Username Post: Cricut software question        (Topic#1543347)
myartisticadventures
Expert
myartisticadventures

I just got into scrabooking in January. I mean I started buying stuff to scrapbook with in January. I bought a cricut. I wanted something to cut out images that I created. Then I purchased a Silhouette SD. That is what I mainly use (because I print out my own images I create so it works great). What I am wondering is that I still want to use my cricut, but am looking at the different software programs to use with it. As an example SCAL (I think I recall seeing that). I am wondering which one is best? Mainly I would be creating my own SVG files and cutting them out. I can do this on my Silhouette, but I bought tons of stuff for the cricut and still want to use it too. I think I may be able to cut out thicker stuff with it. Not really sure. It holds a 12x 12 sheet of paper and I would like to utilize it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Products Referenced in This Post:

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to myartisticadventures

I have SCAL and although I've not created a lot of things myself, I do download those that others have created and distributed for free. I really like this program, such a $$ saver!

myartisticadventures
Expert
myartisticadventures
In response to sweet1

Thanks! I have bought a few cartridges, but mainly I just want to make up my own stuff. That is more of the creating part that I am into. I think I will have to get that (off to work some OT I go).

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G

I love the SCAL Option but i hear it voids the warrantee.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Just G

I use Make The Cut (similar to SCAL without conversion).

I love it! Any image, snag..import...pixel trace....DONE!

myartisticadventures
Expert
myartisticadventures
In response to Manda_K

Oh...MandaK....I love your profile picture! I was thinking of Make the Cut. Thanks for the info. That auto trace is something I really like to use! Takes me for ever in the Silhouette program. Although I just downloaded new software and maybe it will be quicker. Thanks!

myartisticadventures
Expert
myartisticadventures
In response to Just G

I don't worry so much about warranties anymore. Nothing I ever buy breaks or has problems till the warranty is over. OR...it doesn't cover what ever happens to what I own...LOL. That seems to be my luck. Thanks for the info!

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think a Cricut has a memory. So, if no memory, how would PC know you used SCAL???? That is the "official line" but how can they enforce it?

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to sweet1

I have SCAL and it traces too. Make sure it's SCAL 2 not the original version. LOVE IT! I have 5 carts and don't see me getting too many more since I can trace pretty much anything I want and cut any fonts I have and all that jazz. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I use mine on my Mac too!

sunshineann
Resident
sunshineann
In response to Seaexplore

Where does one purchase the SCAL?

tofino 
New Kid On the Block
In response to sunshineann

When you mention SCAL I'm assuming "Sure Cuts A Lot" program. Remember lots of rookies on the forum.

myartisticadventures
Expert
myartisticadventures
In response to Seaexplore

Thanks for all the info!

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G

same question....how do you purchase the SCAL program?

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to Just G

Lots of people have it on their blogs to purchase, SCAL has a site of their own you could purchase from. Google it and lots come up.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to ChansGram

I got mine by googling it and bought it online with my credit card. Search for coupons and discount codes before purchasing and you can get a bit off. I think I used a 10% off code. I had to pay sales tax so my total came to just under $60. SOOOOO worth it!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics