Username Post: Help start scrapping!!!        (Topic#1546643)
me4sunny
New Kid On the Block
me4sunny

So... I printed the photos I would like to turn into my first couple of pages, I looked on internet for layouts, consulted the colour wheel... and haven't actually created anything!

i feel a bit overwhelmed with all the beautiful layouts in books and on websites, paired wth quite tasteless examples of others... I want it to be perfect, I don't want not to like it when it's finished

There are so many ways to do things... So many pretty paper to choose from - I am afraid that it will have too much / too little pattern and variety of papers.. and what to do about all those beautiful letters, rub-ons, and stuff that I even don't know how to use

The short of it is - I keep buying books in a hope to find one picture that I can copy one-to-one but then, in the next moment, I don't want to copy I feel inspired to do "my thing" that I have in my head

So i created a mock up in word, with colors I would choose, with journaling and picture put all together - and I don't' like it ... it doesn't look pretty... it looks ok... and I wanted a masterpiece...

I've uploaded the layout into my gallery - please have a look - maybe you can help me?

What I don't like about it: not sure about colours, but what I really don't like is that it's so static and square (but - I don'thave many tools to do much more then cut some basic shapes and curvy borders)

what I like - my journaling bit, but I actually don't know how to implement it in the real live...

Edited by me4sunny on 11-09-10 01:35 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Freedom and Peace
New Kid On the Block
Freedom and Peace
In response to me4sunny

I took a look at your layout. Seriously, this is your first one??? I think you did an awesome job on it. I do not have a suggestion to change anything but wanted to say enjoy the process and don't try to be perfect.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to Freedom and Peace

That photo is darling!

My first suggestion is to go ahead and start fooling around with real paper and adhesive and whatnot - just be sure you start with pictures that you can print duplicates of if necessary.

It also took me forever to pull the trigger and actually do a layout; I bought books and lurked on here for ages. I'm pretty fond of my first few pages, just because they were my first ones. I still would do things differently now, but it's a process. You can't really learn it until you're doing it.

Lisa

New Kid On the Block
In response to lstory

If you're having trouble with a layout or looking for inspiration you should try photo shine. It inspires me on a regular basis.

New Kid On the Block
In response to me4sunny

First page, ever? Really? Wouldn't know by the finished product. Remember, no one and nothing is perfect, you decided to try this to have fun, right? So get in there and have fun. You'll figure what works for you over time, and if they don't all turn out stellar (in your own eyes) they'll be OK too. I've had my kids comment on pages I hated, and they love 'em. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to MLVande

i think your LO is fine. if you need to add something, maybe in the corners? i dont know.

it might be easier to start using paper. you can shuffle things around before you cut or adhere anything. if you get the dotto runner or other removable adhesive, nothing is permanent until you decide it is.dotto
Products Referenced in This Post:

me4sunny
New Kid On the Block
me4sunny
In response to Lamoo12

gosh!
thank you all for so much positive feedback - it did prompt some reflection about perfectionism and as MLVande said - it's actually about fun:-)

I will have a look around for the removable glue (will see what is on offer in UK)
Will start my scrapping this weekend and will scan in my creation to update you all (if you are interested) what I then ended up creating:-)

In my mind this picture is off-white, daises, beige, moss green and orange for an accent embellishment... that would represent what I FEEL (rather what goes best with photo background)

so - now I am intrigued myself what I will end up going for:-)))

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to me4sunny

Try to release yourself from creating a masterpiece, it's too much to ask for. Just think how silly it would be for a person who had never painted anything to gather up supplies and ideas and then never ever practice or paint anything because she didn't want to make anything less than a masterpiece.

IMO, papercrafting is like any other creative work. You can't be perfect right out of the gate. You also can't get better if you never start

If you're not feeling something is working, put it away for a while and try working on something else - or take a break all together. Trying to force it will make you frustrated.

And remember even the most seasoned scrappers can't imagine something and create it perfectly. Often, as I work, I find ways to tweak it. Or, I make a mistake and find a creative way to cover it up

Like a previous poster said, HAVE FUN

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to Here Kitty

• Here Kitty Said:
Try to release yourself from creating a masterpiece, it's too much to ask for. Just think how silly it would be for a person who had never painted anything to gather up supplies and ideas and then never ever practice or paint anything because she didn't want to make anything less than a masterpiece.

IMO, papercrafting is like any other creative work. You can't be perfect right out of the gate. You also can't get better if you never start

If you're not feeling something is working, put it away for a while and try working on something else - or take a break all together. Trying to force it will make you frustrated.

And remember even the most seasoned scrappers can't imagine something and create it perfectly. Often, as I work, I find ways to tweak it. Or, I make a mistake and find a creative way to cover it up

Like a previous poster said, HAVE FUN

What Amy just said! Don't try to create such a masterpiece that you miss all the fun! And some of the pages that I did early on that I thought were so great are now just...meh. I think about what I could have done differently to make the page better. But I keep them because it shows my creative evolution and I like seeing how much I've changed and progressed in my techniques!

New Kid On the Block
In response to me4sunny

I have an online friend who lives in Churtsey in the UK. She is a member of the scrapbook club I'm in. We get monthly kits to make layouts with all the instructions available in the box. That is how I learned.

me4sunny
New Kid On the Block
me4sunny
In response to flojoseff

encouraged by your support and feeling a bit responsible for not letting you down I made my way to a craft shop to buy my first stack of paper and all the other stuff I might need...

I've uploaded my first real scrapbook page into my gallery here:-) As you will see it's no where near the original layout I've prepared!

what is the most important/interesting thing I learned today?
Firstly - I would prefer smaller pages (not 12x12) secondly - I need corner rounders (or how ever they are called); a selection of pens in different thickness and I need to do somthing about stamps or any other way to bring different fonts onto my pages

Edited by me4sunny on 11-12-10 01:50 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cdynan
cdynan 
Resident
cdynan
In response to me4sunny

Look at page maps to get layout ideas.

Look for "Un du" an adhesive remover that works on paper and doesn't leave any marks.

Edited by cdynan on 11-13-10 06:39 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics