Username Post: Color Box Chalk vs Holz's Distress Ink        (Topic#1547661)
bbarthej
Expert
bbarthej

What are you thoughts on which is the better choice?
I thought I liked Color Box best until I I came across a real dry one and the ink pad fell off because I was rubbing so hard... trying to get the most of the color.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to bbarthej

I love both brands for various reasons! But if I had to choose one-hands down the TH distressed inks.

The distress inks are so much fun for distressing and blending-plus you can use the same blending pad for multiple inks and the color wont transfer between the various pads. So I just have one foam pad for each color group instead of one per ink color. There is so much you can do with the distress inks, I've recently been using the adirondack paint dabbers to stamp, and using the inks on top of the paint. The paint resists the ink and you get this great look. I used it on the background of this page.

Looking Forward By MrsAnnieS

The colorbox I use if I'm actually stamping or need color for the more detailed edges of flowers.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to MrsAnnieS

I have not used the chalks but I LOVE TH Distress Inks. But keep in mind they are a specific kind of product-for a certain kind of look, not for everyone!

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Scrapbook Queen

I have both. I use them for different purposes. Tims i use just for distressing but colorbox i use for the stamping and inking and making my own PP

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to Just G

Yep. You need both! hahaha!

Tenant
In response to runzalot81

I've also never used the colorbox but I love distress inks.

From what I've seen though the colorbox seem to give a nicer image when using with acrylic stamps, I hate the look the distress inks give when used with acrylic stamps (the distress inks work nicely with rubber stamps though in my opinion).

StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia
In response to south1001

I started with colorbox chalks and had the same problem as you, they broke after using them too much. I now use distress inks with yellow sponges (those you have in the kitchen) that I cut in pieces and have one sponge pice per distress pad. They work perfect!!And a sponge is not so expansive!

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to StrawberryPia

I had the same problem with 3 colorbox. I put glue on them and it seems to hold them in so far. It was pretty aggrevating when they fell out (messy).

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to prittb

I love love LOVE chalk inks,,,,,,,I love the way they distress, they are more matte, and they go on much more smoothly,,,,,

However, the pad tends to break up easier, and it DOES fall off if you distress a lot (super glue is your friend!!)

I find they are used up much faster, HOWEVER, they are smaller, so that makes sense,,,,

I wish I could find just BROWN though, because it's the only color in my stack I tend to use up and use out,,,,

But I can't stand TH distress inks,,,,the line is much sharper, not blended so well,,,

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to CommaHolly

If your Colorbox Fluid Chalk pad falls off the base, flip it over and adhere to the base with a little super glue or liquid glass or one of those clear glues. It works wonders and your pad will be like new again. I have seen some people use sponges with them to keep the pad nice and pristine. And they only cost about $1.99 so they aren't too expensive to replace if they do get totally beat up.

Edited by Jennifer Priest on 11-27-10 08:30 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bbarthej
Expert
bbarthej
In response to Just G

Good point... I see now that I have been using them hoping to achieve the same look. Wrong...
I'm going to try different techniques and see how that goes.
Thanks much!

ddaly60
Veteran
ddaly60
In response to bbarthej

I have been a total color box chalk ink addict for many years. But I watched a video of Tims showing how to use this distress inks. I think it is on his web site. He shows how you use an applicator ( Or sponge) and swirl it on kinda. I LOVE them now!!!

I still use both Different effects

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to ddaly60

I use both

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to DaisyButton

You can buy a reinker for your brown Holly.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to NMlady

I will have to search for some, NM, thanks!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics