Username Post: Hmmm...tote bag?        (Topic#1552005)
apejaz
apejaz 
Diva
apejaz

Hi

Ok so I am going to try and make a tote bag for the relay for life that is in June. I have never made one. I was going to attempt a quilt but I thought a tote bag would be easier. Has anyone made a tote bag? Are they hard?

Thanks

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 01-30-11 07:13 AM
In response to apejaz

Tote bags can be really simple and easy, or very elaborate and not for beginners.

Are you thinking of a tote similar to the grocery store bags? Just the "bag" and 2 fabric handles? These are the easiest to make. You can either make it reversable, or you will need to line it to help hold the shape of the bag.

Do a google search for free, easy to sew tote bags, you should get a hundred hits or more. Look over each one, some directions are easier to follow than others.

I think seaexplore has pics of some of her bags in her gallery.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Tivi

I LOVE making bags! Mine are all simple. They either don't have a closure or I put a magnet on them or velcro.

Check out the emm ay kay ee blog. She did a sew along that was SUPER fun. It's a bit more than a beginner probably but you could do it.

I can help you if you want. They're truly easy. I started off making them without a pattern, just decided my dimensions and took off. The first one was not so pretty but after that they've only gotten better. You can also find some on my blog. I think there are links there to the tutorial's I've used too.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Seaexplore

I made a couple in gift bag style. Those are easy.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 06-13-11 07:17 AM
In response to janetfw

Here's a first for me - I made a tail bag for one of the horses last week. It's a long tube like bag with 2 'ties' at the top to hold it on. I need to make a pic but it's been on the horse for 4 or 5 days now...

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Tivi

what do the horses use the bags for Tivi? (I'm totally clueless when it comes to horses)

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 06-14-11 06:17 AM

Usually for 2 reasons..

First, after you give the horse a bath and get him all pretty and clean. We usually put conditioner on the tails because we are so dry here. The tail goes into the bag and the conditioner can stay in the hair. We're more about speed than pretty, but I still like their tails to be clean and soft.

Second, if their tails are not long enough or thick enough to swat flies, the bag helps when they swish their tails.

And D2 volunteered me to make a bunch of the tail bags for a fundraiser. One of her lesson girls qualified for Youth World finals in Jackson Miss and needs to raise money to pay for fuel and travel costs. I made 4 or 5 last night, and will make more today. Each one takes just less than 1/2 yard and I have TONS of that size fabric!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Tivi

sounds super useful actually! I just couldn't for the life of me figure out what part of the horse and why you'd want to bag it.

GOOD LUCK on the fund raising!

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 06-15-11 09:22 AM

Tiff - here's one of the bags on Cue. It's the same fabric that I used for DGD's infant carrier with the skulls and roses.

Cue's Tail Bag By Tivi

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Tivi

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that fabric! It's the same one I made my skulls and roses bag out of.

leonella769
New Kid On the Block
leonella769

Tote bags are really easy to make. I made one when I was in my hs class. Its easy and look very classy too.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics