Username Post: Ever used....        (Topic#1549751)
MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

Good Morning and Happy New Year!

I just had an odd but potentially fun thought. Has anyone ever used alcohol inks for stamping? I don't own any alcohol inks yet, but got a fun idea to dab them (like anyone would dab them onto any project) onto an acrylic or rubber stamp and play that way.

Would it work? Would it ruin the stamp?

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to MommaSaid

I wouldn't. Alcohol inks are for non-porous surfaces and usually dry very quickly. I think it may ruin the stamps

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to SuperAllyFan

Bummer! I do appreciate your input. I just thought it would be a cool way to use multiple colors on a stamped image.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to MommaSaid

You can use re-inkers for stamp pads.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to terrihooper

alcohol inks are mostly for coloring hard surfaces and stuff like transparencies, acryllic and glass

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to terrihooper

• terrihooper Said:
You can use re-inkers for stamp pads.

Huh! That never occurred to me! How would that work? Would I apply the re-inking ink to one of the Tim Holtz ink applicators THEN dab the applicator onto the stamp?

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to MommaSaid

Alcohol ink wouldn't ruin your stamps, it would just stain them. They are for coloring nonporous surfaces, not stamping.

If you want to stamp in multiple colors, just apply different inkpads to different parts of your stamp. Make sure the ink on your stamp doesn't get onto other inkpads, could contaminate color. You could also try markers directly on your stamps. I have a tutorial here http://willrunforstamps.blogspot.com/2010/12/stamping-w...

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to runzalot81

Got it open and reading! Thanks! I think the biggest allure of the multi-colored stamping was going to be adding a shimmer of silver or gold to the image.

After reading most of your blog post, I'm amazed and inspired. Thank you for sharing the link!

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to MommaSaid

I love the shimmery chalks by Pebbles for adding sparkle to my images! You can also add sparkle using stickles or leafing pens or glitter pens...

mgiov
mgiov 
Mayor
mgiov
  • mgiov on 12-31-10 09:34 AM

Tim Holtz did a tag around this technique using alcohol ink, I think that this is the effect that you want.
http://timholtz.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/12/12- tags-o...

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to mgiov

He used reinkers, not alcohol ink. I love that technique but have never tried it. Seems cheaper to use markers and easier to store.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan

thanks for this posting your question, I was wondering that as well.
If you want to stamp some silver shimmer have you tried the Brilliance Metallic pigment ink collection?

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to jaxxan

Peggy, thank you for sharing the link; very interesting technique. Since I'm a newbie with stamps, I'll have to store that tip for a more confident day.

Jill, thanks for pointing out the metallic inks. Those look fun, too.

beccacrouch
Veteran
beccacrouch
In response to mgiov

Love that technique! TFS The supplies are definitely going to be added to my wish list!

mgiov
mgiov 
Mayor
mgiov
  • mgiov on 01-01-11 05:33 AM

Duh!!!! I meant reinkers, sorry!!!!

stephie
Idol
stephie
In response to mgiov

Enjoy all these techniques are wonderful.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics