Username Post: I have a question about ink pads...        (Topic#1546511)
PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam

I am not a stamper but I saw a lady at a crop take out a case that had several stanp pads in it in a row and she took one colour out at a time. She used them to ink the edges of paper and flowers.....

Can you recommend some for me. A set with a variety of colours that would be good for a beginner?

I just need them to be easy to use. Last a long time as I can't see me using them everyday. AND be able to be used without getting the ink all over my fingers....

Long list eh?

thanks to anyone who answers.

Edited by PhotobearSam on 11-07-10 05:44 AM. Reason for edit: spelling

scrappingmommyof2girls
Idol
scrappingmommyof2girls
In response to PhotobearSam

Colorbox Queues would probably work great for you! The pads are sponge-like and super easy to ink with. They're small and really easy to handle. Plus, when you buy the Queues, you get 6 colors at a time, stacked together...

TLHarwick
Tenant
TLHarwick
In response to scrappingmommyof2girls

I love these Colorbox inks!

They are a great suggestion!

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap
In response to TLHarwick

I have Paintbox by Colorbox. It's pigment ink, though, not dye. I myself prefer pigment so that was a plus for me, not sure what your preference is, though. It's got 12 colors in it and each one lifts out separately with a little handle on the bottom of each so it's easy to hold without getting your fingers inky. I got the Primary colors and I use it all the time, it's probably the most used ink pads I own. It's lasted a long time, too. I can't remember exactly how long I've had it, prob 3-4 yrs or so now, I think? I got it at Michael's, I think it's regularly around $11 or $14, but I used a 40% off coupon. And I think they have a few other color combinations, but I thought the primary set gave me a good overall selection. My only complaint is that the lid doesn't stay snapped on very well anymore so traveling with it became an issue, but then I figured out just to put a rubber band around it on both ends and it solved the problem! I also like the little Colorbox inks that look like the ones above, but they're chalk ink. They come several colors to set too.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to GaMtnScrap

Also, from Stampin' Up you can get 4 (I think)colour families of 'ink spots" to get a good collectiong of colours when starting out.

jenny2003
Idol
jenny2003
In response to Scrapbook Queen

I love powder puffs.

mgiov
mgiov 
Mayor
mgiov
  • mgiov on 11-07-10 09:41 AM
In response to jenny2003

I love the Colorbox inks, too, but the Cat's Eye pads fall apart on me fairly quickly because I use them for heavy distressing. Because of this, I tend to use the Tim Holtz distress inks, straight from the pad for stamping or with the applicator (with a foam pad) for distressing and coloring.

Having said that, exactly what kind of images do you want to see? The above inks are water-based and leave a soft, slightly blurred line. If you want a crisp, clear line, you may want to try a pigment ink like StazOn.

HTH.

sxs
sxs 
Veteran
sxs
  • sxs on 11-07-10 08:47 PM
In response to mgiov

I second the vote for the Powder Puff chalking inks. I have a whole set and I think I use them on almost every layout. They have skinny edges that are great for getting in between the petals of a die-cut flower, for instance.

whiteracoon
Expert
whiteracoon
In response to sxs

I love Colorbox! When the cat's eyes come in stacks they are VERY useful! If you don't use them everyday they are just perfect - small, handy, easy to store and easy to use. For beginner's inking of the edges that would be better that distress, I suppose.
For me Distress inks are a little bit too "messy" - they have heavier texture, though they give you more abilities to create backgrounds, special effects and such. But do you actually need that?

godschild94
Governor
godschild94
In response to whiteracoon

I would go with the Colorbox inks. I have had mine for over 5 years and they are still super-juicy. The size is perfect for distressing edges and unless you are using them like crazy, they hold up really well.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to godschild94

I have Colorbox chalk and pigment inks in the petal point sets. I got mine at Js. Same basic concept as the cats-eyes. I like that they come in color families - primary, pinks & teals, earth colors, etc. I have a few TH distress inks (plus lots of other single ink pads from various manufacturers), but I almost always reach for the petal points. I use the chalk ones a lot for inking edges because they have such a nice soft finish.

Lisa

lillygirl7
Guru
lillygirl7
In response to lstory

What is the difference between pigment inks and dye inks?

KellyFeldman
Resident
KellyFeldman
In response to lillygirl7

Didja know...that you can glue your catseye chalk ink back on? I use a little tombow and it works great.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne

I love the colorbox cateyes inkpads. The queues are 6 stacked on eachother and the cateyes are single inkpads. They come in loads of colors and they are so easy to use. They work on almost all stamps but for some reason, they dont work well on Tim Holtz clearstamps. I use them mostly for inking the edges and an occassional stamp here n there. For some reason I dont use stamps as much as I would like to, I have a bunch! I recently started on me second tin case of cateyes inkpads. I love the fact that you can just choose per color.

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean

• lillygirl7 Said:
What is the difference between pigment inks and dye inks?

Dye inks are generally water based and tend to soak into the paper after they're stamped. They may run a little if you add water to your paper or do some colouring, although it depends on the type of marker you use. (The Tim Holtz Distress Inks are specifically made to react to water which can make for some interesting artwork) Pigment inks are heavier and sort of "sit" on paper so the colour tends to appear more vibrant. They also take longer to dry than dye inks which means they're ideal for techniques like heat embossing. They're also more fade resistant than dye inks.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to traceyjean

I love the good ol' basic Cat's Eye, only I buy them separately so I have the colors I want. Love the soft look they give, especially Chestnut Roan. And I always store them upside down, so they retain their juiciness longer!

moonpuff
Guru
moonpuff
In response to meezerpleaser

I love the cats eye and colorbox ones for color.. but for basic black and brown, I actually prefer Staz-on. It is dry in like 20 seconds. That is great for me doing a layout. Patience is so not my strong suit

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to moonpuff

I also like the cat's eye inks and also store them upside down. They do fall apart eventually, but they're so inexpensive I don't mind replacing them. I keep them in the bottom of my CM personal trimmer so I always have them handy.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics