Username Post: Water Distressing        (Topic#1545629)
kjginga
Veteran
kjginga

How difficult is water distressing? I want to try it but am totally intimidated.....

Thanks!

Kathy

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 10-25-10 12:58 PM
In response to kjginga

It is actually super easy. Just wet the edges of your paper with your wet fingers and then scrunch the paper up and dry it with a heat gun.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 10-25-10 01:19 PM
In response to CASBa

Thanks for the info...I am going to try this! I am trying to branch out and be a little more creative.

Tidbet
Tidbet 
Resident
Tidbet
In response to LeeLo

You can also use a spray bottle on die-cut paper flowers to distress them. Spray twice(lightly) with water and scrunch from the center outward.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Tidbet

Okay, follow up question, as I've wanted to do the wet distress too.

What if I don't have a heat gun? Silly, but.... Can't I just use a hair dryer or will that cause a problem? I know not everything can convert easily to hair dryer if there is no heat gun so I ask.

Rae_M
Rae_M 
Diva
Rae_M
  • Rae_M on 10-25-10 04:44 PM
In response to MommaSaid

You can totally use a hair dryer! If you want step-by-step instructions, Robinzberdz did a photo tutorial posted on the Swirlydoos website.

kjginga
Veteran
kjginga
In response to Rae_M

Thanks for the info everyone!

Kathy

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to kjginga

Cool! Thank you.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to MommaSaid

I often direct ink to paper using a Tim Holtz distress ink pad (because it is water soluable) then lightly spray with water and mop it up until I have the desired effect. I iron my paper to dry it.

lil_miss
Resident
lil_miss
In response to scrap4brains

How much water do you spray? Like enough to drown it or enough to just lightly damp it?

jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo

Is this how ppl are getting that great scrunchie looking corners.....I tried to get that by wadding my paper and had an ugly mess.

I am so going to try this.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to jennaroo

Just lightly spray. I learned the technique from a Tim Holtz video, the link is in his website. The ironing part is my idea. The background (Broken China) and the tree and grass started as white paper.

Here is an example: Not trolling for comments, just showing what I mean.
Kyle Daddy w/journaling By Scrap4brains

To curl corners or tips of flowers I use this thing that's supposed to be for the I-Rock, it doesn't work so well for that but it does a great job for the flowers.

Edited by scrap4brains on 10-26-10 05:45 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley

Doing this on the edges of paper to make it look like fabric is SO easy and fun! There are step by step instructions on the Swirlydoos site - pictures and everything! I usually bring mine to the sink and wet it with my fingers so I have more control over where the water is going. Inking the edges first with TH ink also gives a cool effect.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Smashley

thanks so much for the info ... I've been really wanting to try this technique

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics