Username Post: P365 chat        (Topic#1546241)
LynnK1
LynnK1 
Idol
LynnK1
In response to AMYabc123

Pam, that is such a busy day! Wow!

Small school, she's the only teacher for this class. School counselor is her husband...
Principal and superintendent have been very supportive and are really pushing for us to meet. Especially once they heard I have the printout of the grade she originally gave him. I am trying to get it scheduled for tomorrow morning before school but she is out sick today, so that's not helping things. Every time she is asked she comes up with something new that he did wrong and she says she's documented, which I'm sure she has gone back and done so now.
She said she caught him on the internet. Originally she said he was looking at football stuff. He has a 10 page paper due in 2 weeks about steroid use in the NFL. When he typed up the proposal to that he said he would be using sights such as espn.com, sportsillustrated.com etc. When reminded of that she changed it and said he was looking at clips of himself and our football team online. Well, I could see maybe once, but come on, our team was 2-6, one of those wins was a forfeit. there just can't be that many clips of Joliet football out there, especially ones of him playing center. If he did look (which he said he didn't that there aren't any online that he knows of), it certainly couldn't have taken more than a few minutes. Not to mention that if there was something worth looking at, he would have sent me the link to see it.

So, anyways I am spending the time this afternoon compiling a list of questions for her as well as counterpoints for many excuses that she could come up with. I will go in prepared and I will go in swinging (politely of course). It's already 1 1/2 typed pages long and I have at least another 1/2 page. The superintendent has assurred me that he will be watching them both and that she will not be allowed to fail him, though he could certainly fail himself. Of course.

Thanks for your support ladies, hopefully it will be all over by the time I get on tomorrow...

LynnK1
LynnK1 
Idol
LynnK1
In response to AMYabc123

turned the page... I hope so that was another long post!

pammie~k
Idol
pammie~k
In response to LynnK1

Keeping you in my prayers.keep us posted.

LynnK1
LynnK1 
Idol
LynnK1
In response to pammie~k

OMGosh, it's 4 pages long now! Well, at least I will be prepared! lol! Not to mention if I can come up with 4 pages, there is definitely something not quite right...

ScrappinHusker
Governor
ScrappinHusker
In response to LynnK1

Lynn~~I wanted to jump on and just say how sorry I am that you are dealing with this. It makes me wonder if the principal & superintendent want you to make a case for this since you have the best evidence against her. And, I am just praying for Randy & his headaches.

LynnK1
LynnK1 
Idol
LynnK1
In response to ScrappinHusker

Hello from my new lappy!!! Just came this eveing, Clinton's at a meeting so I'm checking it out! Still can't get my email to connect, but I'll work opn that tomorrow!

Thanks for the support Debbie, it has been a struggle for sure, and yes, I do believe the administrators want me to pursue this because I do have valid questions and concerns. It is a teacher that has done similar things in the past but no one ever pursues it because they are afraid that she will hold it against the student. I am also afraid of that, but I have been assured that will not happen. Anyways, still on for the meeting in the morning. Hope it all goes well. Please keep us in your prayers. Randy is still having headaches, took the prescription last night and he was groggy and not feeling well until noon today, so I didn't have him take it tonight since he has morning practice tomorrow. I am really hoping that closure on the English issue will help him.

uoduck
uoduck 
Angel
uoduck
In response to LynnK1

and prayers Lynn. I am so sorry about all of this.

AMYabc123
Expert
AMYabc123
In response to uoduck

Praying for you and Randy, Lynn. Good luck! Go Mama Bear! Proud of you for getting so prepared. It's a tough position to be in, but you're Randy's advocate. Praying for a good resolution.

ScrappinHusker
Governor
ScrappinHusker
In response to AMYabc123

will be praying, Lynn.

Congrats on your new laptop!!!

pammie~k
Idol
pammie~k
In response to ScrappinHusker

Praying for you this morning Lynn. Hugs

MandeeB
Pro
MandeeB
In response to pammie~k

Lynn...not sure you will get this before your meeting, but being the Librarian for a few years in Alamosa, I'm sure they have history of his log in on the computer...you could ask to have that pulled. It should tell them every website he's been on and for how long. Just don't lose your cool, because I would bet she will. hugs

We are all good here....lots of things happening...I'll have to update later, if I can find time to get on the computer at work.

Pam...glad you enjoyed the walk and found the rock.

Hello everyone!

Diva
In response to MandeeB

Not a good experience when the student is h aving problems with a teacher.

pammie~k
Idol
pammie~k
In response to bayamonesa1

Mandy - talk about a teaser.....LOL

Waiting for Lynn to report back

PTO meeting - yay (not) actually was not too bad....

AMYabc123
Expert
AMYabc123
In response to pammie~k

Checking in. Hoping things went well!

Mandy is a tease!

LynnK1
LynnK1 
Idol
LynnK1
In response to pammie~k

ugh! Good morning ladies! Thanks so much for your prayers and positive words of encouragement.
I did meet with her and the administrators, and the grade will not change. Our conversation did not satisfy my questions, I still feel like she was unfair. I never thought she would change the grade though because that would admit that she is wrong and she's not he type of teacher that is wrong, if you know what I mean. Anyways, she said the project was graded on what they did both in class, outside of class and then 5 points for the presentation, which he got. We all know he was unable to make the work meeting, which I struggle with that whole situation, but whatever. Anyways, so he didn't deserve the points for that. Then she said he did not participate at all on the project in class and that's why he got no points for it. I told her at some point she must have felt he did participate in class because she gave him a100. She said she gave him the benefit of the doubt but when she found out he didn't do the work groups she decided he didn't do anything. huh? whatever. I guess it's over for now. Hopefully I benefitted some student down the line for standing up to her. My opinion of her is very low now. not that that matters for anything.

pammie~k
Idol
pammie~k
In response to LynnK1

Lynn - not the outcome I was hoping for - but you are right, she probably walked in with the attitude she was not changing a thing. Has Randy asked if there is any extra credit he can do to help make up just a little for the grade.

ugh - you followed through and I think that is awesome - praying she does not take this out on Randy going forward and perhaps the administrators will keep a closer eye on things in her class...

hugs

LynnK1
LynnK1 
Idol
LynnK1
In response to pammie~k

She does not offer extra credit of any kind. So, that won't help, but he does have a couple of grades this week, one, a stained glass project (did I mention this is English class?) is worth 100 points. His is done, he sent me a picture yesterday and it looks pretty good, not super intricate, but he had originally chosen one that was intricate and he just couldn't do with the headaches. It is well done though. And like Randy said, she can't grade his artistic ability, just his effort, if he met the criteria and if he got it done on time. So, he should be good there, I think it deserves an A, but a B for sure.

Considering I brought it to her attention that students feel they will be punished if they question her, I don't think that will be happening in this case. It's too visible now. She was very upset with me that I said that, I told her that I wasn't saying she did do that, but that's how the kids feel. Whether it happens or not, that is what they feel will happen, so they don't challenge anything.
Admins have both assured me they will be watching... time will tell.

LynnK1
LynnK1 
Idol
LynnK1
In response to LynnK1

I'm sad because I know he doesn't deserve what she's done, and I feel like I let him down.

BridgetL
Pro
BridgetL
In response to pammie~k

Lynn I've been reading all about this issue with randy and his teacher. I'm sorry that it turned out how it did. I hope the next few things he turns in will help out. Hope next semester will be better for him. I can totally understand u being the protective momma. I'd do the same thing even though my boys wouldnt want me too. Hugs my friend.

MandeeB
Pro
MandeeB
In response to BridgetL

Lynn...sorry to hear about the outcome. Don't beat yourself up about this. We try to teach our kids to do what is right and to stand up for things that are right, but in the end...sometimes they just have to learn that not all things are fair, and sometimes we just have to rise above them. Not an easy lesson to learn for sure! (never, no matter how old we are does it get easier either)

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics