Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: I'm buying stuff. Questions.        (Topic#1546665)
bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie

Yup. So. Be jealous. I'm buying a bunch of SB stuff. My friend sells Close to my Heart. I have a couple questions about things though, whether they're worth it to get.

Chalk... Like when you stamp with versamark and then rub chalk on it. Do you really need specialty scrapbooking chalk or is regular fine? Seems expensive, 10 bucks for 9 teeny colours. I have chalk sitting in my cupboard... lol.

Double scrubbers. You rub your stamps on it to clean them. Can you just use water? Does teh scrubber need to be rinsed after each use? Is it worth it or could you just use a cloth. (I normally rinse mine at the sink but it's a pain waiting for them to dry. This seems quicker.)

Blending pens. Looks like a painbrush. I think you just touch it to the ink pad and then colour in you stamped image. ... Would a regular paint brush work or are these special somehow?

If you can only answer a few of the questions, that's fine. Anything helps. Thanks!

Oh and if you have suggestions of things to get from CTMH that you love, suggest away!

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to bcblondie

I don't spend the money on scrapping scrubbers for my stamps. You can go to Home Depot, Lowe's hardware store and get the flat things that look just like them. They are made to do onto a handle to paint with. The are so much less expense. I don't mind throwing those away after a while but they do last as long as those overpriced scrubbers. Just because they are specfic to stamping way to much $$

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to creater1

Ohh I think I've seen those. I think I've even used one... are they for painting along edges?

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to bcblondie

Ok so I got the bright idea just to try out a regular paint brush. Make it wet. Touch it to the ink. It works just like watercolour. I'm impressed.

I just freed up like 17 bucks to spend on something else. lol.

Now I'm just wondering about the chalk thing. Anyone know? Will regular chalk be bad for paper?

Eta. I tried the chalk and it works awesome... still dunno if it's safe for paper though. And what can I use to erase the excess around the stamp?

Edited by bcblondie on 11-09-10 09:32 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to bcblondie

repeat after me,,,,,

pp, bling, flowers,,,,

pp, bling, flowers,,,,,

pp, bling, flowers

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to CommaHolly

what Holly? no ribbon?

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to madmatter

CTMH also sells a chalk eraser to get those edges clean.

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to johnsusan8

I have to say I am CHEAP but I love my scrubber from ctmh.

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic
In response to Brandilynn

I'm with Brandilynn...I'm cheap as well but I couldn't bear stamping without my special scrubber!

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to Scrapsaholic

Oh you guys!! But I already found another stamp I want instead! lol. grrr.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to bcblondie

Just use baby wipes on your stamps that's what I do....and you do need scrapbooking chalk as far as I know but to be honest I never use the chalk it sits in my drawer. I would go after bling, stickles, glitter mist and things like that instead.

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to Sneezy1956

I actually use cloth diapers and wipes so I don't have baby wipes in the house, ever. Can you use regular cloths? Or does it not clean in the crevices as well? I guess a baby wipe would have the same problem.

That's another question I have. Stickles. I have regular glitter glue and i heard that was fine as long as it doesn't touch the actual photos. Is that true? Ive done it a few times.

Inkiepinkies
Expert
Inkiepinkies
In response to bcblondie

All right! I know some of these answers, based on my early days experience.

Chalk can be used in so many different ways I suggest you get the largest chalk palette possible. You will use them a lot! Here are a couple of ideas for using chalk:

Apply to edges of paper piecing work to add detail and dimension. Just rub with bit deeper color on all outside edges and anywhere on the piece that would need an accent or fold.

Fill a pan (I used 9" X 13" casserole dish) with water. Gently rub the chalk block with an applicator so that the chalk dust falls on the surface. Gently make small swirls with a lg. needle. Gently, lay cardstock down on the surface of the water. Pull it straight out, and allow to dry. Your results will look like hand marbled paper--Very Nice

Another option that will give you a ton of colors is a set of chalk pastels (NOT OIL PASTELS) Keep them in their box and lightly sand the surface of the individual color then run your applicator across the pastel. You can get huge sets--some with 12-72 colors--I suggest the biggest size you can afford.

The stamp scrubber? Head to Lowe's or Home Depot and get paint pad it is flat and has a whiskery texture on a foam base. Painters use these to block in paint around windows and doors. They are way cheap, are made of the same materials, and work perfectly good. I put mine in a shallow Tupperware. I mist Simple Green or Big Orange on half the surface and tamp the stamp on the side with liquid and then drag it across so the dry side pulls off the excess moisture. When I am finished I run the entire pad under water and press out the entire thing. For more permanent inks I use a nail brush and give it a good scrubbing, then leave it to dry until next time.

I use a Tombow blender pen to add moisture to a stamped image to give me a "watercolor" effect. I use my colored pencils to fill in a stamped image, then go back over the piece with the blending pen to add shadows and highlights. Actually I think you could actually use eye shadow applicators (Target-10-12 for a bitty amount of money)

I have been a rubber stamper for almost thirty years (Yikes!) I'm either proud to say or embarrassed to say that I own over 10,000 stamps so I have pretty much worked out the methods that
work best for me. I hope these ideas are helpful.

Nancy

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to Inkiepinkies

Very helpful Nancy! Thank you. I love that tip about chalk dust on water to make a marble effect.

But sounds like you're saying I should stick with real scrapbooking chalk and not cheap chalks, yes?

Definately not going to waste 12.50 on the double scrubber. Home depot, here I come.

I'm jealous of your 10 000 stamps. I have like... 12 sets from CTMH and that's about it. But I'm about to buy like 6 more sets.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to bcblondie

Scrapbooking chalk is pigmented so the color is more vibrant and fade resistant.

I use these all the time.
Decorating Chalks - 24 Color
Pebbles I kan'dee Chalks - Shimmer

I bought mine at the local Ms or HL with a 40% off coupon. And, like the other ladies suggested, there are plenty of budget friendly methods for getting your stamps clean. I got my plain jane scrubber from HL and the cleaner as well. Not expensive but a coupon doesn't hurt.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
what Holly? no ribbon?

well, if it were meeeeeeeeeeeee,,,,,,

Stephanie D
Guru
Stephanie D
In response to CommaHolly

i got some basic pastel chalks at M's and they work great. I payed 4.99 for 35 colors. I will be getting some oil pastles in a few week for the same prices. yes a fine paint brush can work and i love my scrubby . Its a green scrubby for the kitchen. Works like a charm

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to Stephanie D

I agree with using the paint pad for cleaning stamps. Works wonderful. I use a baby wipe once in awhile, but only on acrylic stamps. I have been told that if you use them too much, they can eat away at the stamp material. I would just get the paint pad and rinse with water once in awhile.

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to Babylou

I don't really think it matters about what kind of surface you use for cleaning your stamps, but the cleaner is different, especially for those stamps that cost an arm and a leg! Water is fine, but baby wipes or other abrasive cleaners can break down the rubber and it will crack over time. I use Stampin' Up cleaner, it cost a lot, but I know it's safe & a bottle last a long long time!

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to Karen3066

I am a jr consultant and if it were me I would get the pastels else where and stock up on inks. I love our inks and have 32 along with the markers and reinkers (these are so great). I love the stamps and inks CTMH has. I also like the double scrubber and make my own cleaner.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics