Username Post: How would you scrap 2 decades of photos?        (Topic#1551825)
lifekeepshappening
Tenant
lifekeepshappening

Knowing what you know from all your experience of scrapping, how would you plan this project if you were faced with this situation:

2 kids aged 16 (B) and nearly 21 (G)
plus
all their photos from birth to now
plus
very basic craft tools (no cardstock/paper/cutting machines etc)
plus
lots of art and craft skills but no scrapbooking knowledge
plus
single working mom budget for time and money

I'd really like to take this project on, possibly later this year. The kids each want a book of their own and I want a book(s)to keep. I just don't know where to start with planning such a massive project. I'm working on a couple of 8x8 albums right now to learn some basics before I commit to the big project.

I'm very interested to see how people with experience would approach this task. How would you do it? What tools would be worth buying? How long would it take you? Would you take a long time planning or jump right in and get started right away? Would you duplicate pages between the child and mom's albums knowing that eventually the mom's albums would go to one of the children or would you use entirely different photos? Would you use the same set of colors ie pastels/brights/muted throughout a large album or do each double page according to photos? etc etc.

I'd love to hear how you would do it, knowing what you know now that you have experience.

Many many thanks to anyone who answers!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to lifekeepshappening

Wow! I am impressed you want to take all this on, I can only imagine how overwhelmed you must feel.

My best advice to you to get started is to sort through your pictures. You don't have to scrap everyone of them, but go through and make a stack for each album. If you are going to journal on the page I might also have a post its or a notepad nearby to right down your initial thoughts, dates, people, story, etc.

You might want to start with the most recent photos or the ones that inspire you the most. You can do the pages and then put them in the book in any order you want.

As for tools, basic trimmer, scissors and adhesive and maybe a package of cardstock to get you started. I think SB.com has basic tool kit in the store to give you an idea.

I hope that helps in getting started, the rest is more subjective on your taste, style and preference.
Have fun!

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to jaxxan

Jill has a lot of great points.

Remember - You do NOT have to scrapbook every single photo! Par down the photos you have into a manageable pile -- a few events/themes per year (thinking things like birthdays, sports/other activities, camp, trips). Then par those events/themes down into just a few photos for each. Decide whether you need one photo or more to tell the story.

Honestly, any albums I give to others are much more simple than what I do for myself. And I don't mean that they're more simply embellished/designed. More that where I may do 6 or more pages for an event/theme, they may get one double-page spread. That is the way I would approach your kids albums. More as an overview (maybe 2-3 two-page layouts per year of life) and allow yourself to scrap more in depth for yourself.

As for colors, etc. -- my albums do not match (rephrase: wedding albums I've done for myself and friends are done in a matching color palette; my every day albums are not).

3LittleLadies
Resident
3LittleLadies
In response to CMLeach

I think I would start by going through the pictures with your kids. Have them help you narrow down which memories, moments, or events they want scrapped. I have about 10 years worth to scrap, and I just narrow it down the best I can and go from there.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-26-11 08:27 PM
In response to CMLeach

I would first sort through the pics and organize them a bit - chronologically, making note of particularly memorable pics and events. Separate them into categories for kid 1, kid 2, and you. Some pics you may want to have duplicated to include in 2 or all 3 of the albums you're planning. You may also want to duplicate the more special pics so there's no chance of ruining an original in the crafting process.

I would start by working on just the MOST major events and the most meaningful moments in each of their lives. Do a page or 2 for each event. Don't plan too much or it's easy to feel overwhelmed, easier to give up, etc. Just start with the most important and work down from there.

You can duplicate pages for them and yourself if you want, or you can make them different - that's your creative decision. The pages for yourself could be more personal about looking at them as a mother, the pages for their books can be more objectively about them, or the pages for them can be like a communication from you to them - lots of options.

As to tools - you really can do this with just a paper trimmer (or even less techy - an xacto knife, a ruler, and a cutting mat will accomplish the same thing), some adhesive, and some good acid-free scrapbook paper.

RobinH
RobinH 
Veteran
RobinH
In response to stick

I agree with much of what's already posted.

I'd have the kids go through the pics and choose their favorites (you, too!). Only use those.

I'm a big fan of Simple Scrapbooking. The use of color blocking and minimal embellishments will suit your budget nicely. Then, you can get a nice cohesive look throughout the album.

Be sure to copy your favorite pages for yourself.

Don't go overboard. It's a big project but well worth it for your kids and yourself. Slow and easy and you'll be extremely happy with the results.

Good luck and have fun!

JeepMama-Ar
Expert
JeepMama-Ar
In response to RobinH

and remember to have fun... don't rush it but do set goals for yourself & if you ever get "stuck" give the girls here a shout-out

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to JeepMama-Ar

I agree with the above. Maybe get your children to pick their favorite photos. Or only scrap the big events or moments. Or put several Christmases on one page.

Any way you look at it, you've got your work cut out for you. The basics that you've got will be just fine - clean and simple scrapping is great for showcasing your photos! Just take it easy, don't set goals that are TOO ambitious to start with, and make sure you enjoy the process! Keep us updated on how you're doing and upload in the gallery so we can see your work!

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to meezerpleaser

I have done the project you are attempting. As it says in my bio, I started scrapbooking to use up the pictures that were displayed at my son's high school graudation party. I did an album for each of my 2 kids. The albums are similar but not identical. Each page is unique within the ablum. I started with their baby pictures from the hospital, of course I save the bracelets. Then a toddler picture and so on. Their nursery school photos and senior pictures are single photo layouts. I did a collage of the rest of the school pictures and for each sport they were involved with. For the rest I followed their activities and friends. The books begin with the newborn and end with their dorm move in.

Not a formula, but it seems you're looking for ideas and those are mine. For me it was a labor of love and really helped me put the whole empty nest thing into perspective. Good luck.

Pinksky-
Resident
Pinksky-
In response to scrap4brains

And remember, there are no rules in scrapbooking other than enjoy what you're doing.

NanaNise
New Kid On the Block
NanaNise
In response to Pinksky-

I did this with my mothers photos. I didn't even know most of the people in them but had an idea of the year they where taken so started there. I sorted them by year first and then each year by event or person. I'm still working on them. I am up to 1945 now. LOL. After that it gets easier because I do know most of them by sight and in 1950 I come along.

pharmgirl
Guru
pharmgirl
In response to NanaNise

This is what I would do:

Yes, I would organize my photos. But I wouldn't worry about scrapping chronologically. I would scrap photos that inspired me, memories that inspired me, stories I want to remember. And this could change day to day.

So it would be a project where you're doing what inspires you at the moment. that way, it's more of an artistic hobby and fun - and not a job you'll have to finish!

Having this kind of attitude with my own library of photos made this hobby sooooo much more enjoyable!

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Pinksky-

I too am working on a project like this that goes back to 1992. NOW was the time for me to seriously make a plan to get caught up within this year. I tried to scrap whatever but ended up with 40 pages completed for some years and 6 pages for other years.
Here's what I finally came up with:
1. sort about 15 boxes of pictures. I jot down notes and dates as I go and stick that in with the pics. I arrange all in boxes chronologically (with paper dividers) EXCEPT for the events I want extra nice scrapping. These special events are stacked in another place by events -- like all the past Christmases are together, all the falls, all the birthdays,ect. These are categories I chose as major importance. I set a goal to get this done by the end of January, I have been working on it and will make it!!
2. All the plain scrapping pictures I want to put on white paper, add a few notes, then these go into my albums chronologically. After Jan, I will set a goal for this, like a box a week. If I complete all my years I can always go back and scrap the plain pictures.
3. For the ready to be scrapped pictures, I will take a day, week or weekend and work on only one event, like all birthdays. This works for me and I like using the newest techniques in a ten years ago album! All pages are in albums chronologically. I have 13 albums ready dated with repositional stickers.

Since I got this idea to proceed like this, in my spare time I have scoured and marked layouts that fit into my categories. When I am ready to do football pictures, I will get out all those "football" ideas for inspiration and all my pages won't look alike. It is easier for me to go to crops and only take one event's "stuff". I don't think it will bother me to work on 10 Thanksgivings to completion but I am sure this is not for everyone.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to wilbur

to lifekeepshappening I just want to add please let us know what you decide. I really helped me to type out this plan......thanks!

lifekeepshappening
Tenant
lifekeepshappening
In response to pharmgirl

Thanks so much everyone for helping with this. I'm so glad that I found this forum as I don't know anyone (yet) in real life who scraps and has time to help me with all my questions.

I have a couple of gaps in the continuity of years - both were very stressful times and I didn't take any photos. I'm hoping this can somehow be rectified or at least made up for.

It's good to know that other people have taken on similar tasks and succeeded. I'm very excited, just hoping I can do justice to all these wonderful memories of my kiddos.

Thanks again everyone. I've been browsing your galleries to learn more - I'm soooo impressed!!!

AmyK75
AmyK75 
Veteran
AmyK75

I'm actually doing this for myself.

My mom gave me an album of all my childhood photos and an envelope for all that weren't normal sized which is a lot because my dad was a newspaper photographer so my childhood is B&W and most are 5x7 or 8x10 it's crazy.

I took all the photos and started sorting by year (I'm a "by year" kind of person) That was a task that cost me nothing but took time. Why did they stop printing the ******** dates on the back of photos anyway...

I started with my baby pics and went from there, the important thing to remember and something I had to learn... You don't need to include EVERY photo. Think of a scrapbook as a highlight reel. Keep it Simple. I have to tell myself that all the time. In the end I like it simple, but I'm such a picture ********... LOL!

As for cost... I spent too much last year (way too much). I now have a budget I set aside $5-10 a week (usually $5) and I won't buy without a coupon or a good sale.

lifekeepshappening
Tenant
lifekeepshappening

I might be putting the cart before the horse with my fledgling plan but I was thinking that once we'd picked all the photos for an album, I'd have a rough idea of layout for each page on a sticky, mount the photos and put them on the page cardstock... then put them in the album and work on the titles, journaling and embellishments over a longer period of time. I'd know where they were going from having a layout, but I'd be able to choose actual lettering and doodads with the whole album already put together in order. Ten minutes ago I was pretty sure this was a decent plan... I'm very Type A... well, I'm sure everyone's guessed that by now anyway otherwise I would've just bought and album and started doing something already!

Does this seem like a sensible plan?

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 01-27-11 12:28 PM

Maybe it would be helpful to you to puchase photo dividers. These are 12x12 (or other sizes) of page protectors that are divided into photo slots. You can buy these in a variety of styles, ie 6 horizontal photos per page protectors, 9 square photos, a mix of horizontal/vertical, a mix of enlargement and smaller pics, etc.

That way, you could organize the pictures and could easily move (or remove) them. But they would all be in an album. You could do this for all three albums. Then, when you're ready to scrap (and have the embellishments) you have your pages already pre-made/pre-organized via the page protectors.

You can also "scrap" the page protectors by inserting a piece of cardstock or patterned paper in a slot meant for a photo.

I wouldn't adhere the pics to cardstock and scrap them later, because later you might not like where the photos are on the page.

I'll link some examples of photo page protectors in the Superstore.

Also, here is an example of how someone "scrapped" a photo page protector by putting cardstock in some of the photo slots.

First Glimpse By Angel401

dabnat
dabnat 
Expert
dabnat

I have roughly the same situation. I used to scrap way before now, you know when you colored photos with crayons, used stencils and construction paper. Then I quit and started throwing all my photos in boxes.

Remember that scrapping is for relaxation and fun. I like keeping my photos in order then grabbing a few and completing the pages one by one. I haven't ever tried placing the photos then going back to them later. And most of the time my two page layouts have the same background color but not the whole book. I am one who grabs the paper that I am in the mood for that very moment.
The last "little project" in my major project was our vacation last year. I did 5 books, one for each child that went with us. I never really copied any pages but they were simular just differnt colors and titles. And I took my time eventually I will get through all my photos but for now it is one page at a time!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics