Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: best general adhesive        (Topic#1543773)
Tenant

What is the best overall glue/adhesive to buy to start? There are so many selections, it's over whelming. Thanks

lstory 
Mayor
In response to Bitty-Boo

It's hard to choose one because different ones have different functions, and yes, it's definitely overwhelming.

Here's what I have:

Scotch ATG for adhering almost everything

small and large glue dots for chipboard pieces, buttons, flowers, and other bulky objects

Foam squares for popping up paper elements for a little more depth. I mostly use these for cards.

Scotch Quick Dry glue. It has a tiny nozzle and I use it for little pieces of paper where the ATG is too big to go. It's the 3M equivalent of Zip Dry glue.

Lisa

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to lstory

Yeah, exactly what Lisa said! The ATG was the best purchase I've made in a looooong time. Don't know how I scrapped without it!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to meezerpleaser

I use the Glue Glider Pro for pics and paperI find the ATG too big and unwieldy for me), and glue dots for embellishments like ribbon and chipboard. I also love the "poppin dots" for dimension.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 10-05-10 06:11 PM
In response to Bitty-Boo

I also have the ATG and I LOVE it! I use it for most everything. I also like the Zig 2-way glue pens, Zots and mounting squares. I also like pop dots for dimension. There are other adhesives that I use from time to time, but these are my favorites.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to LeeLo

I use different glues for different things. If I were just starting out, I would go with something inepensive like 3L tape or a tape runner.

But....for the long haul, I would go with the ATG. Super sticking power, and very cost effective for refills. I was spending about $10 a month for 3L tape or runners. Now I spend $2-3 a month.

I also like glue dots for heavier items, vellum glue dots for see-thru stuff, glossy accents for things that require precise, strong glue, pop dots for dimension, my Xyron X for small details and letters, and a glue pen for small areas.

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to Luvmyfam

The Best Glue Ever (Yes that's the name!)
There are a bunch of videos on youtube.com/scraperfect that detail many of the advantages and uses of this glue. This one tells why it was created: CLICK HERE

The quick stick for paper and small embellishments such as gems & jewels,
buttons, beads, sequins, charms, punched shapes, and glitter

• Dries fast, clear and flexible with a super strong bond

• Use sparingly.  Bonds paper to paper in seconds without wrinkling

• Minimal glue is needed. Bottle lasts a long time

• Adheres a variety of materials including paper, plastic, metal, ceramic, fabric, foam, wood, rubber and more

• Thin writing tip for detail applications and for use with glitter, micro-beads, flock and other bling

• Re-positionable or permanent applications

• Does not bleed through ribbon

• Make homemade ‘Glue Spots’

• Acid-free, nontoxic, non-stringy, no fumes, no odor

• Wet glue cleans up with soap and water yet is
permanent and washable on fabric

"I love The Best Glue Ever! To be honest, I hated wet glues. When I used wet glues in the past, I was always a mess, the table was always a mess, and my projects always ended up a mess. I had a large number of die-cuts to put together and thought I would try The Best Glue Ever. The first thing I noticed was the tip to the bottle. I was able to really control the amount of glue I used. I could get a large amount if needed or a small tiny dot if needed. Of course I got interrupted and ended leaving the cap off. When I was finally able to come back to my project, I was surprised that the tip was not all clogged. I also liked the fact that this glue was very low odor and did not string. Over all The Best Glue Ever has changed my view of wet glues. I have added The Best Glue Ever to my scrapping bag."
Bridget Bruss Owner, Speedy Scrappers

"Best Glue Ever is just what the name says: The Best Glue Ever!  I am continually amazed at the different applications for which this glue will work.  Everything from acrylic to paper to chipboard to felt, this glue holds it.  I love the fact that I can use it wet for permanent or let it dry a minute or so and it is repositionable!  I have yet to find a surface that is glue doesn't work fabulously on!  Thank you for such a great product.  I recommend it to all of my friends!"

Mandie Dillard, Graphic Designer, Retreat Host Rusty Pickle Design Team, Two Chicks Design Team

"There are so many glues on the market, and I have tested nearly all of them. It has been a long time since I have been this excited about a new glue.   The Best Glue Ever has a big name, but it definitely lives up to it.

Since trying The Best Glue Ever, it has become my go-to adhesive.  I cannot stop using it. There is so much to love about this glue.  

It is so easy to work with and clean up is a breeze. I love its Herculean hold.  And I love that I can make it re-positionable.  

The precision writing tip application is a dream. It is great for small embellishments and for writing too. It is simply the Best Glue Ever for those fabric flowers that I love to create right now.  No annoying strings.  The Best Glue Ever lives up to its name.  It IS the Best glue Ever."  

Sudie Alexander aka The Glue Girl Host of Unkit Live!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to scraperfect

I like the ATG for paper and photos, and Aileen's acid free for buttons, and other embellishments, and teriffically tacky tape for ribbon and lace,,,,,

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to CommaHolly

I like everyone else have several adhesives and mainly use my atg ........however to start I used the tombow .....and then built my glue stash from there

Mono Adhesive (Permanent) Dispenser - New Style

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to melissadam

I have been scrapping a long time and this has become my favorite adhesive after trying many. It's very inexpensive. It comes out in a very thin line so it's good for small titles, embellishments, etc. It also has a larger side where more glue comes out but I rarely use it. You only need a little bit so this little bottle will last you a long time. It dries really fast so once you adhere you can't move things around though.

Mono Multi Liquid Glue

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to olleharr

honestly i use aleens tacky glue for everything!!!

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to flutterbye0419

I use different adhesives for different thing--there is not ONE single adhesive that will do EVERYTHING. Just impossible!

Here's what I use, in order of what I reach for first:

1. PVA -- this is a white liquid glue that dries clear and is used for book binding. It is acid-free and archival safe. You can get it in a few scrapbook stores but mostly art supply shops carry it. Scrapbook.com is one of the few places to carry it as well--linked below. It dries rock hard and is great for little things, like diecut letters you don't want falling off. It is permanent. Works on felt and ribbon as well if you want to use it for that but I mostly use it on paper and photos.

2. ATG -- I have the Big Yellow gun Works great for everything and it is also pretty permanent. One roll goes a looooooooong way. I like to use the 1/2" or 3/4" widths and just use a little dab at a time. You can also get it in smaller tape widths. A big investment in the beginning compared to the smaller tape runners on the market but in the long run, it will save you big bucks and a lot of heartache. If the tape breaks, you can just re-thread it. If the tape breaks on most tape runners, you are throwing $5-10 in the trash. It is big but you get used to that.

3. Glue Dots -- For everything that tape and glue won't do, glue dots will. Buttons, small embellies, ribbons and trims, I reach for Glue Dots or Glue Lines--I love the 1" lines because you can stretch them to any length and use them to adhere ribbon really easily to a page.

4. 3L Scrapbook Adhesive Runners or American Crafts Runners -- I use both of these but they have every different price points (see below). When I want something quick or small, I use these. Or if I want to move it later since this adhesive seems to be labeled permanent but if you don't press down too hard, you can lift things later if you want to move them.

5. Other stuff I use but not all the time:

Art Glitter Dries Clear Glue -- great for glitter, dries fast, dries clear, great for making flowers

K&Co Wacky Tack Glue -- works even on buttons. Really thick and hard to squeeze the bottle if you have carpal tunnel or arthritis but it works on everything.

American Crafts tape -- this comes on a roll and is really easy to use--just apply it and tear or cut the tape. Then peel to reveal the doublesided part.

Fabri-Tac, Zip Dry, Beacon 3 in 1 -- these all do similar stuff -- they are clear glues that glue just about everything. But they smell to high heaven so I only use them when I have too. And they make a big goopy mess if you are not careful-strings all over the place, blobs of glue poking out. The nice thing is you can peel that stuff off but at the same time, that sounds like alot of work if you have another option available that does not involve so much clean up.And that does not stink.

Glue Gun -- I know, it is kind of taboo but when nothing else works, I get out the glue gun.

Everything I use in my top 4 is linked below: ) Hope that helps!
Products Referenced in This Post:

New Kid On the Block
In response to lstory

I am going to buy a ATG gun and am waffling between a 1/4" and 1/2" gun. Any preference?

Jenny

iuplori
Guru
iuplori
In response to phoenixjen

Get the 1/4"...much more flexible

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to iuplori

I agree, the get .25". If you so happen to need .5", you can always run two strips of adhesive. I use different adhesives depending on the project.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to HisGEM

hmmm... i find it interesting that so many of you say you need more than one adhesive. i do not find this the case at all! my one adhesive has been great for everything!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to flutterbye0419

Not really a "need" because I could use my Xyron for everything, but I just like the different adhesives and how they hold different material.

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to Bitty-Boo

I use different adhensive for different things also. Some works better, just depends on your project. I just bought my ATG so that is getting used quit often. But I still use my squares, double sided tape, and pop ups love the pop ups. And I love my Xyron for small little things and letters. And my larger Xyron for bigger pieces with details. I never used dots yet. I guess I need to give those a try.

marzbe
marzbe 
New Kid On the Block
marzbe
In response to kajunkat

I'm another one that's lost on adhesives. Should I just invest in the Xyron and be done with it?

I get way too overwhelmed in the scrapbook aisle at Michael's!

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to marzbe

• marzbe Said:
I'm another one that's lost on adhesives. Should I just invest in the Xyron and be done with it?

I get way too overwhelmed in the scrapbook aisle at Michael's!

I started with the 900 Xyron about seven years ago and I also have the Xyron 500. I like using them, but in the last couple of years I started using Glue Dots for things like buttons, ribbons, washers, etc. Then this past year I started using Zig 3 way pins and the GlidePro. Just a couple of weeks ago I bought the Pink ATG, but I have used it.

If I was just starting now, I would get the Pink ATG, some GlueDots and Zig 3 way pen.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics