Username Post: Punches        (Topic#1544923)
New Kid On the Block

I have purchesed several punches be several namebrands... first punch was martha s and it was the new punch around the corner snowflakes.. I was so excited.. then to find out my New punch will only punch every other snow flake.. I took it back...
Next I purchased the New fiskars punch anywhere starter kit.. well i just tried it and it will not punch the whole square. .wth am I doing wrong???? I dont get it.. only the two opposing corners will punch out..

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to sitedesignmom

Are you sure you're puching down until they're done punching? If it were just one punch that did that, I'd say it was the punch, but since it's two punches from two different brands, maybe you're not being forceful enough?

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Here Kitty

and what are you punching? some papers are just too thick.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I am punching regular cardstock.. not that thick so I tried paper and the same thing..
when I look at the fiskars punch and press down I can see the square is not flush or flat .. two of the sides are not the same height the others..if that makes sense.

New Kid On the Block

when i took the MS punch back to Michaels they said to sharpen it with tinfoil? I said it was brand new so why would it be dull. I live rural so to get to a store takes over an hour, so I said refund please. I really wanted that punch too.. so cute

Edited by sitedesignmom on 10-13-10 04:59 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

New Kid On the Block

Ok i tried it again and with printer paper.. and it worked but i had to press really really hard.. man i sound like such an old lady but im not.. lol
my hand hurts i have to press so hard.. so... it does work but with thin paper...

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

I can't speak for the Fiskars one (though I do love the idea of that "punch anywhere" system), but I have a ton of the MS border punches and I haven't had trouble with them. I do need to use a little pressure if I'm punching cs, but in general, they are some of the easiest and smoothest punches I've used. I'm so sorry you had to return yours.

btw, if the punch also embosses, you need to give it more muscle.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to madmatter

If it's a Martha Stewart double punch, then it will be hard to punch. There are some tutorials in the Video section here (select Videos at the top of the screen and search for Martha Stewart). I think her regular punches are easier.

The same is with the Fiskars. Their regular punches are easy, unless they are for embossing. Their squeeze punches are a dream! But, the "everywhere" punch system takes a lot of effort. You have to press until you hear 2 solid clicks.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to Luvmyfam

i dont have the MS brand, but i squeeze my punches, rather hard, until the shape pops out. i think its the same pressure as a regular office style 3 hole punch needs, however being a much smaller device it seems like you need more "umf."

sometimes i will flip the punch over as i use it so i can see if it went through or not. maybe that will help.

good luck!

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to Lamoo12

I always have to use the stand-up-straight-locked- arm-push-like-Hades method with my punches. Maybe the next time you're in town you could try getting the MS punch again??

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to meezerpleaser

The punch anywhere punches can take some force, you need to make sure you hear the two punches. So push down, when you hear it punch once keep putting pressure on it until you hear the second punch.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

• sitedesignmom Said:
when i took the MS punch back to Michaels they said to sharpen it with tinfoil? I said it was brand new so why would it be dull. I live rural so to get to a store takes over an hour, so I said refund please. I really wanted that punch too.. so cute

I'd bring it back - have the salesperson try the punch so they can see what's happening. I got a bad punch once and they seemed to not understand until they tried it. When I got a replacement we took it out of the box right then to make sure it was better.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to scraprabbit

• scraprabbit Said:
  • sitedesignmom Said:

I'd bring it back - have the salesperson try the punch so they can see what's happening. I got a bad punch once and they seemed to not understand until they tried it. When I got a replacement we took it out of the box right then to make sure it was better.

I have that punch set and it works well and is not hard to use. MS punches are great to use and unless its a double punch they shouldn't need muscle. My 3 yr old loves them because they are so easy.

New Kid On the Block
In response to CorrieW

I took the punch back with the paper I was using to show them what it was doing. It needed so much pressure to punch it hurt my hand. I have other MS punches that work fine, it was just that one.
It was only punching every other snowflake and if you looked at the bottom of the punch you could see why it was only punching every other one.It was not even, if that makes sense. My fiskars works but not with heavy cs. I dont like that it makes three holes in the punched out part so you cant use it, I should have bought the squeeze punch, next purchase...lol

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics