Username Post: Tiny Scrap Area        (Topic#1552425)
scrappy_lassie
Resident
scrappy_lassie

I have been looking at pictures of all of your awesome scraprooms and came to the conclusion that I will end up with a lot of scrapbooking merchandise as I go along. The problem is I only have one small dresser for anything that I collect. The dresser is approximately 4' x 2' with two small drawers that are 1' x 1 1/2' x 3" and a larger drawer that is about 3 1/2' x 1 1/2' x 4" and a small clearing underneath where I could put some bins or something. I don't know how I could possibly organize this area though. Does anyone have any ideas or advice for me?

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to scrappy_lassie

Up, up, up and away! Look for those stacking Sterlite 12x12 drawers to hold your paper, baskets for embellies, ribbon etc....can you put a shelf on the wall anywhere near your space? Maybe get rid of the dresser all together and go with the white stacking cubes from A's, M's, etc...they won't take up any more space than the dresser, but are designed to hold the 12x12 paper and can be configured in lots of diff ways to work for you. I only have a corner of my bedroom for my scrap stuff too, here's a pic, good luck!

Scraproom-Scrap Corner in my BR By ScrappyMama6

I have since moved the painting above the table and have a wall shelf there too for my Stickles, flowers, stamps, inks etc....

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 02-03-11 05:20 AM
In response to ScrappyMama6

First, be careful in your purchases so you don't accumulate too much (easier said then done). Just remember that everything you buy, you have to store or use or eventually purge.

I agree with the poster above: go vertical. Either put shelves or a peg board above your desk/table. Probably get rid of the dresser and instead get something made for scrapbooking.

If you have an Ikea near you, you can find great scrapbooking furniture for a very low price. If you don't have an Ikea, you can buy drawers/modular units for scrapbooking supplies at your local craft store - with a coupon.

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000
In response to IzzyB

How small is your housing? Why are you limiting yourself to 8 square feet? Can you multi purpose a different room with a sensible piece of furniture and keep the scrappy stuff out of site? I re-purposed my dining room, looks like a dining room when my paper isn't out. Used dining room furniture is cheaper than any new scrappy storage too. This room cost less than $1000 (including lighting, table, chairs, china hutch, entertainment hutch, and buffet) and if my budget and dining room were smaller I could have done it for much, much less.

Edited by Msceejay2000 on 02-03-11 06:33 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scrappy_lassie
Resident
scrappy_lassie
In response to Msceejay2000

8 square feet is all the room I can find because our place is pretty small for a family of three. I like the idea of going vertical. I hadn't even thought of that. lol

Unfortunately I live in Oklahoma so I don't have an Ikea nearby, I don't think there are even any in the state. I have seen some of the plastic drawers like in scrappymamas' pic at Wal-Mart though. Do those work well?

Also my mom used to have a big plastic suitcase type thing with one large empty compartment and a clear lid on the front that opened to a skinny compartment for papers. Does anyone know where I might find something like that and if that would work well for any extra spillover. So I could put extra in a closet.

I am asking because I know I am going to end up with a lot of stuff no matter how I try to restrain myself. I went into Hobby Lobby once just to waste some time between appointments. I had no intention to buy anything but I came back out with two bags full of scrap paper and stickers. It's almost like an obsession to me. Must buy scrapping stuff, must buy scrapping stuff. lol

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

welcome to the insanity,,,,,er the addiction,,,,,er the INCREDIBLE THERAPY!!!!!

google or look here in the gallery for CLOSET scrap spaces,,,,even if you aren't in a closet, it will show you how much you can get INTO that amount of space and HOW TO do it,,,,you can get an idea of how they store,,,,

definitely use wall space,,,,,

curtain rods hooked to the wall can hold punches (dozens) or put clips on plastic bags and hang them from rings on the rods,,,,,they slide back and forth AND you can see through them AND they are (my favorite) CHEAP!!!!!!

Back of the door shoe hangers can hold TONS of stuff, get one thats got the clear pockets,,,,,hang it in a closet or on the back of your bedroom door,,,,,,under the bed space? Get one of those divided shoe containers and stick that under there,,,,,

good luck!

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee

You have more room than I do! I have ONE closet tht is 6 feet wide and I have filled it from top to bottom with jetmax cubes from Michael's. I love that I am able to be organized and I have plenty of room for both my scrap stuff, rubber stamps and charms. I also invested in a jetmax rolling cart which I keep in the dining room where I scrap. When company comes I roll it into the closet. Having a tiny space can be a blessing. It keeps purchases down and keeps one organized. Good-luck and have fun!

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to CommaHolly

I have one of those rooms filled to the roof with stuff. If I were to start over again or had just a small space for stuff, this is what I would do:

Use the space you have for tool storage - punches, adhesive, scissors, trimmers, Crop A Dile, Bind it All, that kind of thing.

I'd buy one Universal diecut machine so then I could have my pick of using all the different dies on the market. I recommend Big Shot, Creatopia by Xyron, or Tim Holtz Vagabond (electric). I'd also buy an electronic machine, like a Silhouette or Pazzles that does not use cartridges (you have to store all those cartridges) so you can cut fonts and don't have to buy a huge stick of alpha stickers.

I'd never buy another Collection Pack or pad of paper --it is way more than you will ever use of the same thing over and over. Buy the paper as you need it. There is new stuff coming out every 3 months and most people have a built a stash by buying stuff they won't use in the 3 months and then buying newer stuff to use instead of it. Just buy 1-2 sheets of a paper to use for projects you already have photos for.

If you must have stamps, buy acrylic ones -- they are much flatter. Instead of a pack of blocks, I recommend 1-2 small blocks (3" of smaller) and then the Fiskars Stamp Press--everything fits on it and it stores flat.

Same with embellies--only buy what you know you will use in the next 3 months.

I'd get a smattering of Copic markers (Basic rainbow plus black, grey, and brown), a pack os Smooch Sprtitz or other spray ink in assorted colors, a couple queues of Cat's Eye ink pads (stack and are small, easy to store), and a small bottle each of white, brown, and black paint. Clears embossing ink pad with clear embossing powder and a heat gun. That's all the wet media I would buy.

Neutrals -- keep a stock of neutral colored items on hand -- they take up very little space and you can always use markers or ink to color them. Spray ribbon or lace with Smooch Spritz or spray ink to change the color. Color buttons, brads, and shiny stickers with Copic Markers. Ink matte stickers and delicate lace with Chalk Cat's Eyes. Bella Blvd's new Sophisticates line has a great sheet with 4 alphas on it that retails for about $3-4 I think -- they have one that is brown and cream and one that is black and white--you can ink those cream and white letters to any color! Buy brads in silver, white, black, and copper, a good set of neutrals that are always in style.

Cardstock -- buy this in pads if you can. I like the American Crafts ones -- they come in a box that is handy for storage in a variety of different colors. I have one friend who never uses cardstock to scrap--this saves her alot of space! I can't part with mine--love to diecut with it.

Store everything you can in a rolling crop bag. If thebag gets too full, you can scrap some to use up some of the contents. If you fill a room with stuff, you can scrap for 8 months without every buying a piece of patterned paper and not even make a dent in it (I know because I am doing that right now). With all the money you will save you can go on retreats, take some classes, and go on vacation with family and friends!! (to get more photos to scrap of course)

Hope that helps! You are making me wanna clean out my room!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

tegan-nicole
Veteran
tegan-nicole
In response to Jennifer Priest

I used the $30, 6' tall book shelves in my scraproom. I think they will fit in your alloted space and have way more room than the dresser. I then use a couple sterelite drawers, photo storage boxes, jars, etc on them to hold things. a good idea i saw on here, can't remember who to credit, but they used flat rate postal shipping boxes stacked, taped and painted/covered/altered to store paper. you could do the same thing with fedex small boxes (I think will hold 12x12) to make vertical storage to hold your paper vertically, not stacking the boxes vertically.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to tegan-nicole

When I first started out I had very limited space for all my supplies, so for a while I only purchased what I needed for a project, I'd plan otu a few pages at a time and go out and buy the papers I needed and a few things of embellies that worked with all the pages I was doing. The only thing I really stored were scraps and my tools, I found my sizzix to be a huge help since I used it to make flowers instead of buying tons of flowers. It was also a way for me to get my scrapping fix when watching tv or something without causing our dinning room to blow up.

So I still accumulated stuff, but it was much easier to keep all my 'stuff' contained in my small area.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to MrsAnnieS

Go vertical! Have a tall cabinet or shelves.

I have a computer armoire, with a pull out shelf. I can pull it out, scrap, then close it all up again.

Here's someone's small space from the gallery, I thought was very nice.

http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/image/scrapro om/308484...

scrappy_lassie
Resident
scrappy_lassie
In response to Bxr-Linda

A couple of you have mentioned getting rid of the dresser and getting something else but I can't. It's basically a really big family heirloom and it's not mine to get rid of.

I started looking at jf and hl for scrapbook storage and found a few things that will help. I found some stackable bins and envelopes for papers and card stock so they can go neatly in a drawer.

I think I have an idea of how I want to work it now. Thanks to all of your great ideas! I've just got to order the storage items and wait for all of my stuff to come in. Thanks so much for the innovative tips. Feel free to keep them coming because lord only knows if my plan will work out.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

Shop thrift stores and garage sales for storage ideas--- baskets, CD/Cassette holders, small cabinets, etc.

Depending on the size of the dresser, you could use a flat piece of material as a desk top and make your own pull-out surface. A scrap of countertop or wood would sit atop a pulled out drawer as a work surface. When not in use, lien the piece against the side of the dresser.

I still think "go vertical" is a good option. Stack and build on top of the dresser.

For underneath (depending on the space), maybe an under-the-bed storage container would work. My daughter has one that's wire mesh with wheels.

Tenant
In response to Bxr-Linda

I agree go up or buy amouire; my husband brought me one and added shelving to it. My room is small but it hold a lot of my supplies. I love the china closet idea too.

Seamaiden
Guru
Seamaiden
In response to stacey40

I am not sure this is advise, but my scrap "area" is one of those skinny tables that fits behind the sofa. It has a series of 6 mini shelves in it and two drawers. I placed organizers and my cricut on top. For me, if it doesnt fit there....I dont need it right now. Not that I wouldn't love a larger space so I wouldnt have to dig through things all the time...but you work with what you have.

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee

• scrappy_lassie Said:
8 square feet is all the room I can find because our place is pretty small for a family of three. I like the idea of going vertical. I hadn't even thought of that. lol

Unfortunately I live in Oklahoma so I don't have an Ikea nearby, I don't think there are even any in the state. I have seen some of the plastic drawers like in scrappymamas' pic at Wal-Mart though. Do those work well?

Also my mom used to have a big plastic suitcase type thing with one large empty compartment and a clear lid on the front that opened to a skinny compartment for papers. Does anyone know where I might find something like that and if that would work well for any extra spillover. So I could put extra in a closet.

I am asking because I know I am going to end up with a lot of stuff no matter how I try to restrain myself. I went into Hobby Lobby once just to waste some time between appointments. I had no intention to buy anything but I came back out with two bags full of scrap paper and stickers. It's almost like an obsession to me. Must buy scrapping stuff, must buy scrapping stuff. lol

If you aren't too far from Dallas we have an Ikea on the north side. I love that place. I am not allowed to go there alone. I don't have a very large scrapping space. I went vertical and I have those plastic drawer bins under my desk. It's all about organization and labeling. I also put all my stickers on a cork board (organzied by subject/theme)next to my desk. I had them in a photo box but kept forgetting I had them. The best kind of plastic storage is CLEAR...that way you can see what is inside the bin. Good luck!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Vallee

see, I tend to think that in a small apartment where you do NOT have your "own" space, the best storage is NOT SEE THROUGH.

The best storage is furniture that looks like it was meant to be in that room,,,,living room, dining room, etc,,,,,who wants to see an entire sterelite drawer of stickers when you're throwing a dinner party?

But of course, everyone has to choose what is best for them.

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to CommaHolly

True, I didn't think about that, but I would forget what I had and have even bought duplicates of stuff. I have a carved out office area in our apartment, but I have tried to make things neat and put all my stuff up when I'm done for the day.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Vallee

check out IKEA ... I have the Expedit desk and shelves as well as 2 other tall bookshelves in a scrapping corner in my living room ... the whole space is teeny, but I can fit a ton of stuff and it suits my needs very well

rubymillerand
Guru
rubymillerand
In response to madmatter

I found some containers at dollar tree. They're a good size and they hold all sorts of things. I love them.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics