Username Post: Eyelet setter        (Topic#1547089)
whiteracoon
Expert
whiteracoon

I was thinking about buying one. Heard very good feedback on a crop-a-dile, BUT I almost always need to set an eyelet in the middle of the layout, not near the edge. I guess crop-a-dile can't do that, can't reach that far?
Is there any neat and nice solution? What have you tried to solve the problem (if you had one)?

Scrap Happy 2006
Mayor
Scrap Happy 2006
In response to whiteracoon

Crop-a-dile big bite does it!!! I love mine!
I did all these eyelets super fast with it.
Tootlebug By Scrap Happy 2006
tootlebug left pg By Scrap Happy 2006
tootlebug right pg By Scrap Happy 2006
Products Referenced in This Post:

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to Scrap Happy 2006

Is there a trick to setting eyelets with the Big Bite? I feel like it's such a pain to get it in there are all lined up with the paper. Any tips? I've only used mine a couple times because of frustration.

scrapinsmiles
Expert
scrapinsmiles
In response to Smashley

I use the Crop-a-Dile Big Bite as well. I take a ruler and measure exactly where I want to place the eyelet, and place a pencil mark on the spot.

I've also heard great things about the eyelet setter that CTMH came out with recently. I believe it works like the Silent Setter.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to scrapinsmiles

I have a Crop-A-Dile and a Big Bite and most of the time go back to either my Memory Makers or Fiskars setters. My Big Bite often bends the eyelets.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to scrap4brains

I do really like my Crop-a-Dile, but it only works for eyelets near the edge of the page. If I had the chance to get a good price on it, I would spring for the Big Bite next time.

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to hotroding scrapbooker

I also have the big bite and don't use it for eyelet setting. I find it seems upside-down. It's an awesome hole punch but I would NEVER have paid that kind of money for a hole punch! I also bought the springy thingy but don't think I have control of it and it doesn't punch or set well for me.

If I'm setting eyelets, I've gone back to the hammer and punch.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to scraperfect

i liked the old spring loaded ones by fiskars. A little loud but super easy to use. Just remember to set them 'upside down' It took me awhile to figure out that I had to do it on the cylinder part vs. the flat top

Edited by Just G on 11-17-10 09:22 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 11-17-10 09:45 AM
In response to Just G

I have the old hammer and punch set from CTMH. It works well for me especially since I do not use a whole lot of eyelets.

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to Just G

I find the Big Bite a little hard to use. But I do like it alot especially bc I got it for cheap at Walmart when it went on clearance.

whiteracoon
Expert
whiteracoon
In response to kajunkat

Thank you for clearing things to me, ladies! I have some food for thought now.
Any other suggestions are still welcome =)

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap
In response to whiteracoon

I love my Provocraft Silent Setter.

Edited by GaMtnScrap on 11-17-10 12:10 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to GaMtnScrap

I have the original crop-o-dile and the Big Bite. The original is way easier to use and I use it much more often. The Big Bite does have a learning curve, but once you get used to it, works great.

I don't use the Big Bite as often because it's a little unwieldy and I don't need to set eyelets that far into the page too often, but I do think it's worth the money to have both. With coupons, they are very reasonable.

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie
In response to madmatter

I, too, bought my Big Bite on clearnace ($10) at WM. I love it!

ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing
In response to lisymarie

Like others, I bought my Big Bite on clearance at Walmart. I did not like it for setting until I read the best tip...don't press too hard!! Now that I know not to press too hard, it works well.

Plus a person can't beat how nicely it reaches the middle of the page for eyelet setting, or punches.

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to ktmracing

I too like the silent setter...for many reasons. You can set an eyelet anywhere. You can scrap in the middle of the night and it truly is silent and it's cheap.

Legomom
Expert
Legomom
In response to Penny Lane

I have the silent setter and the CAD. I rarely put an eyelet in the middle of the page, so the CAD has worked for me.
However, I think I'm Silent Setter deficient. I just can't seem to get it to work all the time. Maybe I need to find a Youtube video to get a refresher course on using it.
I have borrowed my gf's BigBite and really like it, but it is a bit unwieldy and I've had 'bent' paper and/or creases where it's toppled over after I pressed the lever thingy. But it was effective for what I was using it for.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Legomom

I use the good 'ole hammer and Making Memories setting tools. They're portable, easy to use, inexpensive, you can set eyelets anywhere on the page with ease.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Bxr-Linda

I have a little pink Scraparatus and I love it. Of course, I don't do thousands of eyelets either. It works with spring action, so no hammer required. Just pull up on the top knob and let it snap down. Oh yes, you "punch" the holes the same way. It comes with several sizes of hole punches and setters.

Edited by dwelch on 11-18-10 02:43 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Legomom
Expert
Legomom
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
I have a little pink Scraparatus and I love it. Of course, I don't do thousands of eyelets either. It works with spring action, so no hammer required. Just pull up on the top knob and let it snap down. Oh yes, you "punch" the holes the same way. It comes with several sizes of hole punches and setters.

I've seen that on Youtube. It looks clever, so it really works? It just looked 'too good and easy to be true', kwim? So you would recommend getting one? The price is really reasonable.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics