Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Time to invest in new markers.        (Topic#1549211)
Dedria Design
Resident
Dedria Design

I need your opinions and suggestions on investing in new acid free markers. My Zig Writers collection has served me well, (fat on one end, fine on the other) but after a good 10 years, they are starting to dry out and I am reluctantly throwing them away one at a time.
The Copic markers keep catching my attention, not sure if this is the way to go though.

Mix-on the Memories
Diva
Mix-on the Memories
In response to Dedria Design

Why not stick with the "Tried and True," the Zig pens and also get Copic. Use the Zig pens for writing and Copic for the artsy things.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Mix-on the Memories

Love copics and they are refillable which stops the problem of running out of ink

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to Sneezy1956

I have only heard great things about the pro markers (very comparable to copics) but a fraction of the price. I know several ladies whom have made the switch. I myself have not ventured into the land of markers so I am just taking word of mouth and passing it along.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Brandilynn

I have the set from stampin' up, they are great! I am also looking into the copics, everyone raves about them!

beccacrouch
Veteran
beccacrouch
In response to Scrapbook Queen

I've heard nothing but good things about the copics =]

caraboo
Expert
caraboo
In response to Scrapbook Queen

If you can handle the expense, then Copics are the way to go! I love them. There are lots of videos online so you can check them out! They are wonderful!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Dedria Design

It really depends on what you are using the markers for.

Copics are more alone the lines of a permanent ink marker like Sharpie MEANING they are; great to color metal and other non-porous materials, are for-the-most-part are permanent, BUT they do bleed through most papers. BUT...this "bleeding" ability IS what most people are looking for to blend colors into each other.

Copic are great for a lot of uses BUT they suck at coloring the edge of your photos (they bleed right into the emulsion) and suck for journaling (detail work) on most paper products. If you are looking to completely change the color of the paper product great but otherwise they usually bleed.

My advice would be buy a few Copics in the colors you use the most. But don't go nuts unless you are making cards and want to do some of the blending techniques.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Copic makes a variety of pens, I have only used the ones for coloring in images, they are not made for journaling.
The company seems to make quality products. They are a fine art company so maybe check out their other lines at a art supply store.

I surprised myself by buying the new color bic pens, at office depot. I got 36 pens for $15. They only come in fine tip.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Gelidy Gelato

• Gelidy Gelato Said:
It really depends on what you are using the markers for.

Copics are more alone the lines of a permanent ink marker like Sharpie MEANING they are; great to color metal and other non-porous materials, are for-the-most-part are permanent, BUT they do bleed through most papers. BUT...this "bleeding" ability IS what most people are looking for to blend colors into each other.

Copic are great for a lot of uses BUT they suck at coloring the edge of your photos (they bleed right into the emulsion) and suck for journaling (detail work) on most paper products. If you are looking to completely change the color of the paper product great but otherwise they usually bleed.

My advice would be buy a few Copics in the colors you use the most. But don't go nuts unless you are making cards and want to do some of the blending techniques.

Great advice. I was looking at them yesterday but I don't do alot of coloring and use them mostly for doodling/journaling. I'll stick with my zig and slick writers

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Just G

Yes copics aren't made for journaling they are made for coloring...images, drawing, that type of thing. You do need special paper to use them X-press, cryogen, neenah and several others come to mind. They don't really bleed the stay wet so that you can blend from one color to another they most resemble Tim Holtz's alchol inks and if you have used his inks with his pens then you can get about the same results.

scrapinsmiles
Expert
scrapinsmiles
In response to Sneezy1956

I use Stampin Up and Close to my Heart markers and I love them.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to scrapinsmiles

Does anyone know about the Tombo markers?? ...

the dual ones (fine on one side, brush on the other) are on clearance at Michael's for $13 for a pack of 10, but I don't know anything about them.

tia

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to madmatter

Love my Tombow. I believe they are similar to CTMH markers, which I also own. Water based so you can use them with water colour papers for blending...

stephie
Idol
stephie
In response to traceyjean

I think Tombow are great.
I love my Copic markers, but they are more for coloring than journaling.

KellyLeigh
Idol
KellyLeigh
In response to stephie

When I first started stamping I used Crayola markers for a LONG time. I loved them and recommend them to new stampers.

Later I upgraded to the Stampin' Up! Markers and some Zig Writers. The Stampin' Up! markers seemed very similar to the Crayolas. I still use the Zig writers and like them a lot.

Last year I upgraded from the Stampin' Up! markers to the Copics. I bought them from icopic.com. I got a papercrafting set of 36 for $150. I absolutely LOVE them. Even though I don't get to scrap often, I find myself playing with my markers frequently. I use them all over my scrapbook pages for coloring in stamped images, rub-ons, and doing my own doodling. I use them for cards too. My favorite thing about the Copics is that you can color on top of a patterned paper and still see the color of the marker.

I still use the Zig writers for journaling (mostly just black and brown).

Edited by KellyLeigh on 12-22-10 12:32 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

caraboo
Expert
caraboo
In response to KellyLeigh

Copics do have the mutliliner pens which come in 10 different sizes and 14 colors (per the website I was checking out). I have a few and they are great for journaling. They also have the the atyou Spica pens which are glitter pens. I use them for all sorts of things. Whatever kind you pick...have fun!!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to caraboo

thanx for the info ...

I picked up the dual tip Tombo markers in 3 different color sets on clearance at M's

Dedria Design
Resident
Dedria Design
In response to madmatter

Thank you for all the advice ladies. I may purchase a few Copic markers to try before investing in an entire collection. Love my Zig writers and Slick writers, disappointed the Galazy Markers dried out so quickly.

KellyLeigh
Idol
KellyLeigh
In response to caraboo

• caraboo Said:
Copics do have the mutliliner pens which come in 10 different sizes and 14 colors (per the website I was checking out). I have a few and they are great for journaling. They also have the the atyou Spica pens which are glitter pens. I use them for all sorts of things. Whatever kind you pick...have fun!!

ooooohhh I have not even seen these before

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics