big shot when I came across a fab deal on a cuttlebug ....I love it! ....and it can use the larger TH dies

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to HisGEM

• HisGEM Said:
The new dies will work in the Version 2 cuttlebug from what I heard....

From Provocraft:
  • Quote:
The new Cuttlebug machine is the same width and measurement, nothing has changed except for the shell has been streamline, a bit lighter than the original, and the handle has a storage.
You will experience the same amazing embossing features.

That said, I believe the Cuttlebug does take all the dies on the market except the new Grand Calibur Spellbinder dies - but only the new Grand Calibur machine takes them.

Edited by Here Kitty on 09-16-10 03:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tammy Sue
Expert
Tammy Sue
In response to Here Kitty

I would think twice about the Big Shot Express. I have one and it had to be replaced within the first month because I used a sizzlits die with too thick a paper, and it got stuck and caused the motor to burn out when I kept trying to get it to go through. I think if it were the manual, instead of the electronic version, and something got stuck, I'd just be able to manually yank it out and the thing would still work. Also, the power cord is very short, and the machine is loud.

I probably would have been just as happy with the Big Shot at the cheaper price.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Tammy Sue

Great info ladies & insightful info Tammy Sue!

I originally had the Big Shot Express on my Christmas Wish List. However, it's since fallen off. Instead, I've decided that I'm content & happy with my Cuttlebug.

Note: I do in fact like that the CB Version 2 is lighter & doesn't have the protruding handle!

caraboo
Expert
caraboo
In response to KellyCali

Thanks again for all the info everyone! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics