Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Brads        (Topic#1547393)
nnhgiang1979
Resident
nnhgiang1979

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner who just tried to read everything about scrapbooking. I have especially focused on the stuff needed for a freshmen like me. One of the things I dont know how to use is the brad and I dont know what it is used for on a scrapbooking card either. Can anyone of you here show me?

Thank you.

I am from a non-English speaking country, but understanding the language is not a big problem. The point is I have never seen anyone do scrb (or use the brad) in the place where I live.

Edited by nnhgiang1979 on 11-23-10 08:56 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to nnhgiang1979

hi!

brads are small metal paper piercing embellishments. you poke a small hole in the paper, push the pointy part through then bend the flaps back to hold it to the paper. (if you are looking at one this will make more sense)

they can be used for colorful embellishing like most of them on here:
Petting the bunny By Lamoo12

there is a red one holding the tag onto the paper too.

or, you can use them to hold vellum, ribbon, etc to the page without adhesive like this:
I dig (left) By Lamoo12

i buy them because they are a cheaper embellishment that goes with any type of LO.

hth!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Lamoo12

Brads come in all sorts of sizes and colors as well as types (glitter, foil, velvet, patterned, etc.). I use them as flower centers alot as well as for decoration or as "adhesive" for vellum or journaling boxes.

They are cheap and easy to use ... very convenient items to have around

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to madmatter

You can also buy the plain gold brads at a Dollar store and use nail polish to paint the brads any color you want.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to madmatter

I love using brads. I used them as a swirly decoration on this LO.

Frisky

I used them to make an initial in the upper right of this LO.

Lladro

I did three-brad embellished corners for the photo on this LO.

Privacy Please!

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss
In response to meezerpleaser

Brads are a great thing, and you can get lots of them for not much money. I have tons of brads in all different shapes and colours.
Jen

nnhgiang1979
Resident
nnhgiang1979
In response to JenKoss

Thank you all for your detailed answers, esp. with illustrations.

• Lamoo12 Said:
brads are small metal paper piercing embellishments. you poke a small hole in the paper, push the pointy part through then bend the flaps back to hold it to the paper. (if you are looking at one this will make more sense)

Yes, that makes sense. When I first saw their pics on scrb supplies websites, I just wondered how they were used. Now I know it.

I have one more question: Is there a tool to "poke a small hole in the paper"? Or is the other end of a brad pointed enough to do that?

Edited by nnhgiang1979 on 11-23-10 08:55 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MrsSugarBear
Guru
MrsSugarBear

Yes, there's a tool called a paper piercer.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by MrsSugarBear on 11-23-10 04:30 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

oldsusana
Tenant
oldsusana
In response to MrsSugarBear

I prefer to use a paper piercer but in a pinch, you can use a long, thick sewing needle or hat pin.

You can also use a tool called a cropadile to punch a hole anywhere on the page that you want to add a brad.
Products Referenced in This Post:

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 11-23-10 08:13 AM
In response to oldsusana

Just a small slit with a craft knife works fine too.

And welcome to this site and to scrapbooking... you have come to the right place to get help and ideas.

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to GMFTS

I also use a small slit with my craft knife, a push pin will work too.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to MissaOnTheRun

If the paper is thin, the brad is sharp enough to get thru it, but with cs or heavier paper, I use a paper piercing tool (a very very handy thing to have).

nnhgiang1979
Resident
nnhgiang1979
In response to madmatter

Thank you all so much!

I have learned a little more everday.

This afternoon I almost completed my first scrapbooked photo. I had to use some stuff available around my house. I couldn't wait till the the ordered specialized tools and stuff arrive.

Three cards of 3 colors, a pair of scissors, double-sided tape and a button from one of my old coats were used. I haven't put on any journaling.

What do you think? It looks simple, doesn't it?

Edited by nnhgiang1979 on 11-24-10 09:59 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat

Very cute LO....I love using brads they are so versitale...I usually just use a thumb tack to punch my hole unless it is a large brad. Have fun.

nnhgiang1979
Resident
nnhgiang1979
In response to kajunkat

Neat when I get your replies in a very timely manner. I am still waiting for the stuff to arrive. Cant wait!

A question (off-topic, should I open a new one?): Usually, what size is a photo for a 12*12 cardstock? Do you have to think of a layout and sizes of different photos on it before you do the scrb?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

People use every size imaginable and often several different sizes on the same LO! So whatever looks good to you!

nnhgiang1979
Resident
nnhgiang1979
In response to CommaHolly

Thank you!

As a newbie, I really like it when seeing the layouts including the measurements of the photos. I think I should first work with such layouts, right?

Lucyara3
New Kid On the Block
Lucyara3
In response to debby_westbrook

the nail polish will not later come off the brads?

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to Lucyara3

I have my nail polished brads in a jar where they are knocked against each other every day, So far the nail polish has not come off or even chipped.

Sue 67646
Idol
Sue 67646
In response to debby_westbrook

I have also painted them...spray painted them.glitter glued them and changed their color with a permanent mark ( make sure you let all dry real good before using them....you can also color clear skittles this way,,,alchol ink works great for coloring them also....lol)

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics