Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: What has changed over the years with scrapbooking?        (Topic#1544551)
Resident

I'm just curious...what kinds of things have changed, whether it's trends or tools or whatever, for scrapbooking? I mean, I know the Cricut wasn't always around (didn't this only come out like 2 or 3 years ago?) I bought an old scrapbooking book that was published in 1998...not a whole lot looks different, expect that they emphasized buying clip art from books to use as embellishments.

Thoughts?

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to yellow5

When I first started, it seemed like most of the stickers were flat and one-dimensional. Those aren't in use as much as they used to be, from what I have seen. Less flowers used back then, too. There was a big trend towards the little paper dress up dolls when I first started and I bought a ton of them, but I've noticed those got phased out (although they seem to be coming back for some people). I think people are using more and more non-traditional scrapping items, too. Like any other hobby, there's lots of trends but also some things that will probably stick around for a long time!

iuplori
Guru
iuplori
In response to yellow5

Cricut's been around I'd say for at least 5 years. I think something that has changed a lot is just the amount of product available. I think for some people it has become more of about the art of papercrafting than just simply preserving memories too.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to yellow5

• yellow5 Said:
I'm just curious...what kinds of things have changed, whether it's trends or tools or whatever, for scrapbooking? I mean, I know the Cricut wasn't always around (didn't this only come out like 2 or 3 years ago?) I bought an old scrapbooking book that was published in 1998...not a whole lot looks different, expect that they emphasized buying clip art from books to use as embellishments.

Thoughts?

I have to disagree & say that these days there are literally tons of styles, techniques & tools that just weren't around yesterday, but that are now available to us today. I could sit here & go on & on, but here is just a short list of what has indeed changed...

Then - Circles, Squares, Hearts & Stars
Now - Scallops, Frames, & basically any shape or design under the moon.

Then - Very few tools
Now - Cuttlebug/BigBite/BindItA ll/CropADile/Slice/etc.

Then - Glue sticks
Now - ATG

Then - 8 & 1/2 x 11
Now - Every size possible

Then - Plain paper.
Now - Literally thousands of designs.

Then - Paper scrapbooking.
Now - Paper, Acrylic, Wood & everything & anything you could think of.

Then - yellowing magnetic pages (insert scary effects)
Now - acid-free/plastic protective sheet/safe albums.

Then - markers
Now - Copics

Then - Decorative scissors
Now - Hundreds of paper punches, in addition to decorative scissors

Then - Crowded closets
Now - Workshops/Studios/Designa ted Scraprooms

Then - Very few companies leading creativity
Now - Blogs, Facebook, sb.com, Sketches, Blueprints, PageMaps, Tim Holtz (say no more), Martha Stewart, etc!

Then - Shows & Workshops, far & few in between.
Now - Crops, classes, tutorials everyday of the week!

Then - Very different from Now
Now - Very different from Then

kygirlnfla
Mayor
kygirlnfla
In response to KellyCali

Kelly......VERY well said!!!!!

I would just like to add that it also has got to be EVEN more FuN and Fulfilling NOW since you can put so much MORE into your projects because there is soooooo much more product out there to individualize what you're working on whether it's just using ready-made stuff or creating your own embellies and flowers etc......So much MORE!!!

Edited by kygirlnfla on 10-08-10 10:48 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo
In response to kygirlnfla

Not only has it changed since the 90's but it changes per year really.

Like for instance last year owls, cartoon typr birds, and all things forrest animal were HUGE. Although still popular this year the trend is real floraly with lots of doiley's and very sophisticated looking. Wonder whats on the books for next year.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to jennaroo

Agreed, Kelly, lots of things have changed. This is a very good list! and to Jennaroo, I agree with that statement as well!

Next year? More steampunk!

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 10-08-10 11:07 AM
In response to jennaroo

I know several years ago when I started, it was all pretty basic. It was more a white background, pictures matted on plain cardstock, sticker titles and sticker embellishments. I learned the "plain" way to do it. I do still use some of the techniques I learned, but I've discovered all kinds of things within the last couple of years...printed paper, different adhesives, more embellishments, different techniques, etc. I look back at some of my old LOs and although I wouldn't change them because I think it's cool to see how I've changed, I think, wow, that's plain! My very first LO was done with a sheet of cardstock, some squares from a scrap pack, a regular ball point pen, a glue stick and one punch out die cut embellie. I've been trying to broaden my horizons lately...I've purchased an ATG, distressing ink, Stickles, ribbons, flowers, etc. Now if I could just fi nd the time to use it!

jeneppers
Veteran
jeneppers
In response to jennaroo

I guess I don't scrap by style...I haven't noticed all the "trends". Maybe its because I just try and use what I have. Maybe its because I have my "style"...which isn't very creative. I agree that there is much MORE out there to purchase, but does it really matter what the current "trend" is?? Will I remember that page was in style three, four, twenty years from now?? Will I remember that oh my that paper was soooo last year? Nope, I scrap for the memories and that's all that matters to me.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to rockmom

the better question might be "what hasn't changed?"

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
the better question might be "what hasn't changed?"

I was just getting ready to say that! To me, EVERYTHING's changed since I started scrapping. But then that was apparently in the Dark Ages, just one eon away from Construction Paper Ages.

ollychelle
Expert
ollychelle
In response to meezerpleaser

One trend, that I haven't stuck much too if you look in my gallery, but I notice it a lot more lately. People tend to put less photos on pages. The focus seems to be more on one/two photos and the embellishments rather than multiple photos. I for one take too many pictures. I guess I figure my kids, years from now will like the photos more than the embellishments (at least that is what I tell myself- ha ha)

Also, the trend from single page layouts, to double page spreads, back to single page layouts, etc. is something else I have noticed.

Edited by ollychelle on 10-08-10 01:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tay
Tay 
Diva
Tay
  • Tay on 10-08-10 02:59 PM
In response to ollychelle

What's changed for me specifically...

Let me just put it this way

THEN: You Are Special By Tay

NOW: Little Doll By Tay

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Tay

Did Kelly get the new digital software and hybrid styles for now days? That is one area that has grown leaps in bounds in the last couple of years.

Just the fact that photo labs are now offering smaller sizes as well as 12x12.

Look how much stamping has changed, it used to be rubber stamps only and even then far and few between!

Then: Vellum,Mulberry and many different textured papers.

Then: zig 48 pack of pens for journaling
Now : Copics for blending,shading and highlighting

I am so glad that electronic die cutting machines have come out, I was a wreck with scissors! Totally cutting challenged. Cricut saved me!

Edited by jaxxan on 10-08-10 03:16 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to ollychelle

• ollychelle Said:
One trend, that I haven't stuck much too if you look in my gallery, but I notice it a lot more lately. People tend to put less photos on pages. The focus seems to be more on one/two photos and the embellishments rather than multiple photos. I for one take too many pictures.

Yes, I am of your school of scrapping too. Way too many pictures and limited album room.
I wondered if it was the backlash from all the pictures being deco scissored to death.

kygirlnfla
Mayor
kygirlnfla
In response to jaxxan

Tay...Though your Then layout is sweet, your Now layout is WOW....luv it!!!

Good additional points Jill!!!

I totally understand the need and desire to scrap more photos on a page and have seen many really awesome LO's doing so.

I however, like to Scrapbook partly...at least 50% for the creative/artistic value of it and lets face it....one has more real estate on a 12"x12" when you only add one to three photos. I'm sure the Scrapping Industry realize this too and may have somehow directed designers to use more one or few photo layouts to further their agenda....making MORE $$$

*Yvette*
Tenant
*Yvette*
In response to kygirlnfla

Pretty much what has already been said. Also I'm not so sure as many people scrap chronologically...or I may just be speaking for myself haha!

Sheila is right on point!

Audrey04
Resident
Audrey04
In response to *Yvette*

It should be about the photos, IMO.
FF to 2075: "Look at this scrapbook of grandma when she was a baby! But it's too bad her mom used papers that were sooo 2006 when it was 2010!"

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Audrey04

I haven't been around long. However, since I have been introduced to this wonderful life I would have to say cost! Everything is gettng expensive in the stores....online maybe not so much...

_pink_glitter_hearts_
Guru
_pink_glitter_hearts_
In response to HisGEM

i think people are more aware of acid free since scrapping started. and those deco scissors...shudder....so many innocent pictures cut into heart shapes by those things. lol also there's more selection now. when i first started scrapping in the late 90's, a lot of my fave stuff didn't exsist. and if it did, it was not acid free. and as one other person said cost...my $ used to go further on glue and other stuff for sure. i had idea books from that time and there was sort of a set motif of lo's which consisted of white paper background, a sticker sneeze (of flat stickers), and crazy cut out zig zag photos on a single mat. now everyone seems to have branched out for the better. there's shabby chic, steam punk, artsy, clean and simple, etc. change is good !

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics