Username Post: I am having major issues cutting with Sesame Street Friends.        (Topic#1551091)
myboysmylife
New Kid On the Block
myboysmylife

I've been trying for the last 3 nights to cut out Abby Cadabby and it's ripping each and every time. I was able to cut the black backround with no problem at all but cannot for the life of me get the next step to cut. It's the body/layer which is the pink face and hair. I've tried adjusting the depth...speed...pressure. I've left the mat super sticky and made it less sticky. Can anyone please help? I'm making it for my neices 1st birthday party and it needs to be done tonight

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to myboysmylife

what size are cutting?

Ms Jackie
Diva
Ms Jackie

As Gem said what size and what type of paper. If you are cutting really small pieces and cheap paper sometimes it will rip.

However, check your mat, and see if it has any pieces of paper on it. and does it has lots of groves. Make sure you cut on different places on your mat. We all love that upper left hand corner......

Also check to see if you paper in the blade housing.

myboysmylife
New Kid On the Block
myboysmylife
In response to Ms Jackie

Sorry I couldn't respond yesterday...I ended up being out all day and night for my nephews bday.

I was trying to cut the image in 7" at first then went up to 8". I was using cardstock...not sure on the quality of it though. It's called Bazzills Basic Paper.

Although I wasn't able to make it for my neices bday i would still love to know what I can do differently to get it to work for future projects. It seems like all of the characters have the same small detail...I would hate to not be able to use the cart at all.

Thanks!!

myboysmylife
New Kid On the Block
myboysmylife

Oh and I can't see it being a problem with the mat being This was the first time i've tried to use it.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram

Bazzill cardstock can be tricky to cut with, or any textured cs really, and especially if the cut is small or has alot of detail, I always stay away from textured cs when cutting, stinks, because I love that paper, seems to have the best variety of colors. Then of coarse it could be many other factors as well, speed,pressure,blade depth,mat too sticky, etc. sometimes its just hard to get it all to jive!

myboysmylife
New Kid On the Block
myboysmylife
In response to ChansGram

Thanks Trish!! That stinks because I love the textured...lol. I'll try with a plain paper and see if that helps!!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM

I have cut with textured before. If it gave me trouble, I would put the textured side down and flip the images...worked for me....

SarahWscraps
Veteran
SarahWscraps
In response to HisGEM

If you go to aboverubiesstudio.com you can download a cricut cutting guide that tells you how to set up your cricut ie. speed, pressure, blade depth for many different types of paper from 7 gypsies to vellum. It also tells you these things for shape type, and size of shape. Ex. if you are using Daisy Ds designer paper, cutting an intricate shape less than an inch with your regular blade it says to put your blade depth @ 4, your speed @ 1, and your pressure at 2 or 3. This guide also helps you from having your blade make the cutting marks in your mat. HTH

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to SarahWscraps

You can also buy a 60 degree blade (cricuts come with a 45 degree blade) which will significantly improve your cutting,,,but STILL the textured paper is difficult at best

myboysmylife
New Kid On the Block
myboysmylife
In response to HisGEM

• HisGEM Said:
I have cut with textured before. If it gave me trouble, I would put the textured side down and flip the images...worked for me....

Thanks...i'll definitely try this next time!!

myboysmylife
New Kid On the Block
myboysmylife
In response to SarahWscraps

• SarahWscraps Said:
If you go to aboverubiesstudio.com you can download a cricut cutting guide that tells you how to set up your cricut ie. speed, pressure, blade depth for many different types of paper from 7 gypsies to vellum. It also tells you these things for shape type, and size of shape. Ex. if you are using Daisy Ds designer paper, cutting an intricate shape less than an inch with your regular blade it says to put your blade depth @ 4, your speed @ 1, and your pressure at 2 or 3. This guide also helps you from having your blade make the cutting marks in your mat. HTH

Thanks. This sounds like a great site that will be very helpful. I'm new to this so i'll be using it a lot i'm sure!!

myboysmylife
New Kid On the Block
myboysmylife
In response to CommaHolly

• CommaHolly Said:
You can also buy a 60 degree blade (cricuts come with a 45 degree blade) which will significantly improve your cutting,,,but STILL the textured paper is difficult at best

I'll have to pick one up. Would I be switching back and forth with the blades or just replacing the the 45 with the 60?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• myboysmylife Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:

I'll have to pick one up. Would I be switching back and forth with the blades or just replacing the the 45 with the 60?

Just replace it permanently with a deep cut blade (but not the housing,,,just put the deep cut blade into the housing it comes with),,,,,,the deep cut blade is a 60 degree blade I find it's really helpful for those scrolly and detailed cuts,,,,
Products Referenced in This Post:

Ms Jackie
Diva
Ms Jackie

I never change my blades, but only if I am cutting something really thick.

naf
naf 
Idol
naf
  • naf on 01-19-11 09:35 PM

• CommaHolly Said:
  • myboysmylife Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:

Just replace it permanently with a deep cut blade (but not the housing,,,just put the deep cut blade into the housing it comes with),,,,,,the deep cut blade is a 60 degree blade I find it's really helpful for those scrolly and detailed cuts,,,,

=( the other day I was gonna buy these blades(they were on sale) and the girl at the LSS told me I needed to buy the housing too... so I didn't buy them the housing is very expensive!!!!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to naf

• naf Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:
  • myboysmylife Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:

=( the other day I was gonna buy these blades(they were on sale) and the girl at the LSS told me I needed to buy the housing too... so I didn't buy them the housing is very expensive!!!!

you eed the deep cut housing WITH the deep cut blades to cut THICK things like chipboard,,,

but just to have the 60 degree cutting capability, you do not need the housing!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics