Username Post: 13' Cutting Pads Warping...        (Topic#1549421)
Tenant

I recently bought the 13' cutting pads and extended platform (for the sizzix big shot) and even though I've only used the cutting pads 3 times they are terribly warped, I followed the instructions on the extended platform and I'm using only paper to cut the strip die with but even after the first cut my cutting pads are warped.

Is this normal or is there a special way to use the cutting pads? I don't know if I can take them back to the my LSS as they only have a very short exchange policy and no return policy =(

Edited by south1001 on 12-26-10 08:22 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to south1001

do you mean WARPED (wavy) or do you mean that they are showing signs of the cuts? (impressions on the pad themselves),,,

If you mean that the impressions of what you cut are cut into the pads, that's perfectly ok! It's normal! the minute you cut with a pad, those will show,,,

If you mean the pads are actually bent out of shape, then that is really odd,I'd try calling the manufacturer,,,that shouldn't happen for quite some time!

Edited by CommaHolly on 12-28-10 02:01 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tenant
In response to CommaHolly

I mean bent they curve up in the middle, I wonder if it's because they are so long and narrow?

Thanks though ^^

Edited by south1001 on 12-28-10 09:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

a-burton
Resident
a-burton
In response to south1001

Hi,

I have the long cutting pads too. I just cut 150 of the Tim Holtz tags for someone w/ my Cuttlebug and mine are fine.

I do get that warping a lot w/ my smaller cutting pads, but that's like around the 300-500 cut or high repetition of the same die.

When mine are cracked (cutting my fingers or ruing the die cut) or so warped I have to start using 411 tape, I know it's time to replace my cutting mats / pads.

May I ask what size dies you are using w/ your long cutting pads? I would recommend only using the long dies w/ the long pads; this will extend the life of your cutting pads.

Just because a smaller die will work, does not mean it's a good idea. It appears that using the smaller dies with the bigger pads would be more economical, but not so. I try to keep the die and pad at similar size (flipping & rotating often) to extend the life of my cutting pads & mats.

I have been die cutting over 5 years, I will be glad to help in anyway that I can ...

Cheers

PS - afterthought ... Not all dies are created equal, sometimes, the blades are too tall and sometimes too short, this could also affect your pad if they are too tall. Have you tried another die?

Tenant
In response to a-burton

^Thanks for your answer ^^ Nope I am only using the decrotive strip dies made the extended cutting pads (I'm too afraid to use the wrong die/wrong cutting pad combo XD) and I only have the one tim holtz decrotive strip dies so I haven't tried any other, I've heard that they do warp a little but I've only used my 3 times and I've tried swapping them and flipping them (hoping that it might decrease the warping a little) but that only made it worse (whoops). I understand how they can warp, so much pressure on such a small area, but I'm not sure if mine are warping alot more than normal as I've used them so little.

I might try another strip die later this month and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help ^^

Edited by south1001 on 01-03-11 10:55 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

a-burton
Resident
a-burton
In response to south1001

Hi again ...

I am sorry I got your machine confused earlier (w/ my CB - duh), same concept though, but I had a BigKick at one time, and it's basically the same as a Big Shot.

Are you using the narrow strip mats [ http://www.sizzix.com/product/185 ] or the extra wide long mats [ http://www.sizzix.com/product/903 ] for the Big Shot ???

The narrow ones will warp more in the BigKick/Big Shot rather than the wider ones. Are you making sure the sandwich is correct?

Were you struggling to get the die through the roller area? The strip dies are only for cardstock and paper, chipboard is too thick.

If you have the wider, longer cutting pads [ http://www.sizzix.com/product/903 ], the strip die can be laid on the pads at an angle / diagonal. This also keeps the cutting mats from warping as much and also gives you even pressure with the entire roller in the die machine, instead of using all the pressure on only part of the roller.

If none of this helps ... here is the link to customer service at Sizzix ... http://www.sizzix.com/contact; do it quickly and you may need to have the receipt handy from where ever you bought the cutting pads.

Don't give up on die cutting ...

Cheers

Tenant
In response to a-burton

Thanks again ^_^

I'm using the narrow cutting pads along with the extended platform (can't remember the name but it's the same length and width of the pads). I've followed the picture on the extended platform ( platform, cutting pad 1, die, paper, cutting pad 2) and I only use paper with the die (I'm terrified of breaking my machine CX).

I am looking at buying another decorative strip die so I'll try it again and if they are impossible to use I'll get hold of Sizzix.

Thans so so much again, your replies are always so helpful!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to south1001

I just bought a big kick,,,,,and after FOUR passes through, the plates HAD warped! (and I immediately remembered this thread )

Here's whqat I was told to do,turn and flip your cutting plates to different positions within the sandwich and different ends of the plates entering first,,,,,

it really has made a huge difference!

(MAN that has to be a ton of pressure in those little machines )

sunrenay
Guru
sunrenay
In response to CommaHolly

Holly, mine warped right away, too! Until I read this therad, I assumed that was normal. Like you said, I just rotate mine all directions with each pass.

Tenant
In response to sunrenay

^ Yep I tried that aswell, I also hold down the plates as I put it through and I will flip the plates and run it through again minus the paper which makes the plates a least lie flat again.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics