Username Post: album/page protector questions        (Topic#1549545)
Shivi
Shivi 
Veteran
Shivi
  • Shivi on 12-28-10 12:05 PM

Hi there

I want to put together my wedding album and have my pictures more or less organized. I ended up with about 70 pages, with some of them holding only one, others several pictures.

Now my question is:

Is there any album that can hold this many pages or do I have to do several albums?
An what kind of album would be the best for a large number of pages?
Unfortunately I do not have a store in my area where I could have a look at different albums, so I have to order them online and am a bit clueless right now.

In addition I was wondering about the whole page protector-thing... Is it really necessary to put each sheet into a protector? Doesn't this kind of blur the look of the whole page?

TIA for your answers!
Shivi

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to Shivi

You will want a D-ring album as pictured below.
And YES you want page protectors they do not blur your pages but the do protect them. Put two in each one (back to back)

hth

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Brandilynn

My advice:

3-ring or D-ring album will hold the most

I would suggest using page protectors. You don't want your hard work destroyed by fingers.
Also, if you use a D-ring album, you'd have to punch holes directly in your layout. Probably not a real pretty look.

Although you didn't ask...
If you are new to scrapbooking, DO NOT start with your wedding photos! Get your feet wet with something "less important."

Maybe buy a nice D-ring album and some of these kind of protectors to store your wedding photos until you're ready to scrap them?

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to Bxr-Linda

I am starting to use the D-rings and like the volume they can hold also.

As for scrapping your wedding photos first or not, I say go ahead and do it if that is what you want to do since scrapping is about having fun. I did and although my style has changed over the years, I still don't regret doing it first. It was what most interested me when I was starting, and it is done and I can show it off. Plus, doing it closer to the wedding date helped me remember more of the facts and get them properly recorded. Had I not recorded some of the stuff then, I would have forgotten about it... because looking back at it now I find myself going "oh yeah I remember that now". Plus, I also like the fact that that album kind of has the "flavor" of that point in my history if that makes any sense.

But obviously not everyone agrees with me on this since scrapping styles tend to evolve (or even improve) as we go. Ultimately though, it is your call. I figure though, that if I don't like it... I can always redo all or some of it... not that I probably ever will. Besides, as your life progresses, there is no doubt going to be plenty more interesting stuff to scrap.

Edited by KatieJo on 12-28-10 09:15 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to KatieJo

My wedding is in three matching albums. The 1st is the engagement, showers & etc. The 2nd is the actual wedding, and the 3rd is the reception. I really like how it turned out.

Shivi
Shivi 
Veteran
Shivi
  • Shivi on 12-29-10 12:42 AM
In response to flintridgescrapper

Thanks for all the replys!

As to scrapping my wedding pictures:

Linda, I understand what your aiming at but I pretty much agree with Katie. I scrapped the "core" pictures of the wedding five times now as christmas gifts and I really like most of the layouts, even love some And I'm slightly afraid that if I won't do it now, I might never do it because other great projects will come along.

With you all agreeing, I will go for a D-ring album (or several ^^)
I'm still a bit sceptical about the protectors but I suppose I will simply order a pack (or get some with the album anyway) and give it a try. It's just that I really like the feel of the paper and like to touch the embellies and stuff... Is this weird...?

Only disadvantage: After a quick google search, Germany seems to be a country of pre-bound scrap albums, so the choice on d-ring albums is rather limited and I found only black and brown ones. Not exactly what I thought of for the wedding pictures. Does anyone have experience of altering the cover of a faux leather or cloth album?

Dedria Design
Resident
Dedria Design
In response to Shivi

Order one online that you like and have it shipped to you. Or put it in any D ring album, then switch it when you find an album that you like.
Trust us, you will spend way too much time on this album not to have page protectors!
If these are one of a kind professional photographs that you have paid and arm and a leg for, I suggest you use photo corners instead of adhesive to secure each of your photos, and DON'T crop them. If you can easily make inexpensive reprint, then do whatever makes you happy!

Shivi
Shivi 
Veteran
Shivi
  • Shivi on 12-29-10 07:11 AM
In response to Dedria Design

@ Dedria:

Okay, you're getting me closer and closer toward the page protectors

I have all my pictures on the computer so I can luckily order as many copies as I need - this makes it easier indeed. It would be horrible to have only one or two copies....

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to Shivi

one sticky finger can ruin the whole page without a page protector it is worth it???? Not for me its not!!!!!
I agree page protectors are a must, Unless no one is ever going to enjoy your scrapbook and your gonna put it in a safe deposit box, somewhere that is never gonna have a fight with mother nature of any sort.

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to Brandilynn

The only pages/albums that do not have protectors in my household are minis. I have a child... At some point in time, said child will wind up going through my albums while my back is turned (I can and WILL bet on that). After all the time, energy, and product I've put into them... Nope, not going to leave them unprotected.

Also, if you don't use protectors you will have to punch holes into all of your pages, which means you'll wind up loosing space on your page to embellish, etc, and you'll have to be VERY cognizant of that while you are scrapping. With protectors, also, I can place pages back to back into protector and not see the backsides of them where brads may be poking through, etc. etc. If you don't use protectors, you'd likely see all of that side.

And...what happens if, by chance, the adhesive you use(d) fails and your embellishments, etc. fall apart? This has happened to be before from my early pages. I didn't redo these pages from scratch, I just used new adhesive to fix them, and wouldn't have been able to without the protectors because I would have lost parts of the page.

Just some thoughts.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to CMLeach

FYI - I've not seen any D-ring albums that COME with page protectors. I buy mine separately.

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
FYI - I've not seen any D-ring albums that COME with page protectors. I buy mine separately.

American Crafts D-rings do.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to CMLeach

• CMLeach Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:

I figured someone would correct me if I was wrong.

I buy Hiller (nka We R Memory Keepers), and they don't come with protectors. The cloth ones (don't know the brand) I've seen at Michaels also don't come with any protectors.

I presume they come with 10?

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • CMLeach Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:

I figured someone would correct me if I was wrong.

I buy Hiller (nka We R Memory Keepers), and they don't come with protectors. The cloth ones (don't know the brand) I've seen at Michaels also don't come with any protectors.

I presume they come with 10?

Whatever the "usual" is... Yea, I believe it's 10 (checked the superstore - it is 10). I don't keep track because I buy extras right from the start.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to CMLeach

They probably include 10 protectors so you'll need to buy more and buy THEIR brand.

vanilaa
Expert
vanilaa
In response to Shivi

Hello Shivi,

I am also a beginner (in fact, I ordered my first supplies yesterday and impatiently wait for them to arrive ) and gave a lot of thought and research about albums.
I didn't know if I should start with 12x12 or 8.5x11, or just mix both, but 12x12 is a bit too large (especially for a beginning) and the size isn't really practical (too big for most bookcases). Then I noticed that the 8.5x11 size is actually the standard letter size in the US, like our "DIN A4" in Germany, and that the 3 rings binders are also a standard, like our 2 or 4 ring binders. So I decided to use normal binders (Ordner - like the US 3-ring or D-ring albums) and standard page protectors (Klarsichth├╝llen) in DIN A4: standard size, easy to find, standard paper size (it's easy to buy a pack of DIN A4 white cardstock in any craft shop), etc... and it's cheaper!
The page protectors shouldn't prevent you from seeing the pages, you can put 2 pages back to back in one, you can browse the album without problems and you can take out the page you want to touch if you really want to

PS: if you really want to use the 12x12 size, I think I saw some post bound ones (Schraubalben, they can be expanded) at the Idee shop. While searching their shop, I also found some DIN A4 albums with a 4-ring system.

I hope this helps!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to vanilaa

thumbs up on D-ring albums and page protectors ...

and HAVE FUN!!!!

Dedria Design
Resident
Dedria Design
In response to Shivi

Good girl! On the page protectors.
Thank goodness for digital photos, you can mess them up, print more and start over

Happy wedding photo scrapping!

Shivi
Shivi 
Veteran
Shivi
  • Shivi on 01-01-11 06:22 AM
In response to Dedria Design

Thanks again for your opinions
I'll go for page protectors and a D-ring album I even found an online shop with a wider range of D-ring albums in other colors than black and brown, so I think I'll find something there.

I've got my pictures yesterday and am now slightly intimidated by the sheer amount of pictures.

Now I am wondering about the design of the whole thing.
For the cristmas present albums I did, I created a completely different layout for each page. I had about 30 pictures and 16 pages or something. Now I have about 70 pages and I don't know whether I'm able to produce so many proper, more or less unique layouts.
Would you prefer to use a coherent layout throughout the album? Say, same background paper or same style (color blocking, stamping, ...) or whatever... I really love the uniqueness of the pages in the thin albums but I doubt that I'll be able to hang in there....

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Shivi

There are lots of D-ring albums, in various colors, sold at the superstore here. I linked a few below.

As far as the design for your wedding album.... Do what makes YOU happy.

If it were me, I would probably have some kind of consistency (color and/or design). I did an album of my parents' wedding photos (as an anniversary gift) and used the same line of paper, so the colors throughout were similar and coordinating.

Products Referenced in This Post:

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics