Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: need a new trimmer, favorites?        (Topic#1550051)
cdynan
cdynan 
Resident
cdynan

I have never felt that my fiskars cut completely straight. I want to get a new one. Any suggestions? I have never used anything other then a straight blade so any info on the other blades available would be appreciated.
Products Referenced in This Post:

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to cdynan

I have this one, but I am ready to throw it out the window.

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to sbartist

I am patiently awaiting the arrival of the 18" Rotatrim trimmer I ordered as a gift to myself.

Amarilys
Diva
Amarilys
In response to sbartist

I LOVE my 12" Carl RT-200 rotary trimmer that I got from Staples 2.5 yrs ago. I still haven't even replaced the blade once! It was a little expensive (for me anyway) back then but I'm very happy with my purchase

Dedria Design
Resident
Dedria Design
In response to cdynan

I have both of these Fiskars trimmers pictured above. Plus a smaller Fiskars trimmer and one from PC as well. The big one with the LED light I got on BF, my sweetheart decided I really needed a better trimmer when I was getting my business up and running. I LOVE it! And in fact just thanked him yesterday again for encouraging me to get it. This was my first time to really use a rotary cutter, and I haven't really noticed a difference. I still have the 3 smaller ones and will use one of them when I venture out to a crop, because the one with the LED light is really not portable.

Tenant
In response to cdynan

I love this...

scrapinsmiles
Expert
scrapinsmiles
In response to sharmic00

I have the Making Memories rotary blade trimmer and I absolutely love it. It cuts through paper like butter, and it also comes with a magnetic ruler to help keep your paper in place.

Santa put a Cutterpede trimmer in my stocking along with some of the decorative blades, and I used it for the first time this weekend and love that one as well. I think I will be taking this one with me to crops since it is much lighter and than the Making Memories trimmer.

Good luck in your search for the perfect trimmer!

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to scrapinsmiles

This is the one I use all the time. I got it with a coupon at M's, but I would've gladly paid full price for it. I love it!

scrappin 2
Governor
scrappin 2
In response to scraprabbit

I'm glad you asked this question. I too think I need a better cutter.I have the Fiskar that you have. I don't always cut straight. They have a new one with a "cut" line. I was thinking about trying it. I actually purchased the Making Memories two piece cutter and took it back. It was too large for my space. Maybe I should have kept it. We had Large guillotine cutters at school. The paper always slipped. So I'm staying away from them. But then, the one at school probably needed sharpening. I also have a Fiskar purple rotary cutter and don't like it.I bought it because it had two plates with cutting lines. As you can see I'm in a quandary too.I hope we get more input.

caraboo
Expert
caraboo
In response to scrappin 2

I have two of them. I started with the Making Memories trimmer but it's a little bulky to take out and about...however, it works great. I also have a Fiskars cutter which I LOVE...it just seems easier to use...less cumbersome. Part of my problem may be that I need a bigger work space. Either way both of them work well.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to caraboo

I have everything listed so far and they all start cutting crooked after a while. I need a new one but don't want to pay the price for what I want. I guess a new Making Memories it's held up the best and cut straight the longest.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to caraboo

I have two friskars as well and for a long time thought I couldn't straight. Finally someone else used them and had the same problem. We realized the lines didn't measure up correctly.

I am in the market for a good one that is not friskars. Thanks for asking this question.

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to jaxxan

This is the one I have and I love it a lot. It's compact and easy to use. You can buy a few different blades for it too.
Cutterpede Trimmer (Discontinued)

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to Penny Lane

I have used a few now. I had a Fiskars and managed to get straight cuts out of it for quite a while before it started doing "wonky" cuts. I got a CM version and liked that too for a while but then the blades seemed to dull very fast, and it requires contact with a consultant to replace those blades. I finally listened to the reviews and got the Making Memories one on sale. I see now though that they also have it in pink. I have to say that it has been quite good at cutting a straight line and the blade self sharpens (so far very nicely) but it is a bit heavier and bulkier and of course you can't just start your cut anywhere on the page since it is a rotary style. I miss that last feature quite a bit having used the swing arm style for so long before getting it. Also, I do find that it much more difficult to put thinner strips of scrap paper into it because it has a rather wide (in comparison) guard piece. However it does a good job of cutting quite thin lines of paper from a sheet.

Edited by KatieJo on 01-04-11 08:07 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to KatieJo

Please contact Fiskars' customer service before you give up on them! They have the best customer service. I had a trimmer that started cutting crooked and they sent me a replacement part that made all the difference. I currently use and LOVE these:

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to cindy312

I still use my CM trimmers ... the small "personal" one for photos/mats and the 12" one for larger pieces.

They work great for me and I've had them for years.

KellyLeigh
Idol
KellyLeigh
In response to madmatter

I went through a couple of Fiskars ones that never cut straight. A couple of years ago I picked up a Cricut trimmer for $10 and it gets the job done much better than the Fiskars ones did. I have always wanted to "nice" trimmer though

sueml
sueml 
Veteran
sueml
  • sueml on 01-05-11 03:31 PM
In response to KellyLeigh

I really like my Purple Cows trimmer with two ways to cut and decorative blades for the rotary trimmer.

NCScrapAddict
Pro
NCScrapAddict
In response to sueml

It's funny that I found this thread. I've been trying to decide for a week whether to keep the Carl RT-200 my daughter gave me for Christmas. It really cuts like butter and would be great for someone that makes cards. The problem is that the base is only 9" wide, and there are no markings for 1". That makes it hard to cut 1" off a 12" piece of paper.

I had heard of the Dahle rotary trimmers, so I started reading reviews and watching videos. I bit the bullet and bought the Dahle 550 Rotary Trimmer last night. It was very expensive ($125), but has a self-sharpening blade, and hopefully will last me for years. At that price, I sure hope so!

beccacrouch
Veteran
beccacrouch
In response to NCScrapAddict

I have the fiskars 9" and like it then also have the purple cows one and it doesn't cut straight. If you line up the paper with the bottom edge it's a hair off 90 degrees and if you use the grid section it's off the other direction. I like the rotary part of it though and the ability to use different blades. I use that part of it quite often.

Edited by beccacrouch on 01-05-11 06:10 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics