Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: ATG        (Topic#1548367)
dancingfingers
Tenant
dancingfingers

..what IS it? I keep seeing everyone post about how WONDERFUL it is...is it a tape or a liquid adhesive? And is it REALLY easy to use? I've been getting double sided tape (NOT the scrapbooking tape with the peel off paper on one side)and it's not even decided for scrapbooking. So I don't think it's acid free...somebody explain what's so wonderful about ATG? And while we're at it...SCAL? Is that the same thing/something else/what?

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to dancingfingers

The ATG gun is a tape adhesive that is super strong. There is an acid free tape and a general purpose tape that the gun can use. It is easy to use, but there is a little learning curve. It looks heavy, but it really is light. I fought tooth and nail not to LOVE it but I do! I wish I would have gotten one a lot sooner.

SCAL is short for Sure Cuts A Lot. It is a third party software that you can use to cut files from the computer in your cricut.
Products Referenced in This Post:

bbarthej
Expert
bbarthej
In response to HisGEM

I finally broke down and orderd the pink ATG yesterday. Found one on Ebay for $25 (incl shipping). I'm so sick and tired of paying $5 - $6 for an adhesive that doesn't last me longer than 2 weeks.
VERY excited about my purchase and can't wait for it to get here.

scrapinsmiles
Expert
scrapinsmiles
In response to bbarthej

I absolutely love my ATG as well. I don't have to replace the adhesive for weeks, and the refills are cheaper than the refills for the smaller tape runners.

Use a 40% off coupon at M's and you can purchase a pink ATG for about $20 and it comes with two refills. Seriously, you will absolutely LOVE it!

stephie
Idol
stephie
In response to scrapinsmiles

You will definitely love it. I've had mine for several years and I love not running out so quickly.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to stephie

I thought I couldn't possibly use something that big, but I bought the Pink one about two months ago using a coupon at Ms. It is so easy to use and I love it.

moonpuff
Guru
moonpuff
In response to dotfree

My ATG and I are celebrating 5 years together. I love him so much I actually bought a new one (or a partner, as my hubby calls it) cause I have dropped him so much that the cover does not stay on correctly anymore. I still will not give up the first one though. We have been through alot together

Yes, I love my ATG. I order the tape by the caseload, and Love it!

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to moonpuff

I am one of the very few who has problems every single time I use the ATG. It works for about five minutes and then it sticks, stops working and I have to unstick the tape, all the while screaming and cursing at the blasted gun! I thought at first I had a defective ATG but I returned it and got a second ATG and had the same problem.

moonpuff
Guru
moonpuff
In response to theellenbee

Sounds like a bad tape batch.
I know about 2 years ago, there was a major bad batch of tape that did exactly that.

Have you contacted 3M about it?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to moonpuff

I love love LOVE my ATG!!!!!! I wouldn't trade it for anything!!!! If you get one, watch the You-tube videos on how to load it,,,the directions on the thing SUCK, but the You-tube vids are so much more helpful!!!

scrapinsmiles
Expert
scrapinsmiles
In response to CommaHolly

I watched a couple of YouTube videos before loading my ATG for the first time and it really was helpful. I'm pretty good with directions, but the printed directions that are included in the box are absolutely horrible!

msdixie
Veteran
msdixie
In response to dancingfingers

trust us and get one. you will thank us.
i just started scrapping this summer. i started with a glue stick and a little "snail" tape runner/adhesive thingy but hubby got me the pink scotch atg for birthday - I LOVE IT. and i use it on everything... not just the big projects. if it's solid and bigger than 1"x1", I am pullin' out the "big gun".
i also use it on crafts that suggest/"require" that "terrifically tacky tape" and it holds up just fine. love it!! however - it is permanent, so if you like to move things around, use something else for those items. this thing HOLDS. and it's not cumbersome to use like you would think it would be. once you figure out how to thread it (agreed, watch the youtube videos - my hubby did it for me using the directions and it was all backwards ) and learn how to use it (how to use the trigger, hold it at the right angle) - it becomes a cinch.

Edited by msdixie on 12-08-10 08:10 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to msdixie

I got a pink one a few months ago, but haven't taken it our of the box yet (and once again, hanging head in shame ... I feel like I've been doing that alot lately )

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to madmatter

Sigh...I'm going to be the voice of dissent. I don't like the ATG at all. Perhaps I will change my mind one day, but after trying it several times, I am not thrilled. I think it's a pain in the butt. Not heavy, but way too cumbersome. I get my mono-adhesive refills pretty cheap (less than $2 each) and I'm happy with it, so I will just stick with that for now.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to siameseplease

• siameseplease Said:
Sigh...I'm going to be the voice of dissent. I don't like the ATG at all. Perhaps I will change my mind one day, but after trying it several times, I am not thrilled. I think it's a pain in the butt. Not heavy, but way too cumbersome. I get my mono-adhesive refills pretty cheap (less than $2 each) and I'm happy with it, so I will just stick with that for now.

I almost agree with this.
I've had my pink ATG a few months now, and have used 1/2 - 2/3 of a roll of adhesive.

I *like* it, but don't LOVE it. It IS pretty big.

However, the adhesive I previously was using had been giving me trouble (either not sticking, getting messed up in the dispenser, or constantly running out). I like the ATG, because I haven't had any of those issues. When it grab it, the adhesive works, EVERY TIME!

So, that being said, I like it a WHOLE LOT MORE than what I had been using.

Belia 
Tenant
  • Belia on 12-09-10 08:03 PM
In response to scrapinsmiles

I love my ATG. Next to my 12" paper trimmer, it is the best scrapbooking tool that I've ever bought.

Agree that you should watch a youtube video to learn how to load it. Also agree that it takes a couple of minutes to figure out the best way to apply the tape.

But after 5 minutes of futzing I was in LOVE!

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to theellenbee

• theellenb Said:
I am one of the very few who has problems every single time I use the ATG. It works for about five minutes and then it sticks, stops working and I have to unstick the tape, all the while screaming and cursing at the blasted gun! I thought at first I had a defective ATG but I returned it and got a second ATG and had the same problem.

Are you sure its loaded correctly?

timon
timon 
Veteran
timon
  • timon on 12-10-10 07:50 PM
In response to amandahugandkiss

love mine, i don't have to refill it as often as other adhesives.

Dedria Design
Resident
Dedria Design
In response to madmatter

Guilty of the same here! I haven't bought an ATG yet, but I had my cricut for two years before I pulled it out of the box, same with my big xyron....I vow never to do it again......Really.....

beccacrouch
Veteran
beccacrouch
In response to Dedria Design

I ordered my pink ATG the other day.... it will be here Tuesday! =]

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics