Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Ink or chalk?        (Topic#1549927)
Pinksky-
Resident
Pinksky-

So which is better for edging--ink or chalk?

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to Pinksky-

Both are great-I think its a matter of preference. For me I can't live without my Tim Holtz distress ink-Vintage Photo is the one I use most.

_pink_glitter_hearts_
Guru
_pink_glitter_hearts_
In response to DittoBabyGirl

it depends on the effect you are going for, if i want a softer look i use chalk. but if going for a bolder/stronger look i use ink. i tend to use the ink more as i love the brighter, bolder look.

Dedria Design
Resident
Dedria Design
In response to _pink_glitter_hearts_

Depends on what look you are going for. They are similar though, I prefer chalk, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood for the dusty mess, so I ink instead.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-02-11 09:36 AM
In response to Dedria Design

When I color an edge it's always because I want it to stand out, so ink or Copics. If I want a softer look I use a dauber to feather the ink on. I don't own any chalk and I'm not interested in owning any.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to stick

I have ink pads for photos and for more pronounced distressing. I use chalk for soft and blending techniques

PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom
In response to Pinksky-

Ink if you wish to have a "framed look" edge.

Chalk or chalk ink if you wish to have a soft gentle edge.

Watercolors, paints, markers, pencils are also good for defining an edge.

caraboo
Expert
caraboo
In response to PokeyMom

I also really like distress inks but I have been thinking about trying chalk inks. Anybody like those?

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to caraboo

I like both. It all depends on what effect I want to achieve.

Hellena
Tenant
Hellena
In response to Pinksky-

Hi there, I tell my ladies to use chalk, it's a tad more forgiving anf can be applied over if you goof, then take a fine mist spray (hairspray) and hold it about 8" from the edge and spray once. (Or you can find a spray sealant)_ and use it, same thing!
Hellena

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to Hellena

Definitely ink. I only break out the chalks to make rosy cheeks on something or to add color the middle of something. Inks are for the edges all the time

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to caraboo

• caraboo Said:
I also really like distress inks but I have been thinking about trying chalk inks. Anybody like those?

Yes. I LOVE them. I use chalk ink for just about everything.

Cindy

caraboo
Expert
caraboo
In response to cindy312

• cindy312 Said:
  • caraboo Said:

Yes. I LOVE them. I use chalk ink for just about everything.

Cindy

Good to know...since I went to J's today and bought some to try.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to caraboo

I do both. Chalk tends to give it a softer look so I like use that a little more.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to olleharr

Yep, chalk is softer, ink is darker...just depends on the look you're going for. Get 1 or 2 of each kind and see what you like. I'm sure you could find a friend to swap with if you absolutely don't like one of them.

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to Pinksky-

Here's another option I saw on one of the Prima Live classes--Glimmer Mist. She just opened the bottle, stuck in her paintbrush, and ran it right over the edges of her mini-book. Pretty creative, and, since the book was made of mulberry paper, it soaked in really well.

irisheyes3
Resident
irisheyes3
In response to GemGirl

I Love my Distress Inks but everyone is right- it really depends on the look you are trying to achieve.

beccacrouch
Veteran
beccacrouch
In response to irisheyes3

I've used both but I tend to use ink more, like everyne's said though, chalk is a softer look than ink.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to caraboo

• caraboo Said:

Love love LOVE them!!!!!!!!!! I use them exclusively now,,,they go on much smoother, have a more matte finish and are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to use! The pads are spongy though, not quite as durable as distress ink pads,,,,,but you don't have to press as hard either,,,,,,,don't care for the cats eyes, I like the versa-magic dew drops best,,,,,

I thought my pad was starting to flake off and then suddenly, one layer peeled off,,,,leaving the rest,,,,not sure if it's DESIGNED to do that, but it was awesome, because the rest of the pad underneath was like brand new,,,,,they do seem more durable than the cat's eyes,,,

the cat's eyes don't do that, and the whole pad falls off,,,,,

love love LOVE them!

bbarthej
Veteran
bbarthej
In response to CommaHolly

WOW! I am almost ashamed to say that I didn't know there was a difference. I knew the inks were darker/wetter, but I thought they were just "fresher"/"newer" than the others (chalks). I just assumed the others (the chalks) were OLD! I feel so silly now!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics