Username Post: what can I use ribbon for?        (Topic#1551569)
lifekeepshappening
Tenant
lifekeepshappening

I have several spools of cute polka dot pastel ribbon for scrapbooking... I have no idea how to use it. If I tie it in bows won't it be too thick (3-d) for my pages to lie flat?

Thanks for any ideas!
Lulu

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to lifekeepshappening

I prefer flat layouts, but I find that the bows do not add too much bulk.

I use ribbon as trim. I just run it through my xyron and adhere to my layout. I also use ribbon on my cards, where flat does not matter.

Another fun option is to weave the ribbon through a layout. I've either cut holes to do this, or used my Fiskars border punch.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Luvmyfam

Ohhhh, I LOVE ribbon!!! You can do pretty much anything.

As the above poster said, bows, trim, weaving, folding, making into flowers, borders for photos, as ties for keys, to "hang" your pictures, all kinds of stuff!!! Let me see if I can find some examples.

As for bulkiness, it's really up to you, some of my pages are super bulky and some are flat. You should be storing your albums in an upright position anyway so bulky doesn't really bother me.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Scrapbook Queen

Here's some examples:

SRS By Scrapbook Queen

In Loving Memory - London By Scrapbook Queen

Easter By Scrapbook Queen

London-1 By Scrapbook Queen

lifekeepshappening
Tenant
lifekeepshappening
In response to Luvmyfam

okay wait, what's a xyron? Is it like double sided tape or is it something else? I've seen it mentioned in scrapbooking books etc but never have figured out what it is.

Thanks for the ideas!

lifekeepshappening
Tenant
lifekeepshappening
In response to Scrapbook Queen

ooooooooooooh what a lot of great ideas. thank you! I saw a layout this month with ribbon flowers. I need to try to make them. At the moment I'm looking for cute baby girl embellishments to make for my daughter to use in her scrapbook, so... lots of flowers!

I love your layouts - esp the ones with your cat.

Thanks for helping.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

You can do so many things with ribbon! The above posters gave you some great examples and here are a few of mine as well. I use ribbons on probably 85% of my layouts!

Star By Here Kitty

Gift *SNA M/J 10 issue* By Here Kitty

I *heart* wildflowers By Here Kitty

Class '98 By Here Kitty

Kae By Here Kitty

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie

• lifekeepshappening Said:
okay wait, what's a xyron? Is it like double sided tape or is it something else? I've seen it mentioned in scrapbooking books etc but never have figured out what it is.

Thanks for the ideas!

Xyron is a line of adhesive machines... sticker makers, basically. They come in different widths. The X is great for ribbon, buttons, small die cuts (letters, etc.), and other items. It's also pretty inexpensive. You just buy refill cartridges for it.

I used ribbon to trim the white paper behind my title.

In fact, I ran the ribbon through my X, the flowers and buttons, too.

Baby girl By Lisymarie

JustJenScraps
Idol
JustJenScraps
In response to lisymarie

I love ribbon! I use it alot on my pages as trim or borders. You can do anything with ribbon! I add it to tags, eyelets, create bows, attach it to the ends of hidden journaling, to make it easier to pull. The possibilities are endless!

lifekeepshappening
Tenant
lifekeepshappening
In response to lisymarie

thanks for explaining the xyron. we had a look at them at the craft store last night and still couldn't figure it out! we're complete novices, which I think amused all the other people in the scrapbooking aisle!

sb262
sb262 
Resident
sb262
  • sb262 on 02-03-11 07:31 AM

Love the ideas here. I have accumulated a lot of ribbon, but haven't used it much yet. Thanks for the inspiration! I don't know why I hadn't thought of running it through the Xyron - duh!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• lifekeepshappening Said:
thanks for explaining the xyron. we had a look at them at the craft store last night and still couldn't figure it out! we're complete novices, which I think amused all the other people in the scrapbooking aisle!

Oh so what they were new once too! Hmphs,,,,I'd have asked you if you needed help.

as for ribbon, I lovvvvvvvve bows,,,,,,,they really do NOT add too much bulk,,,,

love them for cards too!

Christmas cards By CommaHolly

bride By CommaHolly

kids By CommaHolly

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics