Username Post: colouring in a stamp        (Topic#1551313)
JoanieCat
Resident
JoanieCat

What's the best way to colour in a stamp? Black outlined stamp on standard white cardstock: felt pens are too dark, pencil crayons leave swirl marks.I've used chalk..nice but pale. Watercolour paint is nice too. I see these beautifully stamped cards with nicely coloured stamping. Please tell me the secret.

Christine19850
Veteran
Christine19850
In response to JoanieCat

I suspect that most people will point you in the direction of the Copic markers as they are blendable and available in different shades. There are tutorials for blending and colouring skin tones, hair etc. on Youtube.

I use my distress inks to water colour, or use the ink undiluted to get a stronger colour. While I love the look of the Copics I don't think my skills would do them justice :-)

If I want the outline to stand out more, I use a clear or black embossing powder.

GreenDragonLady
Expert
GreenDragonLady
In response to Christine19850

When I use watercolor pencils, watercolor crayons, or the dye inks from an inkpad, I use a blender pen. It keeps the colors nice and soft and blended.

You should be able to get them at your LSS. I buy them from myself.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to GreenDragonLady

Copics are gorgeous, and I suspect that's what you're seeing in the gallery,,,,but pricey,,,,

very very pricey. Expect to spend 3-5 bucks per marker,,,,,and you need at LEAST 2 shades of each color, 3 is better, for blending and shading,,,,

For some people, no doubt, the cost is well worth it,,,,but as several people told me when I was considering them,,,,,,THINK CAREFULLY,,,,,you're looking at well over 500 bucks for a really nice set,,,,

there are other options including Prisma color pencils, and many ways to shade them, that are much more affordable,,,,,but I never found the results to be as pretty as copics,,,,,,yet I finally decided I just wasn't going to spend that MUCH on markers,,,,it's just not me,,,,,

but for some, it's what they really want,,,,

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to CommaHolly

Watercolor, colored pencils, watercolor pencils, distress ink, chalk, pens, pearlescent paint, and cheap markers are all mediums that I use on my stamped images. I have tutorials on my blog for many of these coloring techniques.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to runzalot81

I love my copics and most everything in my gallery is copics, but, you can gets some cheep paint brushes and color with your ranger distressing inks also. I have on card that has the ranger inks for the back ground and copic for the girl.

But, to get perfect look that you see in most colored stamps you need either copics or promarkers. Pro's are a little cheaper I've never used them. Love copics.

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman
In response to JoanieCat

• JoanieCat Said:
What's the best way to colour in a stamp? Black outlined stamp on standard white cardstock: felt pens are too dark, pencil crayons leave swirl marks.I've used chalk..nice but pale. Watercolour paint is nice too. I see these beautifully stamped cards with nicely coloured stamping. Please tell me the secret.

If you don't want to take the copic plunge right now, pencil crayons using a blending stump with odourless mineral spirits (oms) is a very popular way to colour (google gamsol magic for tutorials). I would say probably next to copics, its the most popular. While most of my cards are coloured with copics, my next choice is colouring pencils. Prisma are the most popular and they blend beautifully. They are highly pigmented, high wax content pencils. But they are a little pricey too. I use good old Crayola pencil crayons with a few Prismas and get very nice results.

Here's a card I did recently using only Crayola pencil crayons & oms:

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to cat_woman

beautiful, Cat,,,,,,,if I ever want to color stamps, I think this is the way I am going to go,,,,though I may spring for the prisma color pencils,,,,you can get a really nice set for 100 bucks, especially with a coupon or on sale.

RobinH
RobinH 
Veteran
RobinH
In response to CommaHolly

Cat, I love your sample! Thanks for the hint.

maggiemae0907
Diva
maggiemae0907
In response to JoanieCat

COPICS for sure - sometimes I use colored pencils also - depends on the project!! Cheers and happy coloring!!

Virginiareal
Veteran
Virginiareal
In response to maggiemae0907

I totally agree with Cat Woman. I have Copics but I also have cheapo Crayola pencils and the odorless mineral spirits. I started with the pencils to just see if I even liked the time and effort for coloring.

Start cheap to see how much you use it and want to grow that particular talent.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Virginiareal

I LOVE my prisma pencils with OMS. Got them all at J's. The OMS is CHEAP and I got my blending stumps there too. I don't have anything in my gallery of it but it's super easy to do, the paper doesn't warp (like with water colors).

I also like to use my prisma water color pencils with a water pen. Nice blending/shading ability. You can take the pigment straight from the pencil or shade and go over it with the water pencil.

JoanieCat
Resident
JoanieCat
In response to Seaexplore

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I picked up a box of Crayola pencil crayons and started practicing. Pretty happy with the results so far. This weekend I purchased a watercolour pencil kit from Michael's. It's a begginer kit with shading instructions and practice sheets & I'm excited to get colouring. I'll post a pic when I finish this card...working all week and a new puppy in the house, so play-time is gonna be lean.

Catherine Pooler
Resident
Catherine Pooler
In response to JoanieCat

My favorite way is to color with blender pens and ink pads.
Here is a video if that helps!
http://www.catherinepooler.com/2010/05/stampers-qa-h ow-...

tneal40
Diva
tneal40
In response to Catherine Pooler

I just started Stamping myself, and love to color them in. I am finding the pens I bought La pluma I think they are called... are really bold and blend well with the blender pen.. I just need to work on what colors blend well with each other... Think I am going to pick up the Crayola pencils too.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics