Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: ALCOHOL INKS HELP QUICK        (Topic#1546147)
jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo

I am getting ready to start this LO and I want somethng to give areas of my LO that rich dark whimsical look of like majic smoke or something along that line. Does alcohol ink work on paper or is it just for hard surfaces? If so....I need tips on using it quick I'm going to get it from my lss today.

Also what are the best 3 rich darker colors?

TIA

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to jennaroo

It doesn't work well on normal paper. It does work on glossy cardstock though.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to disneylisa

Yeah, it will absorb into reg paper, it works, but it has a sort of faded look...I would try it on a scrap piece to see if you can get the effect you want.

As for colors, I would go with the Miner's Lantern pack, it has Pitch Black, Rust and Stonewashed. Also espresso is very dark brown.

jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo
In response to disneylisa

Thanks

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to jennaroo

What you COULD do...is mix a few darker colors with pearl mixative and do some fragments, then put the fragments on the page to make it look like smoke or smoky....

And yw! I hope it helps!

jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo
In response to Manda_K

Thats a good idea, I am trying something for the darker side challenge and it's very out of my element scrapping but, I have this vision....lol, just not sure how to deploy iy completely yet.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to jennaroo

Yeah, I get that way too. ESP if it is really stuck in there! Have to get it out! I experiment a lot, esp when it comes to inks. You can get really great effects, but it sometimes takes trial and error.

jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo
In response to Manda_K

Well thanks for your help!!!

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to jennaroo

Um -- you might try using something like cheesecloth or sheer fabric across the page.

I'm with the rest. Alcohol ink on regular paper isn't a great mix. But you could use it on some glosy cardstock and that would work. Mix it with some metallic mixative would give it the look you're looking for I think.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to GentlewoodFarms

Pearlescence chalk work well, too. They will work on regular card stock.

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to scrap4brains

You could put the alcohol ink on a transfer sheet and use it that way. Or on a piece of that clear stuff stickers come on...

jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo
In response to Rosita

Oh that would be a great idea....and I have alot of the clear transfer paper....

Unfortunately my LO doesn't need it after all so I have saved myself $10 for the time being, but this is some great advice because I have been dying to buy some, for other projects.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to jennaroo

I love them! They really do give great effects.

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to Manda_K

Maybe try pulling apart a cotton ball or a gauze pad for injuries like a 4 x 4, really thin and whispy and misting grey/black then spray with spray adhesive in spots and use pencil shavings or embossing powder...
You could soak it in dark coffee or use walnut ink... or sharpie or black/grey copic for color depth thinking out loud... not an expert...

Ms has some really great chunky multi fiber textured yarns that are already black/grey that you could shred/pull apart... and then embellish for more color depth with sprays or dyes or ink... you can also use rit powder to dye parts... you could use rough muslin and really rip on grain and dye and shred out groups of threads....k that's all I've got...

Cica
Cica 
Pro
Cica
  • Cica on 11-03-10 11:13 PM
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
What you COULD do...is mix a few darker colors with pearl mixative and do some fragments, then put the fragments on the page to make it look like smoke or smoky....

And yw! I hope it helps!

This sounds very interesting, but I have no idea what you're talking about
Is this ink in a bottle? If not, how do you mix it with the mixative and then how do you apply it once mixed to get a smokey effect?

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Cica

Yes, it is liquid ink in a little squeeze bottle, you squeeze a few drops of the color or colors you want on the applicator (felt) and a little blending solution. You can add mixative (it is pearl or metallic colors) if you want to give a different look to it. Once you do that it mottles up and blends and has a certain way it looks that is sort of smoky in itself.

Cica
Cica 
Pro
Cica
  • Cica on 11-04-10 05:04 AM
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
Yes, it is liquid ink in a little squeeze bottle, you squeeze a few drops of the color or colors you want on the applicator (felt) and a little blending solution. You can add mixative (it is pearl or metallic colors) if you want to give a different look to it. Once you do that it mottles up and blends and has a certain way it looks that is sort of smoky in itself.

Thanks, but just to be sure, you drop the ink and the mixative onto the felp applicator and then smear it onto your pp or cs? I know, bare with me

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Cica

Yes, BUT....it isn't really for use on paper or card stock, it will absorb right into it. (You can use it, but it isn't as bright.) It is more for use on non-porus items like acrylic, glass, glossy cs, photo paper....etc. I have used it on Grungepaper after inking and it looks really cool as well.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Manda_K

~Paris Dream~ By Manda_K

Like on the little square fragments, I used a few colors of ink dropped on the applicator as well as silver mixative and a little blending solution, then you tap the applicator on the plastic to get the effect. I backed the fragments with paper that I stamped.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to Manda_K

The applicator is the same used for distress inks, right? I've been thinking about getting alcohol inks for a while, I think I'm going to do it today! I really like the look of the fragments with ink on them. I also like the idea of being able to dye bling any color you want! Awesome! Manda, would you recommend the pearl or metallic mixative to start with? I'm thinking metallic.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics