Username Post: Snow ideas        (Topic#1546679)
whiteracoon
Expert
whiteracoon

Hi! Holidays are coming, and I bet many of you are making Christmas, winter and snow related projects.
I gathered some ideas you can use to imitate snow/snowflakes/snowball/ ice on your cards and LOs.
If you have something to add - feel free, I'll be happy to hear your suggestions or see your examples =)

* pompoms
* styrofoam
* liquid applique (puffy gel and alike)
* gems, rhinestones, pearls, crystals, bling etc
* microbeads
* vellum, tissue, mulberry paper (esp. when torn!)
* bubble wrap technique
* fur (artificial or not)
* felt
* foil (use it for punching, tearing, piecing or even quilling - http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/541345/view /2994995/...
* glitter
* embossing (esp. hot wet embossing)
* cotton
* flower soft
* clear glue (I have a tiny tutorial of making glue-snowflakes: http://blog.whiteracoon.ru/2010/03/dry-embossing- tutori...
Clear-when-dry glue is also pretty cool for creating icicles on roofs etc; esp. when you're using it on 3d objects where icicles can "hang" and not be just painted with glue on the surface)

And don't forget about snowflake-shaped buttons, sequins, brads, eyelets, charms etc.

So, your suggestions?

cshortel
Guru
cshortel
In response to whiteracoon

So far I've just used my punch to punch them out and stickled them.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

*Flocking is fun to use for snow or fuzzy parts of Santa's coat, etc.
*Stamping with clear or white embossing powder and inking around it with blue ink ( or chalks ) creates a nice frosty look.
*machine embossing swirls or snow flakes into white paper. You can heat emboss, ink, chalk or glitter over the embossing
*Mica flakes
*"snow" covered branches or other sparkly holiday decor items like on these cards: Joy By Here Kitty
Merry Christmas By Here Kitty

*stamping
Merry Merry Merry By Here Kitty
I love doing snow and frosty stuff on cards!

Edited by Here Kitty on 11-10-10 07:48 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Baby2Thousnd
Mayor
Baby2Thousnd
In response to Here Kitty

Hi. I like using the dryer sheet technique to make it look like it's snowing. It's also great to use to add sparkle to your entire image.
I posted a video on my blog: www.memorylanecrafts.blogspot.com
Feel free to check it out and let me know what you think. Here are two cards that I made using this technique:
Heartfelt Christmas By Baby2Thousnd

Gift card By Baby2Thousnd

whiteracoon
Expert
whiteracoon
In response to Baby2Thousnd

cshortel, Here Kitty, Baby2Thousnd, thank you sharing the ideas!
Let them flow in, let's make more snow! =)

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach

I use Snow Accents (found it at ACMoore):

Snow Day By CMLeach

Baby2Thousnd
Mayor
Baby2Thousnd
In response to CMLeach

very cute!

Inkiepinkies
Expert
Inkiepinkies
In response to Baby2Thousnd

A fun thing to do with the liquid embroidery is to add a thin amount of liquid, heat it to make it puff, and immediately touch the "stuff" to a very coarse glitter. I like to use the iridescent glitter or mini stars glitter.

Nancy

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to Inkiepinkies

TFS

Tenant
In response to prittb

You can use white acrylic paint and using the back of the paint brush put dots of paint on your project - creates a nice soft snowfall ^^

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to south1001

I just made homemade "Petal Soft"...If you leave it untinted, it would be nice, sparkly, fluffy snow.
Just rub together styrofoam balls you get at dollar store or M's or J's. It simply snows all over your paper. I drew with "The Best Glue Ever" and it sticks great!

PS If you want to tint it, just add a few drops of ink and mix it around to coat (I used alcohol ink and it dries fast!).

Click on image to see close-up details...

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics