Username Post: Stitching        (Topic#1547035)
CreativeDaisyDesigns
Resident
CreativeDaisyDesigns

I see so many people use stitching on their cards and layouts. I am curious as to how you do it and what technique you use to do it? Thanks

Lindy_Pop
Veteran
Lindy_Pop
In response to CreativeDaisyDesigns

I use my sewing machine to do my stitching. Since I'm still new to sewing I always test on a scratch piece of paper first so I can make sure I have the settings I want for that particular card. I will sometimes build my card on one layer and stitch other papers to that one card then once I'm done I'll glue it to my actual base card, that way it will hide the underside of stitches. If I don't do that then I'll line the card so you wont see the underside of the stitches.

I'm not sure what else you mean by technique though, could you clarify that please or did I answer your question?

lstory 
Mayor
In response to Lindy_Pop

I've only done hand stitching so far, and mostly (or maybe only) on layouts. I'll trace a design onto the paper and then use a paper piercer to make holes, or just do it with the needle as I go along. I've also used the Bazzill In Stitchez (sp?) templates.

Lisa

YesterdaysEcho
Idol
YesterdaysEcho
In response to lstory

I use my sewing machine. Before I had that, I would just use a pen to make it look like stitching. There's never a card or a LO I want to spend enough time on to hand stitch it.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to YesterdaysEcho

Brittany, have you seen any of Nancola's work? She makes it look so awesome you might just want to try it.

Check out the clouds and grass here:

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/218773/view /2824973/...

and the stitched flourish and flower here:

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/218773/view /2820163/...

Lisa

YesterdaysEcho
Idol
YesterdaysEcho
In response to lstory

Gorgeous pages. I just don't really have the patience to hand pierce & then sew. Have you seen that new tool? It pierces & has different wheels that pierce your paper in different patterns. It looks a lot like a rotary cutter. Looked really neat & was wondering if anyone had used one. That might be something I'd use- sooo much faster. I just can't remember the name right now.

YesterdaysEcho
Idol
YesterdaysEcho

Ah! This! Has anyone used this? I like the price on it & the extra wheels aren't bad either.

lstory 
Mayor

Ah, the Sew Easy! Yep, it's been on my wishlist for a while now. We'll see if Santa brings it this year...

Lisa

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to lstory

I read a review on the Sew Easy stuff... it wasn't very good according to the reviews.

they don't really "pierce" the paper just make "indents" on it

lstory 
Mayor
In response to Ohio4HMom

Oh, shoot! What's the point then if I still have to go along and pierce the paper myself?

Lisa

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to lstory

I use my super cool sewing machine on my LO's. I have needles that are too dull for fabric so I color the shank on them and use them for paper. Don't use fabric needles on paper because it dulls them REALLY fast. Oh, and sew slowly so you can control it. You might also want to lower the feed dogs so you can free form.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics