Username Post: New to the Scrappin World! :)        (Topic#1547913)
TNgurl4eva
New Kid On the Block
TNgurl4eva

Hey guys! I'm Laura, & I'm new to the wonderful world of scrapbooking & card making! Both hobbies have caught my eye...I'm really enjoying both so far! I've been reading on these boards for a week or so now, & I decided I ought to join!

My problem right now is: I need to create a shopping list. I have a $500 budget for anything & everything I need for creating all of my crafts.
I've heard it's good to take it slow & not buy a bunch of suff at once, so that's probably how I'm going to do it - it just seems smart. Right now, I'm working on making a bunch of Christmas cards to send out to soldiers & family/friends.
So here come the questions...
1. What are the ESSENTIAL beginning products that YOU have found to be best? (brands too?)
2. What products should I prepare myself to purchase down the road?
3. What do you personally like to splurge on?
4. Lastly, any tips for a newbie?

Any & all answers are greatly appreciated! Thanks. & best wishes!

Edited by TNgurl4eva on 11-30-10 02:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to TNgurl4eva

I definitely agree with the advice to buy basics. You NEED a a good quality trimmer (I like Fiskars), some adhesive (get a variety to see what you like best- it's very subjective), some patterned paper (buy a collection so it's easy to coordinate and comes with alphabets and other embellishments), and some neutral cardstock.

It's hard to know what you'll want to purchase down the road, which is exactly why you shouldn't buy it now. Everyone's style is different, so you'll naturally be drawn to different items than others might be. I'd recommend going through the gallery and finding layouts and cards that you LOVE and seeing what papers, tools, etc. the artists used to create them. There's your wish list!

Good luck and welcome!
Cindy

brookeblogs
Veteran
brookeblogs
In response to cindy312

I'm new too, and the things I find myself using the most are my paper trimmer; adhesive; patterned paper; cardstock; markers; pens; stamps; ribbon; and brads. Welcome You'll find lots of help & inspiration here.

latina43
Expert
latina43
In response to brookeblogs

Definitly a trimmer,adhesive ( alot of it), scissors, ribbon, brads, crop-a dile( i have the big bite), lots of cardstock sometime they are 5 for 1 dollar,marker/pens, containers to store items. I have a cricut expression so I am always on the hunt for cartridges on sale.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to latina43

Welcome!! So excited fro you to start new. If I were to start all over again, I would buy these products to start off with:

Paper Trimmer by Fiskars
Tim Holtz Scissors by Tonic
ATG -- economical in the long run, sticks reall well.
PVA -- white glue that holds small things really well.
American Crafts This to That foam dots--this sampler pack is nice to try everything out (pictured below).
Glue Dots, Glue Lines -- the sampler pack pictured below is nice so you have a variety of stuff and can try things out. And it is on clearance.
Colorbox Chalk Cat's Eye inks--great for antiquing the edges of papers.

I'd go to some crops and see what other people are using before I'd buy anything else. Try things the store has and try things other people at the crop have. Most people will show you how to use something if you just ask. Figure out if you like punches or are a diecut person and then figure out what kinds of shapes you'd like most. Try before you buy whenever you can. Hope that helps!!!!!!!!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to Jennifer Priest

If I had a $500.00 dollar budget, One of the first things I would buy is a cricut!!! They are on sale and you would still have enough money left over for most of the other items mentioned above.

Edited by debby_westbrook on 12-01-10 05:20 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scrapinsmiles
Expert
scrapinsmiles
In response to debby_westbrook

Welcome! I agree with the items that have been listed above, and my recommendation would be to purchase the Basic Gray magnetic mat and something to store your paper in.

You can get a really great deal on Cricut's and Cuttlebug's right now, so you may want to think about buying one of those as well.

Have fun shopping!

TNgurl4eva
New Kid On the Block
TNgurl4eva
In response to scrapinsmiles

Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome & great suggestions everyone!
It helped a lot!

docella1977
Veteran
docella1977
In response to TNgurl4eva

Hey Laura...my name is Laura as well, so I we have one thing in common already! 2nd one is that I too am new to all of this, but you definitely have guts taking on 2 crafts on...how do you do it??? Do you have a gallery of pages and layouts already? See, I told you I have lots of questions. And with your $500 budget, you'll have tons of fun! But here's one tip b4 heading out...get your scissors and cut out coupons from Michaels, AcMoore, etc. You'll need em'. Get ALL the basics first...and trust me when I say that unless you watch what you're putting in your cart carefully, you'll use up all of your hard earned $$$ and then wonder where it all went. I hope I was some help. Oh yeah...try the unfinished furniture sections @ Michaels. You can buy shelves and tons of stuff and then decorate em' at your own pace and style. Talk you soon....Laura from Massachusetts :-)

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics