Page 6 of 32 
Username Post: {The ABC's of Organization Support Group}        (Topic#1544033)
Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to Tina scraps

did I mention that my scrap desk is such a mess, that I actually scrap on the dining room table most of the time, and there's stuff all over it and has been for literally a year? (we don't have kids and bf's nasty bird doesn't get around much, he works in restaurant and eats there, so we don't use table)

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

OK, so that's 2 for working at the table, so far.

I hear ya ladies & can relate & sympathize.

I have a super small desk.

My motto is, Have Tools, Will Scrap (Anywhere!)

The problem (for me) and this concept, is having to then transfer my mess & find a home for it (that is, if its lucky enough to get one)...Yes, I'm sad to admit, it usually doesn't always happen right away!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

• Tina scraps Said:
type of space: Bf and I share an office/scrap room.

themes/colors: white walls, the only decorations besides our "stuff" are his anime posters (don't get me going, lol).

challenge: my biggest challenge is actually putting stuff back, but I think it's because not everything actually has an assigned home, and I can never seem to figure out a system that works for me.

My current project has been labeling containers/drawers to things have a defined home.

Congrats on the continued purging & organization Tina!

Sharing Space w/Others! - Offhand, hopefully, Nati (from the list) will be able to join us. I know she shares a space with her husband. Same for Karen, but I know she's in the middle of a huge organizational makeover right now, but I think her hubby sweetly gave up his portion of the room.

We'll have to ask & find out more if & when both ladies stop by.

Walls - As for the walls, I think in the case of any possible painting or wall borders...those items would both be a task to try and work on before anything else.

Being a military spouse, I move way too often to bother to paint, so white is all I seem to know. In my case, basically, I need to get some pieces on the wall, but ultimatley have yet to really get it all done the way that I would like! (clock, frames & artwork = then I'll finally be done!)

Some questions or ideas to consider might be...

- What types of plans do we have for our wallspace? (if any).

- How much space is there to be used/or filled up?

- Are you a visual storage or hidden storage type of scrapper?

- When thinking of the walls, What all would you like to see on them?...
Shelving?....Decorative curtain rods? (for Layout displays, tools, D.I.Y. Clip-It up, etc?)....
Shadowboxes?...Framed Art?...Collectibles?
Photos?...Or perhaps signs & handmade craft projects?

Cleanup - If you are basically traveling from 1 location to another...as an idea, you might try either scrapping from a rolling tote, a craft tote/cart or even a rolling kitchen cart.

If floor space is an issue (in the case of any possible rolling storage),
1) you could keep your tools in a carry tote...
2) assign your scraps a scrap bin...
3) 12x12 paper to a paper bin...
4) & any other leftover misc embellies & such to a work tray, basket or box.

Labels - What are you currently using? Do you have a certain shape, color or style that you would like to use? Eitherway & if so, we can be sure to post & keep a list of some various free printable labels & such!

HTH!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to KellyCali

current space: scrapping "corner" in the family room with Expedit shelves and desk and a rolling cart
style/colors/themes: all the furniture in my corner is black and the family room is olive
biggest challenge: zero wall space ... the shelves take up one wall of the corner, and there's no room to put anything on the wall behind my chair. Also, to get to the shelves under the desk, I have to move the chair out of the way and crawl underneath

what's working for me: cropper hoppers for cs in rainbow color order, small drawers for chipboard alphas, arranged by letter
what's not: no space to keep glimmer mist vertical, drawers are not properly labeled, rest of family uses my scrap desk as a dumping ground

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to madmatter

uhoh. is glimmer mist supposed to be kept vertical? lol

K, it has felt so liberating to purge! I just mailed a medium size priority mail box of scrap stuff to a friend, who is teaching a scrapbook class at a local elementary school. I gave a coworker a massive amount of patterned paper - and mind you, that was from a 3rd round purge, I had already purged some!

I have to say, reading this thread has already motivated me today, cause I finished cleaning off most of the dining room table and wiped it down. talk about a visual improvement!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

• Tina scraps Said:
I have to say, reading this thread has already motivated me today, cause I finished cleaning off most of the dining room table and wiped it down. talk about a visual improvement!

Yay!! That's terrific!!

klsteven
Veteran
klsteven
In response to KellyCali

I think another one of my challenges is that I share space for both scrapping and quilting (both hobbies take up a lot of room) and my furniture is mismatched and doesn't "work together" very well. I think I need to come up with some sort of design plan and work towards achieving that...

I have small amounts of wall space and natural light from the living room window. I have one large wall, but can't put up anything permanent because when I'm working on a quilting project it becomes my design wall...

We didn't eat at our table for close to six months when I wasn't putting away my stuff. Now it's put away and we eat there, but I don't craft because everything is put away and I can't see it... guess I'm very visual that way.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Sarah-Scraps

• Sarah-Scraps Said:

Type of Space - half a room
Colours/Style/Theme - my room is all white, and my creations, and scrappy goodies are the colour
Main Challenge - Neat containers that keep my things safe from little fingers!

Sarah...

- Do you have organizational containers or organizational/container type stores where you are located?
- Are you in need of certain kinds? (plastic, fabric, baskets, wood, latched, clear or colored?)
- Where will you put them?
- What will you put in them?
- And or what sizes are you looking for (or dream of?)

Note: You know I'm asking so I can be on the lookout!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Katherine, I'm heading over to your scraproom to take a closer look!

klsteven
Veteran
klsteven
In response to KellyCali

Ok, but there's not much to look at...

klsteven
Veteran
klsteven
In response to klsteven

Thanks for your suggestions Kelly, they were really great!

That sewing cabinet is full of all kinds of fantastic fabric and pins and scissors and quilting stuff... sometimes I just like to pull the drawers open and look at everything!

My bookshelf is a little more organized now... but I do still need to work on labeling things and some matching storage containers would be nice. Right behind it is the refrigerator, so there isn't much of an option for more storage space there.

The desk is my nemesis... do I put a bunch of work in to making it work for me or do I just get a new desk?? I'm thinking an L-shaped desk with a flat surface for crafting on under the window would be nice... but I don't have the finances to make a big furniture investment right now.

I guess I should update my photos a little...

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to klsteven

Hi Katharine!

Trust me, I'm completely all about repurposing & trying not to buy a single thing! I consider it a welcomed challenge & literally love to brainstorm until something finally works!

As I think you may have already mentioned somewhere above, sometimes just moving things around can give you an entirely different look.

So keeping along those lines, how about moving the desk (even with the curtains)...And moving the sewing cabinet/table & or nearby side table to the corner where the computer desk currently is?

You could either place everything in 1 row (the desk, the cabinet & the sewing cabinet) OR the 2 smaller cabinets/table to form a corner L (as in a sewing corner).

I think you mentioned you had another 2-drawer cabinet. Is that for crafts or could it be kept next to the computer desk if moved?

Hopefully, this makes sense!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Katharine, I forgot to ask.

Do they have something similar to Craigslist in Canada? How about Thrift Stores or places where you can possibly find materials for free?

Mainly asking because I could see you reusing & repurposing a couple of pieces of good wood. If so, you could probably get away with...

1) making 2 small shelves for your current desk

2) making yourself the desired L-shaped desk out of your smaller cabinet & shelf (if they are the same height?) by using a large piece of wood or an old door

3) adding a piece to the back of your larger bookshelf or making 2 closing cabinet doors which would provide a bit more privacy vs. open storage.

Um, easier said than done, but just some ideas if you were to come across such materials!

klsteven
Veteran
klsteven
In response to KellyCali

So many good suggestions!

I have an hour and a half before I have to go pick up my son from cadets... so I'm going to have a go at this mess and see what I can come up with. I'll post updated pics if I come up with anything good.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to klsteven

• klsteven Said:
I think another one of my challenges is that I share space for both scrapping and quilting (both hobbies take up a lot of room) and my furniture is mismatched and doesn't "work together" very well. I think I need to come up with some sort of design plan and work towards achieving that...

I have small amounts of wall space and natural light from the living room window. I have one large wall, but can't put up anything permanent because when I'm working on a quilting project it becomes my design wall...

We didn't eat at our table for close to six months when I wasn't putting away my stuff. Now it's put away and we eat there, but I don't craft because everything is put away and I can't see it... guess I'm very visual that way.

I think being that the desk & the curtains match, they work well. I also can spot a bit of brown, from the curtain rod above. Greyish blue & brown go work well together. I think you could play off of those 2 colors, just by including either material, fabric, ribbon or buttons within your space.

Ideas...

- Do-It-Yourself ribbon tiebacks

- Coordinating sheets/quilts/fabric or runners over any undesired surfaces

- Mini quilts for the wall (Either strung, framed or hung on hangers)

- Framed artwork

- Framed button collection (in honor of your grandmother!)

- You can even use some of your albums or books to decorate & pull in some coordinating color

- The key here is to use or create from what you already have;

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

OK, I think I'm all caught up Katharine.

Good Luck & already looking forward to your plans! Yay!!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Sidenote for all.

Since there will most likely be an array of topics discussed on any given day...

Something that everyone might find especially helpful is to post & or repost a short Daily To-Do List.

We'll say, no less than 3 items, but no more than 5 (just so we don't overdo it!)

p.s. If you don't complete your chosen items for the day, please feel free to just carry them over until the following day & or until you can offically cross them off!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

I'm going to keep it super simple today...

Kelly's To Do List

1. Clean off my desk
2. Clean up the floor
3. Empty the trash

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Hi Nancy,

We're over here!

Here's hoping you find us!

klsteven