Username Post: Colouring stamps        (Topic#1546371)
Nikki Dee
Resident
Nikki Dee

I have been watching some tutorials where people have been colouring in stamps with watercolour pencils and copic markers and they look so good!

But the copic markers are so expensive.

I want to try the pencils but I have no idea what to buy and what blending tools to get.

Anyone have some advice or tips?

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to Nikki Dee

I did a tutorial on Ideas For Scrapbookers a bit ago on using colored pencils and odorless mineral spirits.

http://ideasforscrapbooke rs.blogspot.com/2010/10/colori...

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to Nancy Keslin

Tombow makes markers that are less expensive than Copics and work really. They're not alcohol based, but they blend well on water colour paper. Stampin Up and Close to My Heart also have similar markers, so does American Crafts, Marvy, and Inkadinkado. If you want to start small without making a huge investment and you already have ink pads, you can just buy a blending pen. Dab the ink on to an acrylic block, then pick up the ink on the pen and colour in your image. Changing colour is as easy as scribbling on a piece of scrap paper until the marks are clear and then repeat the process with a new ink pad. Memento makes an archival ink for stamping that doesn't bleed into your colouring.
You can also use the Tombow, Inkadinkado, SU, and CTMH markers to colour directly onto your stamps...

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to traceyjean

I've got some BIC Mark-Its that I'm getting ready to use for the first time this weekend. Not as good as Copics, of course, but they're supposed to be all right for a beginner like me!

When I've used watercolor pencils, I just baaaaarely moisten a very small brush and dabbed with that until I got the blending I wanted.

Electra
Veteran
Electra
In response to meezerpleaser

Well, I tell you what I do. When I color a stamped image, I usually use a water-brush from" Yasutomo". And just simply use my Ink pads, pressing a little bit of color in a plastic bag or in a no sticky surface and then I just pic the color with my water color brush and paint. The nice thing is, that you get this beautiful aquarelle effect on your images without having to spend extra money. You can do that, simply using your inks. Try it... This brush is amazing.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics