Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: What do you use to make your titles?        (Topic#1546793)
twoboysforme
Idol
twoboysforme

Hi all. My biggest bugaboo is HOW to make my titles. I usually cut out letters on my cricket and layer it for a dimensional look, BUT, I feel it looks the same over and over!

Do you all use:
Chipboard?
Gypsy?
Cricket?
Draw by hand (I hate my handwriting)?
Rub ons?
Printer?

And I would love to know the DETAILS of exactly how you do it (eg. If you use your printer, do you print out and trace over pp or chipboard and cut out with sizzors or craft knife?) all responses greatly appreciated! Stephanie (mom of two boys :-)

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to twoboysforme

All of the above!! Also, stickers, pre-printed titles (like MME), chalk, masking, paint, colour in printed title with chalk, crayons, paint, pens, glimmer mist, ink, ect. Try searching the gallery under "titles" for some visuals!

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to Scrapbook Queen

These days I mostly use Thickers. And the teeny alphas. So I buy them ... but it's easier that way!

Angelica
Queen
Angelica
In response to peenut_23

On almost all my pages I used the Memory Makers Tiny Ledgers. I love them because they're small and you get lots of letters per pack. I usually don't have enough room on my pages to have big titles..lol!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Angelica
Queen
Angelica
In response to Angelica

Oh and Basic Grey letter stickers.
Products Referenced in This Post:

twoboysforme
Idol
twoboysforme

• Scrapbook Queen Said:
All of the above!! Also, stickers, pre-printed titles (like MME), chalk, masking, paint, colour in printed title with chalk, crayons, paint, pens, glimmer mist, ink, ect. Try searching the gallery under "titles" for some visuals!

Thanks for the ideas! I browsed the videos here on SB.com and tips and techniques sections but found very little. Do you mind if I ask for some details? For instance, with chalk do you use stencils? What is MME? When you print your own out, what do you do, trace onto pp or print directly on pp or vellum? Thanks!

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps

Stephanie - I'm guessing MME is the brand "my mind's eye".

I cut letters on my cricut, and also use thickers (foam, chipboard, felt, etc). those are my two primary sources of titles. occasionally I use stamps, usually clear ones, or paint with foam stamps (very rarely these days).

I'm also bored with my own title designs these days. but I think I can improve it by mixing up the styles/types of letters I use in any given title, and playing around with title placement.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-11-10 06:51 PM

Mostly I use one of the hundred of fonts that I've downloaded, and tweak it in Photoshop with a layer style or photo effect or some combination. Then I'll print it on vellum or my new fave paper (Cryogen White), trim and adhere.

twoboysforme
Idol
twoboysforme
In response to peenut_23

• peenut_23 Said:
These days I mostly use Thickers. And the teeny alphas. So I buy them ... but it's easier that way!

Thanks Jill. Can you paint the thickers? Or do you just buy them in the color you need? Appreciate it!

twoboysforme
Idol
twoboysforme
In response to stick

• kuzatab Said:
Mostly I use one of the hundred of fonts that I've downloaded, and tweak it in Photoshop with a layer style or photo effect or some combination. Then I'll print it on vellum or my new fave paper (Cryogen White), trim and adhere.

Cool! Do you print with a color printer or color them later with something? Thanks!

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan

I use Thickers all the time

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to stick

• kuzatab Said:

Yep, I use the printer in all kinds of ways, print onto plain paper and trace onto pp, or print directly on the pp, cs or vellum or photo paper. Maybe in colour or in black and white if I want to add my own colour. I might cut each letter out or leave them on a square background or cut out in a circle or other shape. You can use WordArt if you don't have Photoshop to get some neat effects.

The chalk can be used with stencils, masks, just to colour in witha Q-tip or cotton ball...so many different ways.

I think the point is that there is no ONE way to do titles. Experiment, try a buch of different ways. I rarey do the same title on each page. It totally depends on the photos, how much room I have, what the style of the page is, ect. Also, title do not always hav eto be at the top of the page in a striaght line, sometimes just changing the position or orientation or shape of the title is a good way to spice it up!

Also check out this website: http://www.wordle.net/
You can make cool word clouds for titles.

I hope that helps.

Check out my gallery for different title ideas!

Edited by Scrapbook Queen on 11-12-10 07:11 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MommyMarci
Queen
MommyMarci

I'm an alpha junkie, lol. My faves are Thickers and the small ledger alphas, like others have mentioned...but I am always on the lookout for a good deal on alphas and snap them up when I find one. (I never buy the Thickers at full price anymore, except the real basic ones that are "only" $3!)

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean

I've used chipboard letters, rub-ons, and stickers. Occasionally I'll stamp letters and cut them out or just cut a cardstock strip and stamp directly on it. Mostly I use my Pazzles Inspiration since it gives me access to every true type font on my computer.

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to traceyjean

I use thickers, stickers, chipboard, I like to use the foam letters for kids things and fun projects. I use about anything that I can get my hands on.

YesterdaysEcho
Idol
YesterdaysEcho
In response to kajunkat

I'm still working on getting a die cut machine, sadly. Most of the time I use stickers or alpha die cuts that come with papers. I also use stamps either directly on the LO or on a separate sheet. Sometimes I just use ink & sometimes I emboss it or glitter it. Love my alphas though!!!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-12-10 07:26 PM

• twoboysforme Said:
  • kuzatab Said:

Cool! Do you print with a color printer or color them later with something? Thanks!

I usually just print with a color printer - you can get great effects depending on what you print it on: vellum, or a sparkly cardstock. I'm really getting into Copic markers so I may try an outlined title soon and color it in.

And as Scrapbook Queen points out, you don't need photoshop, Word and other programs have word art possibilities as well.

I do have a die-cut machine, a Gazelle, so I can cut anything I want, but I find I usually like the complexity of a photoshop-treated title more than one cut from cardstock - it's just my current style.

There is one title I'm particularly proud of. I created it in photoshop, welding all the letters together, printed it and used it as a pattern to cut my title out by hand - it's a vacation LO so I cut the title from a roadmap of where we went and I was very careful to place the cutting so the pertinent cities and landmarks would be included in the title after it was cut out. This HAD TO be done by hand, so as much as I'm a huge fan of technology, sometimes the old-fashioned way is best. It's at the beginning of my gallery if you're interested, the Arkansas LO.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-12-10 07:47 PM
In response to stick

And btw Stephanie - Happy Birthday!

irisheyes3
Resident
irisheyes3
In response to stick

I use a lot of chipboard letters-I have many different fonts and I cover them in coordinating paper sometime to go with my layouts. I also like Thickers too-they come in so many fun colors and fonts.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 11-14-10 08:28 PM

Sometimes I use chipboard, or I use my cuttlebug with patterned paper or bazzill.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics