Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Decorative Scissors        (Topic#1544459)
Sara I.
Veteran
Sara I.

This is my problem - I cannot get any punches for myself because right now I can't spend the money, however, I was given a box full of decorative scissors from fiskars from a friend of mine that doesnt scrap anymore. My question is, how do you cut the edges to make a consistent border? I find that I can never connect the cuts precisely and then have to recut to try to have it look right. Ive since given up on them, but was wondering what Im doing wrong or this just the downside of the scissors??
Products Referenced in This Post:

jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo
In response to Sara I.

I always used to start my next cut exactly where I left off.....kinda hard to keep it straight and consistant though.

If you are looking for cheap unique borders why not try using:
strips of paper like ribbon
torn edge strips
distressed strips
homemade flower border
purposly uneven edged cuts

the list goes on.....if a tool frustrats you that much, it's time to just put it away, because it's making your scrapping not fun anymore.

I have however found the scollped adge deco scissors to be extremly useful for 2 things lately. Homemade roses and cuting the outer edge frame for homemade banners. Both very popular in sb'ing right now.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to jennaroo

It's definitely those scissors and not you...which is pretty much why they want out of style for the most part. I recommend just using them on one edge or opposite edges rather than try to do a square with them.

On another note...its also hard to line up border punches and if you'll notice, lots of people don't worry too much about how the corners look.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to StarsNSparkles

Deco scissors are a pain as a general rule ... the only one I use is the one that gives an antique edge (like torn paper). I don't even bother trying to line it up, because the look is a distressed one.

I gave away all my others to my synagogue.

Sara I.
Veteran
Sara I.
In response to madmatter

LOL, thanks ladies.... I really was starting to think it was me, and Im so relieved!! I will try the other suggestions you mentioned! Now what to do with all those scissors, lol!!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Sara I.

You might want to use them to make decorative paper strips or for card making, so I wouldn't get rid of them immediately. Play with them and see if they're more trouble than they're worth.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 10-07-10 08:15 AM
In response to madmatter

I recently dug out my deco scissors and used them for a couple of things. I think they would be useful in cardmaking. My best advice would be not to overdo it. Just a little deco edge here and there on a page, not everywhere. Also, don't cut the pictures! LOL I recently used my deco scissors to make a homemade flower. It turned out really cute!

scrapbookin nurse
Guru
scrapbookin nurse
In response to LeeLo

I think I have almost all of the deco scissors from fiskars, I never use them anymore because they were more trouble than they were worth. My kids love to use them though so I keep them around for them. Just another fad that's gone out of style.

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to scrapbookin nurse

deckle and the big wave scissors aren't too hard to match, and for zig zags look for old pinking shears at a yard sale... I love mine! I applaud you for using what you have been given!

my mantra lately has been -- use it up, wear it out, make-do or do with out

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to DaisyButton

• DaisyButton Said:
deckle and the big wave scissors aren't too hard to match, and for zig zags look for old pinking shears at a yard sale... I love mine! I applaud you for using what you have been given!

my mantra lately has been -- use it up, wear it out, make-do or do with out

Can I steal your "mantra"? I would love to work on what I have. ....you're my inspiration!

Tara_13CJ
Veteran
Tara_13CJ
In response to jennaroo

I just turn the paper backwards and draw a line with a ruler and cut along the line and it makes a nice border, etc..

Sara I.
Veteran
Sara I.
In response to Tara_13CJ

I remember when I first started scrapbooking, I did use the scissors to cut the pictures and the paper to match, lol, and honestly I can't for the life of me figure out why I did that But I do have 3 little girls, so worse case scenario, I'll pass them onto them!! The line idea is a great idea, too!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Tara_13CJ

Someone here posted a very helpful tutorial about cutting with deco scissors. I'll see if I can find it.

I wouldn't be inclined to BUY any deco scissors, but I think it's great to use what you already have.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

Found it! Should have remember it was Gelidy Gelato.

[image] How to cut photo mats with deco scissors By Gelidy Gelato[/image]

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to Bxr-Linda

Flip the paper over and draw a line to use as your guide. Make the first cut with your deco scissors. Be careful to stop just before you get to the scissor tip. Open scissors along guide line and adjust until the grooves fit into the end of your last cut. Make your next cut.
Sounds difficult but it's fairly simple. Just takes a lot of practice.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to traceyjean

I have just a few of the scissors and it takes some precision to get it right. There are a few where it doesnt really matter and others look well weird if ya dont follow the pattern. Me most used scissor is the one with the vintage photo edge. Just like in the old days where you'd have a white edge around the photo with that nice cutted edge. I stay clear from the scallop scissors cause ya cant get that one right. The zig zag one is also great for small edges like on strips of paper. The trick is to start a cut from beginning to end, open the scissor again and start from the point where ya ended and make one cut again. It takes some fiddling n practice....

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to wilbur

Why sure you can! It's not mine... I stole it from my depression era grandparents and father - in - law!

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to DaisyButton

I've also been known to tear on an old school ruler with a metal edge sticking out of the wood... When I want a cleaner tear for a border...

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Tara_13CJ

• Tara_13CJ Said:
I just turn the paper backwards and draw a line with a ruler and cut along the line and it makes a nice border, etc..

I do the same thing...draw a line on the back of the paper I'm cutting, w/ pencil, and then use that as my cutting guide...works everytime!

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to Doreena

I do exactly the same thing - draw a line on the back and then cut. I mostly use deckles (which are most forgiving) and I use the scallops. Other than that, my deco scissors just sit gathering dust.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics