Username Post: Sewing Machine Required?        (Topic#1545375)
ClosetScraper
Veteran
ClosetScraper

I have been noticing on many of my favorite layouts that the edges of the papers look like they have a basic stich going through them....Is it a basic sewing machine stich or an artful illusion? I love the look but I don't sew!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to ClosetScraper

I can't tell without actually seeing the layouts you're thinking of. Many layouts and cards have been sewn with a machine. Some people hand sew and some use stamps, rub-ons or pens to make the illusion of stitches.

I don't sew either, but I use my sewing machine on my papercrafts.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to Here Kitty

Amy's right. There are lots of ways to get the sewing look on your project and I use every single one: hand stitching, rub ons, stamp, pen doodling, and machine stitching. I bought a machine specifically for my paper crafts. Not sure that I could sew together a pillowcase.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to runzalot81

I do a bit of decorative sewing (slipcovers, etc.) so I just doodle my sewing because I don't want to ruin the needle that's in the machine. Needles get dull from running through paper and then won't go through cloth properly. And I'm too lazy to change the needle

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to meezerpleaser

I love stitching too. I have hand stitched card stock and that is NO fun. I have also doodled on stitches, but I prefer the real thing.
There is a new product coming out in November called Sew Easy and I am really excited to try it. It's a wheel (imagine a pizza cutter) that puts indents in the paper for you so all you have to do is thread the holes.

Here is a link to a product show. The clip is a little annoying, but you'll get the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IxJOQxRnFA

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to MissaOnTheRun

I use the Bazzill In Stitches to make the holes and then hand sew on my LOs

Rae_M
Rae_M 
Diva
Rae_M
  • Rae_M on 10-26-10 09:54 AM
In response to madmatter

I don't have a sewing machine, but I love the look! I have doodled to make it look like stitches, and on a couple of layouts, I have hand sewn the stitches, but it takes a really long time!

Ilka79
Ilka79 
Veteran
Ilka79
In response to Rae_M

missafoy I checked Sew Easy, looks nice and it is not expensive

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to Ilka79

Like others have said, you might be seeing machine stitching (easy, even for those of us who are incompetent at sewing). It might be handstitched or doodled, or it might be a rub-on. Or, it might be digital.

I'd definitely recommend trying them all!

Cindy

kaye222
Governor
kaye222
In response to cindy312

i cant sew on a machine at all! I wish i could, but i do doodling that looks like sewing and im ok with it...:)

Tidbet
Tidbet 
Resident
Tidbet
In response to kaye222

My sewing machine is actually in my scrap nook. My sewing stuff is packed in boxes!

Diamond Events by Tiffany
In response to Tidbet

They make sewing machines that are esp for crafts like paper crafts. I have one that is really small (don't use it much) and if I remember, really inexpensive.

I have a larger machine, too, but did not like dragging it out before I had a dedicated place for it.

I also have this paper piercing tool, looks like a bug (forget the name) that will poke little holes to make hand stitching easier.

Tiffany

_pink_glitter_hearts_
Guru
_pink_glitter_hearts_
In response to Diamond Events by Tiffany

i can't sew and currently don't have a sewing machine, so i get the look of sewing with rub ons or doodling. i am considering trying hand stitching with a template. either that or maybe asking my b/f...he can actually sew pretty good. lol

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics