Username Post: Do I really need a tan embossing mat to use Spellbinders in a Cuttlebug?        (Topic#1546419)
kottens
Idol
kottens

I bought myself a cuttlebug last month to be able to use Spellbinders Nestabilities dies. I ordered my first dies and got them yesterday.

To my big surprise I read in the instruction that I need a Spellbinders tan embossing mat to be able to emboss in a Cuttlebug machine.

Is it really necessary? Anyone who´s tried to emboss without it?

Thanks!

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to kottens

i just got a cuttlebug ....I use the spellbinders nestabilities in it ......cuts great but doesnt emboss ......so yes you need the mat for the embossing aspect

kottens
Idol
kottens
In response to melissadam

Ok, thanks.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to kottens

you can use a plumber's mat that you can find at your local hardware store They are generally in the "fixing faucets" department

Expert
In response to CommaHolly

What about an old mouse pad? Would that work?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-05-10 12:58 PM
In response to scrappy_day

In my experience a mouse pad does not work very well. The plumber's pad - aka plumbing gasket - does work well. It's just a 6" square of plain rubber and only costs three or four dollars for a package of 2.

armygirl
Diva
armygirl
In response to stick

I just bought the 2pack of Spellbinder embossing mats at HL today for $8.99 and I used the 40% coupon so I only paid $5.40. I needed mine to use on the wizzard.

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to armygirl

I tried the plumbers mat for a while. It worked OK, but then I got the tan mat and its SO much better at least on my machine.

TLHarwick
Tenant
TLHarwick
In response to disneylisa

I used to do Education for Spellbinders and while the plumber's mat (and some other things) will work, the tan mat is really much better!

Best of luck!

CraftyCandace
Diva
CraftyCandace
In response to TLHarwick

The sandwich for cutting the Nestabilities (without embossing) is C plate, cardstock, die, B Plate. I do have the tan embossing mat for embossing, but I usually find that I need to put a thin piece of chipboard in there as well for a little extra pressure.

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to CraftyCandace

I use a silicone cooling mat I got at the $ store works great for me

soekie 
New Kid On the Block
In response to Brandilynn

I bought a silicone mat and it worked well. Live in a rural area in south africa not always possible to get the right things. Bought my cuttlebug and stampabilities 6. I am doing something wrong the paper keeps sticking so tight in the die I have to use a pin to get it out. Am using A then C paper die and then B. Tried switching order around still the same and in some places it did not cut the paper at all. Please help somebody

Soekie

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to soekie

Hi Soekie and welcome.

You only need the tan embossing mat for embossing, not cutting. You have to make two passes, one to cut and the second to emboss.

First, the sandwich you described, without the tan mat. Try putting a piece of waxed paper or baking parchment between the die and the paper, and that will help with ejecting the die-cut. Roll through the Cuttlebug.

Then remove the waxed paper and put the die-cut back into the die in the same position, and run it through again in this format:
A
die (with paper in it, cutting area pointing upwards)
tan mat
B
the other B

It doesn't really matter which order you have the plates in, as long as the tan mat is directly next to the cutting edge of the die.

Hope this helps?

soekie 
New Kid On the Block
In response to RedSquirrel

Thank you will try

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics