Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: JUST can't decide...        (Topic#1544443)
MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

Morning! I have a little tiny problem, think you can help?

I'm about to create a LO about DS and my brother making a big and super colorful building made out of Legos. What I can't decide on is, for lack of a better term, the composition.

Since the photos are chock full of color, would you...

Use loads of multi-colored paper to echo the subject?

OR

Go pretty subdued and muted -- maybe even monochromatic -- with paper to keep all the focus on the photos?

OR

Would you turn the photos into black/white? I dunno know why; the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

What would you do?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to MommaSaid

oh wow, decisions, decisions,,,

normally, I turn those photos into black and white,,,but legos are such wonderful colors,,,

I think I'd go subdued color scheme,,,maybe black and white, maybe something schoolish, preschooly like???

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

Maybe a few splashes of color in the embellies???

melissadam
Angel
melissadam

what about a white or black bg with a couple rectangles of the primary colors to mimic the legos???

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

I wouldn't go b&w for the pics ... the colors of legos rock

I would probably use mostly black in the background, and stick with primary color accents

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to madmatter

I think you're all brilliant and right so far!

Follow up, I've got a couple sheets of black/white houndstooth pp that I might like in the background...They kinda do the linking thing..

And the coffee has kicked in enough for me to realize I'm about to turn this into, "design and do my page for me!" Oops!

Still, I'm loving and appreciating your help so far. B/w background and colorful embellishments it is! Thank you!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to MommaSaid

post it when you're done I'd love to see what you do with it!

melissadam
Angel
melissadam

at Archivers we sell lego brads ....Im just sayin ......

cant wait to see what you come up with!

JHAWKEYE
Mayor
JHAWKEYE
In response to melissadam

To me, you can't go wrong with a kraft paper background. It seems more neutral than b/w and would really make lego photos pop. Using primary embellies and papers then as an accent would really make everything jump off the page. Good luck with your LO!!

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to JHAWKEYE

just found lots of great lego stuff in the superstore!!!!!!

Edited by melissadam on 10-07-10 03:33 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Scrap Happy 2006
Mayor
Scrap Happy 2006

What about using something like this?
BasicGrey - Oliver Collection - Doilies - 12 x 12 Die Cut Paper - Prairie, BRAND NEW
It has a neutral background but emphasizes the squares of the legos with just a hint of color!

Resident

• melissadam Said:
what about a white or black bg with a couple rectangles of the primary colors to mimic the legos???

+1 for this idea.

Tay
Tay 
Diva
Tay
  • Tay on 10-07-10 06:39 AM

• melissadam Said:
at Archivers we sell lego brads ....Im just sayin ......

cant wait to see what you come up with!

I have those brads.. and the lego paper as well. Will never ever use them again, so I attached the brads to my name tag at work. (I work at Toys R US. LOL!!!)

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to JHAWKEYE

• JHAWKEYE Said:
To me, you can't go wrong with a kraft paper background. It seems more neutral than b/w and would really make lego photos pop. Using primary embellies and papers then as an accent would really make everything jump off the page. Good luck with your LO!!

Thought about that earlier. I'd LOVE to have some kraft paper. The kicker is, I'm working on not spending any more money and using what I already have. Black and white paper, I have. Brown paper (of any kind) seems to have gone into hiding...along with a vast majority of my earth-toned cardstock, horn-swaggle it!

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to MommaSaid

Oh, the pressure.... I think I'd go with a white background (to POP those colors!) and doodle a border. Splashes of color with background blocks (like offset matting, maybe?). I'm not good at this stuff!

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to meezerpleaser

You know... I tend to shy away from doodling because -- despite how easy it is -- I'm convinced I'm so "amateur" at it. I might have to give it a go. Thanks for the tip!

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to MommaSaid

I agree with a black or white background, it'd depend on the other colors in the picture. I used to steer clear of doodling and still don't get into anything complicated, but crooked lines or faux stitching are pretty easy.

I'm not a good drawer but I can copy ok. No skill required, give it a try, if I can do it so can you. Here's an example, not asking for comments it's just easier to show than tell.

Spring Break By Scrap4brains

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
Morning! I have a little tiny problem, think you can help?

I'm about to create a LO about DS and my brother making a big and super colorful building made out of Legos. What I can't decide on is, for lack of a better term, the composition.

Since the photos are chock full of color, would you...

Use loads of multi-colored paper to echo the subject?

OR

Go pretty subdued and muted -- maybe even monochromatic -- with paper to keep all the focus on the photos?

OR

Would you turn the photos into black/white? I dunno know why; the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

What would you do?

I would keep the photo in color, enlarge it some and use just 1 or 2 colors from the photo for the papers around it. Keep it simple on the papers to let the photo pop. I wouldnt do the photo in black n white cause the colors on Lego is what makes Lego so much fun.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to TheCharmedOne

I did a layout about the same exact subject a while back (in 2008)...
Here's my take:

How High? By Doreena

The strips of paper in the middle are just a piece of colorful striped pp that I cut into strips to mimic the "tower" my dd created.

Hope it helps!

Edited by Doreena on 10-07-10 11:29 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to Doreena

I like the idea of a black background with some bold primary colored embellies.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics